Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 PM

205 posts, read 119,829 times

Advertisements

EVIDENCE OF GOD'S EXISTENCE; JESUS AS THE SON OF GOD & THE VERACITY OF THE BIBLE
BY Patrick
In reply to fishbrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
My dear friend,

Are you reading ALL of MY post?

I HAVE addressed both issues more than once already. HOWEVER if you can't find them; PLEASE let me know and I will do so again; just for you. EVERY Soul is important. We're approaching Thanks giving so I have family stuff to do too. BUT I'll look back to see if I still need to reply to you, God willing; AFTER you have checked bu previous post within this string.

God Bless you,

Patrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Once again, I am going to commend you for your tenacity, and it's obvious that you are trying to answer questions pretty thoroughly with RCC apologetics.

Yet, I don't care about any of your answers, because you haven't addressed a very fundamental issue. Why should we believe in your god or bible?
My friend I apologize. I just reviewed my post and not one of them address your two concerns. So I will now endeavor to correct that oversight.

I warn you however that it is neither my task nor my goal to “convert you to my beliefs.” That too remains the purview of this God [capitol “G” because there is, and can be only one True God;] which I will endeavor to establish.

Also I am neither a Theologian nor a Philosopher; I am though a Trained and Experienced Catechist. A “Marian Catechist” which is a Lay Apostolate approved by Rome; to teach, to share, to explain and when necessary, to defend our Catholic Faith. So please consider this as you read on. I also am not associated in any manner with the scientific or historical communities.

EVIDENCE OF GOD; JESUS AS THE SON OF GOD & THE VERACITY OF THE BIBLE

My evidence will be verifiable by simple logic and the powers of observation of things around us.
Why you should believe in “my God.”

Let’s begin at the beginning. I will use the Bible which has two major sections, now called the Old Testament which dates up to about 4,000 YEARS ago; and the New Testament which now dates to approximately 2,000 years ago. Those facts alone give testimony to a “source’, a “Power” of both “unimaginable-might” and “indisputable-intelligence;” far greater than any person or thing in the recorded history of humanity.

“Truth” must be what it is: Singular per defined issue. Pope Benedict XVI had this to say about truth:
“There cannot be my truth and your truth or there would be NO truth.” It is from this premise that I proceed.

In proving God; I shall take a divided approach. First I shall establish God’s [I agree that the term “God”; at least at this juncture, is “my term”; not yours] “unlimited power.” My God, whom I shall define briefly here as: “God is all good things perfected” … secondly we shall establish that God is a God of unlimited Intelligence; and thirdly we hope to establish God, as God of unlimited authority. And finally I will attempt to give evidence of Jesus as MY God.

God of unlimited Power & Intelligence [2 for the price of 1 here because they are so much inter-related.]

I wish to first clarify that in proclaiming this; that there is one thing God cannot do. My God cannot be the direct and intentional cause of “EVIL.” God can and does permit evil to exist; but cannot by intent be the direct cause of it.

My God is the “cause”; the very “source” of all good things and all goodness. Indeed God is the primarily reason for “good” to even exist. So right off we’re going to establish that both “fairness” and “justice” are “good things.” God in Divine Justice can and does bestow Blessings for man’s good choices and permits evil for our bad choices. It is to be understood that these consequences follow man’s personal choices freely [unimpeded] exercised.

The first book in the bible is termed: “The Book of Genesis;” and relates is a metaphorical manner the “Story” of Creation, of which we only have to accept as literal [1] that God is the Creator of everything that exist. [2] That Adam and Eve may have actually been called “Sam & Sally” BUT “first parents di actually exist, and that they were given a perfect existence which they squandered in a desire to get the only thing they didn’t have: namely being God! I don’t wish to get too far from our focus. My post #49, which I suggest you look up and read, explains more on this topic. In freely choosing self-interest over God they “invented sin” and caused God’s Justice to inflict the human conditions of our existence as a consequences. As previously stated, I did cover this in quite some detail in one of my post #49.

From the Bibles book called “Genesis”; Chapter 1, verses 26 & 27

[26] “Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth." [27] So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them”

So then we ask: What “exactly” is God’s “image”? And the New Testament book of John chapter 4 in verses 23 & 24 gives us the answer: [23]”But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him. [24] God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth. "There’s that pesky word “truth” again.

To be clear: the teaching here is that God is "Spirit”; that is “ does not consist of -matter.”

Question #1: How then can man possibly emulate God? Or is the bible all fairy-tails? Can this mystery be solved, much less established?

Question #2: Did you choose what you’re wearing as you read this? If so; I can prove the existence of God.

The entire universe exist for two reasons: [1] that God could be “discovered” through its existence and structure.[2] That God would be glorified as the creator of it. I will use the Bible as evidence of this; as it also establishes the reason and a primary purpose of its existence.

Also from the Old Testament; the Book of the Prophet Isaiah [from whom we’ll hear more later on] shares the precise reason for man’s existence in this world.

Isaiah 43: verses 7 & 21: “[7] everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made." & 21: [21] the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise. My friend you now know something most Catholics don’t even know.

So My God creates the entire Universe [the idea that multiple gods did this is so bizarre as to not merit discussion]. The Universe is far too Vast; Complex and well-Ordered, for there to have been more than a single source for its existence. My God did this so that his created humanity; who alone in the entire Universe of Billions of stars, galaxies and planets would be enabled to discern this reality. Unique also In the Universe is planet earth; the only one that can be scientifically proven [not thought to be; but is] able to support the life forms that we are aware of. Literally one out of Billions. That too is a critical part of MY God’s design and hopes and expectations for humanity.

On planet earth with its Many Millions of things; including an uncounted number of “living things”; again, only one of them is able to love or hate. Only one is able to make complex things out of less complex things. Our cars and computers for example. That one “thing” is humanity; you and me. Nothing exist that is more perfect; more complex; more evidently God “created” than is humanity. And only man is able to logically discover and find God through the Universe that He created [a term meaning: “to make something out of nothing] for THAT very purpose.

The Universe is created so that man alone is able to discover God from the Majesty of size, Complexity Well-Ordered arrangement, [as in commanded; not even remotely possible as an accident or for that matter as a Big Bang. Where did the stuff that went BANG originate?]

Now back to man and just how we do alone in all of creation; emulate our God.

In order for man to be able to discover God in Creation; in able for man to be able to freely choose to love and to hate; and in order for man to be “creative” requires certain attributes; God-like attributes to be exact. Keep in mind here that we have already described God as “Spirit & Truth.”

My God gives to every human person:

A mind [not meaning here one’s brain]

A Intellect [not referencing one’s “I.Q.”

And a Freewill

Each of these attributes is attached to man’s Soul; which for now we will describe as “that which animates ALL Life forms”. That said; there exist a hierarchy of order for all living things; of complexity and worthiness. Man is the pinnacle; the summit of that Order.

Now before we apply the GOD TEST here; I’d like to speak briefly about man’s bodily existence and what happens when we die. To do so, we once again return to the Book of Genesis: Chapter 3; verse #8

Gen. 3: 8 “19 “In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; you are dust, and to dust you shall return."

So here we are told what most of us already know. When the human body dies it decomposes and returns to dust. Now we ask the obvious [at least to me] question. Does this mean that there is no After-Life?” Is that too just a myth?

Here’s how man emulates God; here’s how we can establish without the slightest doubt, by applying logic [another thing only man can do] that “God” has to exist.

The attributes that God gives to humanity: mind, intellect, freewill and Soul; like our God are all “Spiritual Realities.” Really????? You say.

If you doubt this; then quantify for me your “freewill.” What is its weight, shape, size and color? And just where exactly in the body is it contained? This can’t be done; yet any one foolish enough to disclaim the reality of man’s freewill; is at best completely illogical. Man’s freewill, intellect, and mind are permanently attached to our Souls; this “package” I have come to call “our Other-self.” And it is this after death Spiritual- package that our human body choices choose for us: Either Eternal Hell or Eternal Heaven. And yes; like our God our Other-Self is immortal; it cannot be killed and it never dies.

So I have, I pray, proven logically and biblically the existence of God. Physical things can come from a variety of other physical things; BUT the Spiritual reality of man’s “Other-self” can only come in emulation from another “Spiritual Reality”. It is the reality that we choose to call [as commanded by the First Commandment] “our God

As awesome as is the Universe that God created so that man, using logic and the powers of observation might discover Him; even more amazing is the other side of the coin called “The Natural Laws”, which are the Moral Laws written upon men’s hearts and embedded in their minds, so that man could discover goodness. It is this innate inner sense of goodness in all men that makes most evident the reality of God and goodness whose souse is God. Man’s Freewill however at times over shadows it. That too is evidence of God.

[Old Testament] Jeremiah 31: 33 “[33] But this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it upon their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

[New Testament] Hebrews 8: 10 “This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people”

On first reading of this text one could get the impression that this teaching applies to the Jews alone; the Israeli people; the “Chosen People” alone. And that would be a serious lack of right understanding of what is really being shared here.

The New Testament Gospel; a word meaning “the Good News!” This account takes place very early in the three-year Ministry of Jesus Christ Matthew 10:1-8 “[1] and he called to him his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal every disease and every infirmity. [2] The names of the twelve apostles are these: first, Simon, who is called Peter, and Andrew his brother; James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother; [3] Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James the son of Alpheus, and Thaddaeus; [4] Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.” [5] These twelve Jesus sent out, charging them, "Go nowhere among the Gentiles, and enter no town of the Samaritans, [6] but go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. [7] And preach as you go, saying, `The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' [8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, and cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying, give without pay.”

The other end of Christ Ministry; shortly before Christ Ascension back into heaven; shows a radical change in the Mandate and the Mission Christ gave to the Apostles: Matthew Chapter 28: 18-20 [16] Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. [19] Go YOU therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, [20] [YOU!] teaching them to observe all that I have commanded YOU and lo, I am with YOU always, to the close of the age."

Only a force of unlimited Power and intelligence could conceive of such a thing; and then make it possible and sustainable.

Ecclesiastics: Chapter 15 verse 18

“Before man is life and death, good and evil that which he shall choose shall be given to him” [freewill, intellect and mind are all essential here.]

God’s Unlimited Authority

Not at all a surprise to me; but nevertheless God’s evident authority continues to amaze me.
Matthew 10:30 “But even the hairs of your head are all numbered”

Think about this: With Billions of stars, planets and Galaxies; and Billions of people on planet earth; My God is still in individual control of each and every one. Not that humanity is actually “controlled.” Morally and spiritually directed is a more precise understanding.

My God is the architect of the so called “Natural Laws.” Laws like motion, gravity, the sun and the moon and their essential roles to earth’s life forms, including man. My God is in charge even when we wish that he weren’t. Everything that happens from the least signifient, to the life changing moments of all of our life’s are either caused by God [good things], or permitted by God; [the not so good things.]

Everything happens for one of two reasons, both of which include God’s Glorification. [1] Given the option to do good or evil, we choose good. Thereby Glorifying God. [2] Given the option to do good or evil; we choose evil. God is still Glorified because He gave us the opportunity to do good; but we gain no sanctification; no grace. Indeed; if the evil is serious enough we might even rupture for a time, our relationship with God. Nothing; absolutely nothing happens without God knowing it; and either causing it or permitting it. Simply put: God is in charge.

Jesus both true God and at the same time true man; like us in every-way but sin.

Jesus is the Messiah [meaning Savior] so often spoken of in the Old Testament. But before we go into that; let’s first ask the question: Is there any none biblical evidence of Jesus [Christ] existence?

There is not a great deal written about Jesus for a number of quite logical reasons: [1] there is not much written about any single person of the time. Even Caesar is not well recorded. Christ period of Ministry is recorded as being about three-years. That friends is a very brief time span. And yet he made such an impression that later the calendar that we use today is based on both Christ life and Christ death: BC and AD. [3] The one true Church & Faith Christ founded; is historically traceable from the time of Christ to the present, now some 2,000 year old Catholic Church. [Google “history of the Roman Catholic Church.”]

There is though some secular historic information. I’m including the site that I am quoting some passages from.

http://y-jesus.com/is-there-any-evidence-from-secular-sources-that-jesus-even-existed/

One of the earliest historians of that period was named Josephus

In another somewhat controversial passage, Josephus speaks more extensively of Jesus.

“At this time there was a man who was called Jesus. His conduct was good, and he was known to be virtuous. And many people from among the Jews and other nations became his disciples. Pilate condemned him to be crucified, and he died. And those who had become his disciples did not abandon his discipleship. They reported that he had appeared to them three days after his crucifixion and that he was alive. Accordingly, he was thought to be the Messiah.”

Roman Historians: “Early Roman historians wrote primarily of events and people important to their empire. Since Jesus wasn’t of immediate importance to the political or military affairs of Rome, very little Roman history referenced him. However, two important Roman historians, Tacitus and Suetonius, do acknowledge Jesus as a real person.”

“Tacitus (a.d. 55-120), the greatest early Roman historian, wrote that Christus (Greek for Christ) had lived during the reign of Tiberius and “suffered under Pontius Pilate, that Jesus’ teachings had already spread to Rome; and that Christians were considered criminals and tortured in a variety of ways, including crucifixion.””

“Suetonius (a.d. 69-130) wrote of “Chrestus” as an instigator. Most scholars believe this is a reference to Christ. Suetonius also wrote of Christians having been persecuted by Nero in a.d. 64.”

“Pliny the Younger was an imperial magistrate under Emperor Trajan. In a.d. 112, Pliny wrote to Trajan of his attempts to force Christians to renounce Christ, whom they “worshiped as a god.”

Emperor Trajan (a.d. 56-117) wrote letters mentioning Jesus and early Christian origins.

Emperor Hadrian (a.d. 76-136) wrote about Christians as followers of Jesus.”

Historical Facts about Jesus:

These early non-Christian sources provide the following facts about Jesus Christ:

• Jesus was from Nazareth.
• Jesus lived a wise and virtuous life.
• Jesus was crucified in Judea under Pontius Pilate during the reign of Tiberius Caesar at Passover time, being considered the Jewish king.
• Jesus was believed by his disciples to have died and risen from the dead three days later.
• Jesus’ enemies acknowledged that he performed unusual feats.
• Jesus’ disciples multiplied rapidly, spreading as far as Rome.
• Jesus’ disciples lived moral lives and worshiped Christ as God.

This general outline of Jesus’ life agrees perfectly with the New Testament.

Gary Habarmas notes, “In total, about one-third of these non-Christian sources date from the first century; a majority originate no later than the mid-second century.”16 According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, ”These independent accounts prove that in ancient times even the opponents of Christianity never doubted the historicity of Jesus. End Quotes

Personally, I find the existence of the very [and only] Church and Faith Christ founded to still exist today [now 2,000 years later, and over 1 Billion strong] to be the most compelling evidence of God, and of Jesus Christ being the “Son of God” manifested to us in human form; like us in every way but sin, for multiple reasons; a few of which I will share here, but not explain in this post:

So that humanity could grasp the reality of God through Christ, who came NOT in Kingly Majesty; but as a tiny helpless babe so as not to overpower and frighten us.

So that we could humbly grasp that God’s love for humanity is greater than man’s love of God
So that with Christ Death and Resurrection access to heaven would once again be restored; having been blocked as a part of the punishment caused by Original Sin.

So Christ could both model and teach us that He is “the Way; The Truth and the Life” and establish a new religion; with a new set of Faith beliefs; in a new form [The Church singular Mt. 16:18-19]. Pagans would have their Shrines and Temples; Jews Their Synagogue; and NOW Catholic-Christians would have their Church.

Eph.2 Verses 18 to 22 “[18] for through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. [19] So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, [singular] [20] built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, [21] in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; [22] in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place [singular] of God in the Spirit.”

Immediately after the Death and Resurrection of Christ; the Early Church was known as “The Way”

Acts.9: [2] and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem

Acts.19: [9] but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of the Way before the congregation, he withdrew from them, taking the disciples with him, and argued daily in the hall of Tyran'nus. [23] About that time there arose no little stir concerning the Way.

Later that “The Way” gave away to the name of Christians:

Acts 11:26 “and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church, and taught a large company of people; and in Antioch the disciples were for the first time called Christians.”

And a bit later still the Term Christians gave way to the current name of Catholics:

Catholic: Its original meaning of "general" or "universal" has taken on a variety of applications in the course of Christian history. First used by St. Ignatius of Antioch (A.D. 35-107) (Letter to the Smyrneans, 8, 2),

John 21:14-17 “This is now the third time that Jesus was manifested to his disciples, [Apostles] after he was risen from the dead. When therefore they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter: Simon, lovest thou me more than these? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. He saith to him again: Simon, lovest thou me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. Jesus said to him the third time: Simon, son lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus said to him: Feed my sheep.

Perhaps the most astounding evidence of [1] God [2] The veracity of the bible [which is always morally true] and is neither a history book nor a science book. It more resembles a complex and profound “Instruction book” on how to live a Moral Life; and an Eternal after-life with God. NOT comprehensible without the system of guidance and governance that He personally instituted through His Church [3] of Christ being the very Son of God, rest in the numerous Old Testament Prophecies, relating Jesus as “Thee Christ.” [The name means “savior.”]

Here my friend is a site detailing 44 such fulfilled prophesies, of which I have culled but a few:

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm

[1] Messiah [GOD] born from a women

OT: Genesis 3:15 “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel." [2 to 4 thousand years before it took place]

NT: Mt. 2: 1: 20 But as he considered this, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit [God the Holy Spirit]

[2] Messiah to be born in Bethlehem [about 700 years before it took place]

OT: Micah 5: 2 “But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel,whose origin is from of old, from ancient days.

NT: Luke 2: 4-6 “And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the city of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be enrolled with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child. And while they were there, the time came for her to be delivered.”

[3] Messiah would be born from a virgin [about 700 years before it took place]

OT: Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel. “[The name means: “God with us.”]

NT: Luke 1: 26-31 “And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth. To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus”

[4] Messiah would inherit King David’s Throne [once again about 700 years before it took place]

OT: Isaiah 9:7 “His empire shall be multiplied, and there shall be no end of peace: he shall sit upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom; to establish it and strengthen it with judgment and with justice, from henceforth and for ever: the zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.”

NT: Roman’s 1:3 “Concerning his Son, who was made to him of the seed of David, according to the flesh, “

[5] Messiah to spend time in Egypt [between 700 & 800 years before it happened]

OT: Hosea 11:1 “As the morning passeth, so hath the king of Israel passed away. Because Israel was a child, and I loved him: and I called my son out of Egypt.”

NT: Mt. 2: 14-15” Who arose, and took the child and his mother by night, and retired into Egypt: and he was there until the death of Herod: That it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: Out of Egypt have I called my son.”

[6] Messiah would be declared the “Son of God” [500 to 600 years before it took place]

OT: Psalm 2:7 “The Lord hath said to me: Thou art my son, this day have I begotten thee.

NT: Luke 1: 34-35 “And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.”

[7] Messiah would teach in parables.

OT: Isaiah 6: 9-10 “And he said: Go, and thou shalt say to this people: Hearing, hear, and understand not: and see the vision, and know it not. [10] Blind the heart of this people, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes: lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted and I heal them.

NT: Mt. 13: 34-35 “All these things Jesus spoke in parables to the multitudes: and without parables he did not speak to them. That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: I will open my mouth in parables, I will utter things hidden from the foundation of the world.” & Verses 10-11 “And his disciples came and said to him: Why speakest thou to them in parables? Who answered and said to them: Because to YOU it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven: but to them it is not given.”

[8] The amount of money Judas received for the betrayal & its use to purchase the “Potters field.” [400 to 500 years before it took place]

OT: Zechariah 11: 12-13 And I said to them: If it be good in your eyes, bring hither my wages: and if not, be quiet. And they weighed for my wages thirty pieces of silver. And the Lord said to me: Cast it to the statuary, a handsome price that I was prized at by them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and I cast them into the house of the Lord to the statuary

NT: Mt. 27: 9-10 “Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremias the prophet, saying: And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was prized, whom they prized of the children of Israel. And they gave them unto the potter’s field, as the Lord appointed to me.”

[9] Messiah would be crucified with criminals [about 700 years before it took place]

OT: Isaiah 53: 12 “Therefore will I distribute to him very many, and he shall divide the spoils of the strong, because he hath delivered his soul unto death, and was reputed with the wicked: and he hath borne the sins of many, and hath prayed for the transgressors.”

NT: Mark 15: 27-28 “And with him they crucify two thieves; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left. And the scripture was fulfilled, which saith: And with the wicked he was reputed.”

[10] In the Crucifixion; the Messiahs bones would not be broken [about 1,250 years before the event]

OT: Exodus 12:46 “In one house shall it be eaten, neither shall you carry forth of the flesh thereof out of the house, neither shall you break a bone thereof.”

NT: John 19: 33-36 “But after they were come to Jesus, when they saw that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. But one of the soldiers with a spear opened his side, and immediately there came out blood and water. And he that saw it, hath given testimony, and his testimony is true. And he knoweth that he saith true; that you also may believe. For these things were done, that the scripture might be fulfilled: You shall not break a bone of him.”

SUMMATION

So my friend;

I have responded to your request. Keep in mind that we are speaking here of things thousands of years in the past.

The practice of the Christian religion; now about 2,000 years old, is for very good reasons termed “The practice of one’s Faith.”

Hebrews 11: 1 “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” The topics covered here are profound; and often mysterious. One ought not expect a great deal more evidence than is shared here.
As I noted in the beginning; it is not my task [or for that matter within my ability] to actually convert anyone. That my friend is between you and our God. My task as a conduit of His truths; which must be singular per defied issue; is to expose you to the light and love that God has for each of us. I apologize both for the tardiness of my reply; and for its length; which I found to be unavoidable.

It is my prayerful hope that this sufficiently addresses your concerns? If not, please let me know the specifics; and I will attempt to address them.

God Bless you!
Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Sorry, using the bible to prove the bible is not a valid proof. Any book can be relatively internally consistent, and the NT writers certainly had access to the OT books. This allowed them to create stories that became self fulfilling prophecies. Additionally, the church fathers were able to cherry pick books when they created the canon, allowing for an even higher degree of consistency because of their editorial choices.

As for googling for proofs of Christ's existence, or proofs of God, I have done that previously and reviewed the arguments. I don't find them convincing. More to the point, I am responding to your thread, which has become a defense of the faith. This being the case, I am interested in hearing if you have any defense for the most basic tenet of the faith, namely the existence of god.

Frankly, I would be shocked if you came up with anything, although I am certainly going to follow the thread to see if you can. Part of my personal history is a falling away from the catholic faith to become an atheist. This was pre-Internet, so one of my attempts to develop a full understanding and give religion a chance was to speak to a diocesan Monsignor and ask him to answer some off my questions. He spent a great deal of time with me, and your answers are reminiscent of his. However, he wS completely unable to address the very foundational questions which I posed to him back in the day, and to you now.
Don't be sorry; please look at the post I just did in reply to your request for evidence of God and the bible.

We are speaking here of a book that is the WORLD"S all time best seller; and whose origins date from 2,000 to 4,000 years ago.

I'm not in the conversion business; that God's territory. So either critically accept or reject what I share. The Bible dates to about 1,900 years AGO and that is historically provable; If that my dear friend is insufficient; I'm TRULY sorry. Bit I am catechist, not a historian.

A SOUL is a terrible thing to waste. I'll keep you in my prayers,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is not correct, but if that's what you need to believe, clutch onto it! The church is not an organization made of human rules. It is of the heart and soul.

Have a good day.
OK

And that is exactly where in the bible?

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I know Catholics who believe that. They are the Catholics who believe it's more important to spend time in the church's food bank passing out food to the poor than promoting the Church on the internet.
Not nice; not Christian & not true either

Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
You brought up about Pagans attacking the church & I asked for proof of that. it's part of the topic that YOU brought up.
Please start a new string or send me a private message.

I'm struggling just to keep up with today's topic.

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know Catholics like that, too! No one man-made organization has the "right" way. Discussions such as the ones on this thread can be interesting, but they are really for our own entertainment. They have nothing to do with Christ's message.
Which might be true if I didn't back them up with the BIBLE

God Bless you, as I have said now several times:

I'm just a conduit for Christ; HE, not ME is in the conversion business. So if you can factually deny what I share; OK, if not, take it up with the BOSS: Jesus Christ

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
No where in the bible does it say that it's okay to pray to mortals, mortals are sinful in nature & are evil according to your bible.
Thanks,

AND no where in the Bible does it say: "bible" either.

Do YOURSELF a favor and read MY post # 49, 81 & 133. ALL of which prove you wrong.

God Bless you and thanks for sharring,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
That Catholics believe that the pope is somehow holier than other people. He's just another sinful human. Read the Bible.
NO!

Actually we DON'T believe that.

If my friend you wish to discuss Infallibility; then start and new String and let me know and we can certainly do that

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Why would it carry more weight? Does God care about academic credentials and resumes? Does who you know carry much weight in God's eyes?
PLEASE READ my POST #49, #81 & # 133 for the answer

We've been doing in for nearly 2,00 years. There MUST be a reason why

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 11-27-2015, 12:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
Not nice; not Christian & not true either
I figured you would be unhappy with my post.

My life has been blessed by Catholics who do the hard work of helping the poor. Some of them are desperately poor themselves. I have seen the difference they make in the world. I've attended Mass with men and women who have dirt under their nails from picking crops. They leave Mass and spend an hour or two cleaning their church....or giving food to the homeless people sleeping in the back pews. Most would have no interest in being "trained" so they can repeat dogma from Rome. Most don't have the education to be able to do it. But they pray. They work. They help people in need. That is their Church...that is their Faith.

But if you want to repeat dogma from Rome....you get to do that. If you think I'n not nice, or not Christian ....whatever. I keep getting told that by non-Catholic fundamentalists in this forum, so there's a line. Get behind the people who think YOU aren't Christian. Better yet....start a new line for all the people who REALLY disagree with you. Mine will be shorter and I like to keep it moving.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-27-2015 at 02:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality