Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 07:46 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,961,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm surprised more people don't seem to be utterly revolted and horrified at the ritual cannibalism. If I were going to invent a religious belief to make religions look more sick and insane, I don't think I could come up with anything half so appalling as that.
ritual cannibalism ? You mean like Jesus being an endless supply of blood like a large reservoir of blood would be so people can tap into it like an endless blood bank to drink blood along with eating their God ?

Not cannibalism because if the communion wine became Jesus' blood then the priest would Not feel the effects of wine.
Since he feels the effects of the wine, then it is Not blood aka not cannibalism.

Please keep in mind Jesus was Not being literal about fresh raw flesh and blood - Luke 22:17-20 - because just as the ' cup ' was Not a literal cup, but the cup was the new testament, or stood for the new covenant - 1st Corinthians 11: 24-26
The ' cup ' of praise, of blessing, of grand salvation - Psalm 116:13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:55 AM

888 posts, read 454,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
Neither am I. Catechesis within the Church in the post Vatican II period more often than NOT has been between poor and non-existent. Only in the past 5-10 years have we seen nationally a noticeable improvement.Their have been SPOTS of Orthodoxy and Obedience; but not nearly enough. And I make no excuses for this. It is wrong because IT IS WRONG!

The problem is different now than when I was in school [near the ice age]

The Church used to have a majority of parents who were Informed practicing Roman Catholics. Most families that desired to send their kids to a Catholic School were able to so. Then the Vocation Crisis, tied into the post Vatican II "SPIRIT" [forget the law their just 'guidelines] hit and we have yet to recover.

While the number of self-professed Catholics has increased; the number of Priest, Brother , Sisters and Nuns, [although gradually getting better] is less than half of what it was in 1965. So factor that in COMBINED with parents who simply either do not care or do enforce [SPORTS and other such activities win out] the Religious education programs that every Parish has to offer; AND then factor in teachers for these classes who themselves in large part part are not fully and properly formed in the faith also; and we then have a snapshot of the extent of the problem. And yes I taught teachers for awhile also.

Its a complex multi layered problem, with no simple answer BUT a lot of prayer. IF your a Catholic get involved at your parish level. I personally am a strong believer that if WE [you & me] are not a part of the solution than my friend WE ARE the problem

God Bless you, and I really do appreciate your candor!

Patrick
Thank you for your reply. Most people I've tried to engage with this subject matter simply ignore it. And apologies for taking so long to reply. It is hard to respond to your post from a logistical perspective because you managed to insert your most of your replies to my post as quotes within my post, so they don't appear above.

I was told by a couple who teach NFP classes that if a couple uses Natural Family Planning to plan to both conceive and avoid conception, as long as one was open to the possibility of creating new life by not using any other form of birth control, a couple was within the teachings of the RCC. This couple taught classes in a liberal diocese. Perhaps their explanation would not have been allowed elsewhere. I have not taken these classes myself and am an agnostic atheist, although I was once a Christian.

My original comments about the nuns and power were meant to imply that they aren't given the kind of power that would allow them to decide any official doctrine. Men control that area and still try to reign in the nuns. Think Simone Campbell of NETWORK.

You mentioned judgment. I spend no time worrying about how I will be judged because I don't think there will be a judgment day before god for me or for anyone else. If I am wrong, then I will be judged based on my life and, again, I'm not worried. I work in a helping profession that is considered underpaid, although I'm doing fine. How I interact with others is much the same as when I was a Christian. That includes giving money to others and organizations that work towards the kind of justice I think we need to promote. Enough of the social justice form of Christianity rubbed off on me that I feel a responsibility towards those around me who are less fortunate and I think it important to vote and influence public policy by taking action, besides just voting and shooting off my mouth in various forms of social media. Although my local activism has slowed down, I spent a good two decades being an activist with respect to local issues.

Even though we disagree on issues both of us consider important, I will give you credit for your willingness to discuss them, at least to an extent. I find it hard to follow some of your posts because they aren't a summary of your thoughts, they are a largely a recitation of bible verses. If someone is describing their thoughts in their own words, I generally read them if it's a thread I'm following. If their repeating the words of others, be it the bible or not, I skim them, if that.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:42 AM

205 posts, read 119,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
ritual cannibalism ? You mean like Jesus being an endless supply of blood like a large reservoir of blood would be so people can tap into it like an endless blood bank to drink blood along with eating their God ?

Not cannibalism because if the communion wine became Jesus' blood then the priest would Not feel the effects of wine.
Since he feels the effects of the wine, then it is Not blood aka not cannibalism.

Please keep in mind Jesus was Not being literal about fresh raw flesh and blood - Luke 22:17-20 - because just as the ' cup ' was Not a literal cup, but the cup was the new testament, or stood for the new covenant - 1st Corinthians 11: 24-26

Quote:
Not cannibalism because if the communion wine became Jesus' blood then the priest would Not feel the effects of wine. Since he feels the effects of the wine, then it is Not blood aka not cannibalism.
I don't expect you to understand this for two reasons:

God controls right understanding

Mt 13: 10-12
[10] And his disciples came and said to him: Why speakest thou to them in parables?

[11] Who answered and said to them: Because to you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven: but to them it is not given. [12] For he that hath, to him shall be given, and he shall abound: but he that hath not, from him shall be taken away that also which he hath.

We Catholics may not understand it either because it is both a Mystery and a Miracle. BUT the practice of religion is called "faith"; and IN FAITH we Do BELIEVE IT!

I have posted multiple time in the thread the explanation and given the irrefutable evidence for our Beliefs.

After the Consecration and the Transubstantiation takes place; WHAT REMAINS is termed "the accidents"

And as a FYI: it is the GLORIFED Body, Blood Soul and Divinity [the entire Christ] that we receive in Catholic Holy Communion. And the "cup" is termed the Chalice

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick for Christ View Post
I have posted multiple time in the thread the explanation and given the irrefutable evidence for our Beliefs.
Sorry, but you have not posted "irrefutable evidence". You have posted a number of unsubstantiated claims and assertions.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The anticondom stance always puzzled me.

It is not that different than the church sanctioned rhythm method or the pull-and-prey method. It's not like an abortion.
Quote:
Vacanegro;42186323]The anticondom stance always puzzled me.
Permit me friend, a rhetorical guess: Your less than 50 years old?

Why did O postulate a guess of your age?

Because a bit before the Pope Pius VI issued a "Official Instruction" on "Life"; in it he predicted the consequences of Contraception; ALL of which have come true; AND none of them "good."

Folks less than 50 years old may not recall that contraception [NOW a multi-BILLION $ Industry] is a quite recent innovation. You can GOOGLE it if you desire more specifics.

I point this out because it has not; and many hold; been a "forever" reality. And while the RCC has as She often does; lead the way and held the torch for God's Morality; a large percentage of Protestant churches also taught in-line with the RCC on this issue. WHY?

Because God my friends is the author of ALL life and death issues; BAR none

Deut.32: [18] You were unmindful of the Rock that begot you, and you forgot the God who gave you birth.

Gen. 1: 26-28 "26] And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth. [27] And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them. [28] And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it

THIS COMMAND APPEARS MORE THAN 40TIMES IN THE Old Testament alone

Genesis 4:1 The man had intercourse with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain. 'I have acquired [gave BIRTH to a son] a man with the help of Yahweh,' she said.

Birth is Controlled by God
John.1 Verses 12 to 14: “But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God; who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God. “

Ecclesiasticus 15:18"Before man is life and death, good and evil, that which he shall choose shall be given him"

Deuteronomy 30:15"Consider that I have set before thee this day life and good, and on the other hand death and evil"

It is NOT "Thee Church" nor even the churches; BUT God Himself who PROHIBITS contraception:

Gen.38: 6-10 “And Judah took a wife for Er his first-born, and her name was Tamar. But Er, Judah's first-born, was wicked in the sight of the LORD; and the LORD slew him. Then Judah [the Father of both sons] said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife, and perform the duty of a brother-in-law to her, and raise up offspring for your brother." But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so when he went in to his brother's wife he spilled the semen on the ground, lest he should give offspring to his brother. And what he did was displeasing in the sight of the LORD, and he slew him alsoâ€

It is God to whom ALL who contracept will HAVE to answer too

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm surprised more people don't seem to be utterly revolted and horrified at the ritual cannibalism. If I were going to invent a religious belief to make religions look more sick and insane, I don't think I could come up with anything half so appalling as that.
Friend let me know if your a Christian and I will explain why and where your wrong

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Sounds kinky!

Is it similar to the pull-and-pray method, but with one partner playing the role of the "predator"?
PLEASE see my reply to POST #291

God Bless you,
Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I imagine their malfunction with it is that it makes recreational sex relatively consequence free for just about anybody. It's effective and affordable and doesn't require a committed relationship / advance planning.
Please see my reply to POST #291

Sex is given by God to Married [man & wife ONLY] for two reasons:

1 Procreation

2. And recreation SO LONG as it in a Married man and wife AND Open to the POSSIBILITY of pregnancy

And your correct

Contraception does TEND to remove a sense of responsibility; NOT intended by God; and usurped from God through contraception. Amen

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
AND, as I understand it, Catholic doctrine dictates that every act of intercourse at least have a chance at resulting in a pregnancy.
That is correct; please see my reply to POST #91 which clarifies it.

God Bless you,

Patrick

Old 12-07-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

My friend

If your a Christian AND

If you'd actually like to know the truth, just let me know

God Bless you

And it IS a real "cup" we call a challice

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality