Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,073,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Could I ordain myself as a minister in the Flying Spaghetti Monster church and avoid paying taxes?
Praise the Holy Noodle.
Sure. That's basically what Hubbard did. He invented a religion and reaped the benefits. Scientology is a cash cow and the people at the top make millions. No property taxes and having a religion where people have to pay for courses to be part of the "church" is a heck of a business plan.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 11-23-2015 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 07:35 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,077,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sure. That's basically what Hubbard did. He invented a religion and reaped the benefits. Scientology is a cash cow.
Especially since it appears to specialize in recruiting insecure and more-wealthy-than-bright actors.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,286,477 times
I have no regard for Scientology, know it to be dangerous and am gratified at Russia's action.

As a side point, it absolutely is a religion, according to the dictionary. Being a cult, dangerous, celebrity-seeking and greedy doesn't diminish the fact that it meets the dictionary definition of the word "religion".

Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,805,542 times
Who cares about Scientology not paying taxes.

What about the larger religions? They certainly seem to enjoy interfering with politics and society. Shouldn't they pay their fair share too? What makes them so special that they can interfere with and affect the political process (seemingly more than most) without paying taxes?

Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,073,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Especially since it appears to specialize in recruiting insecure and more-wealthy-than-bright actors.
They know who has the money. Their Celebrity Center/HQ complex in Hollywood sits on a VERY expensive piece of real estate. All the benefits of city services without paying taxes on a multi-million dollar property.

The HQ is a butt-ugly building painted an obnoxious blue. They should be fined for having the most aesthetically offensive building in L.A.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
A Russian Court has ruled that Scientology is not a religion, and have given them 6 months to divest themselves of all assets. Apparently this came about because they tried to trademark the term Scientology.

Russian court bans Church of Scientology because it is 'not a religion' | Europe | News | The Independent
Unlike Atheism...that has been ruled by courts to be a religion.
So, since you base "truth" on the rulings of judges staffing courts...it is good that they have settled these matters.
There ya have it: Scientology is not a Religion...Atheism is. Judges have declared truth!!

Old 11-23-2015, 09:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,901,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know, enough with the tax breaks.
Do they even say the word 'God' anywhere?
I don't think so...

It seems to be more of a therapy/psychological group...I won't say cult, but...
if the shoe fits....
What does it matter? God exists only in people's heads to begin with. They're all therapy/psychological cults. None should be tax exempt.

Anyway, good on Russian, now if only the US would follow the lead.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:36 PM

10,939 posts, read 5,909,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Unlike Atheism...that has been ruled by courts to be a religion.
So, since you base "truth" on the rulings of judges staffing courts...it is good that they have settled these matters.
There ya have it: Scientology is not a Religion...Atheism is. Judges have declared truth!!
I think you are going to have to substantiate that one. Give us the judge and the case.

But if Atheism is a religion then the government owes me a great deal of taxes refunds!

Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I think you are going to have to substantiate that one. Give us the judge and the case.

But if Atheism is a religion then the government owes me a great deal of taxes refunds!
You don't get a tax break for simply subscribing to a religion.
One of the girls has the PC tied up...I'm using my phone.
Just Google...U.S. Federal Court Rules Atheism Is a Religion. You'll see.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:59 PM

10,939 posts, read 5,909,500 times
Quote:
“Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being,” the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.
Read more at Court rules atheism a religion
Mmm... The court did not exactly rule that Atheism is a religion but rather that one specific inmate was trying to start a religion without a deity. His 'religion' was not about a deity therefore he was an Atheist.

Quote:
The court decided the inmate’s First Amendment rights were violated because the prison refused to allow him to create a study group for atheists.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2005/08/31895/#2Lj3e6RYs1ZVEJKy.99
Quote:
On Thursday, October 30, Senior District Judge Ancer Haggerty issued a ruling on American Humanist Association v. United States, a case that was brought by the American Humanist Association (AHA) and Jason Holden, a federal prisoner. Holden pushed for the lawsuit because he wanted Humanism — which the AHA defines as “an ethical and life-affirming philosophy free of belief in any gods and other supernatural forces” — recognized as a religion so that his prison would allow for the creation of a Humanist study group.
Does that make spiritualism a religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality