Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 03:25 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,378,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Not quite. Since God is all powerful and since evil is present in the world, since He could do away with it if He wanted to, it is obvious it is needful since it is present in the world due to Him not doing away with it. One day evil will be vanquished from His universe. Until them, mankind has to learn from the knowledge of good and evil.

Did you hurt yourself? If your belief requires you to come up with this much justification, you may want to take a hard look in the mirror. This is you right now:

God is good, so God does bad. Bad exists because God is good. God does all these horrible things because he loves us, therefore, bad is good. But bad is only good if done by God. If done by humans bad is bad. But since God is good, he does bad for good.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:29 PM

7,215 posts, read 6,994,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
did you hurt yourself? If your belief requires you to come up with this much justification, you may want to take a hard look in the mirror. This is you right now:

God is good, so god does bad. Bad exists because god is good. God does all these horrible things because he loves us, therefore, bad is good. But bad is only good if done by god. If done by humans bad is bad. But since god is good, he does bad for good.

:d :d :d

Old 12-03-2015, 03:45 PM

1,248 posts, read 818,137 times
One thing where God failed in that myth is that he never warned Adam and Eve about the serpent/Satan and its lies. Every responsible parent teaches his kids at least something about "stranger danger" and how other people do not always have the best motives. God however, never even mentioned that some time in the future Satan would try to deceive the first humans. And how were they supposed to know what lie and deception were, if they had never encountered them in their childlike innocence? All they knew was that if someone says something, it must be true. God made them face the challenge totally unprepared.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:48 PM

371 posts, read 336,157 times
If players died during practice-your coach was incompetent and denied his players their basic physiological needs. Players dying or suffering does not make them better. You guys succeeded in spite of this, not because of it.

This the equivalent of a parent abusing his children and justifying it as making them strong to the world where they will be rewarded. In reality, abused children usually roll over and suffer a lifetime of severe hinderances and problems. Those who thrive thrive inspite of being abused.

Since we lack free will-you also give this abusing parent in this example a free pass...because the parent was a tool used by God in the hot furnace to perfect the crucibles he is working on.

Now I suppose those of us who die as a result of God's lessons will be rewarded afterward. Great...

Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,355,233 times
I was driving down the road one day, and a sign (or something) reminded me of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QISk0oYYpuk

"In him there is darkness at all, the night and the day are both alike. The Lamb is the Light of the City of God... Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus."

Then I thought about how the Jewish exorcism, I read somewhere uses the Shema Israel ("Hear o Israel, the Lord your God is One." )

I thought about this, during a very long car trip, and suddenly I realized that the reason this works is that "demons/evil" and "angels/good" are all part of a unified whole, that Light works by seeing what seems to be a problem as really just part of the whole. That once you stop seeing evil as a separate thing, and start seeing it as sides of a coin, the problem retreats.

The problem of evil defeats some Christians, because they can't fathom how evil can exist with a God powerful enough to do anything. But the actual issue is that you believe in evil in the first place, constructing an enemy to fight against. We all do it, sometimes just because we are bored and need to challenge something. But in the end, this opposition doesn't exist. It's just you and God. And God wants to love you, if you can love yourself more.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:38 PM

63,455 posts, read 39,713,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I thought about this, during a very long car trip, and suddenly I realized that the reason this works is that "demons/evil" and "angels/good" are all part of a unified whole, that Light works by seeing what seems to be a problem as really just part of the whole. That once you stop seeing evil as a separate thing, and start seeing it as sides of a coin, the problem retreats.
The problem of evil defeats some Christians, because they can't fathom how evil can exist with a God powerful enough to do anything. But the actual issue is that you believe in evil in the first place, constructing an enemy to fight against. We all do it, sometimes just because we are bored and need to challenge something. But in the end, this opposition doesn't exist. It's just you and God. And God wants to love you, if you can love yourself more.
This is the result of a misunderstanding about what evil IS. Evil is NOT any bad thing that happens. Many bad things happen that do not involve the willful actions and designs of human beings. They are NOT evil, they are just bad and part of our reality. The only evil in the world is ALWAYS the result of willful and designed human actions. Only humans can be evil and it is always when they act without love or concern for others. Humans are the sole source of evil in this world and we could eliminate it if we all acted out of agape love for one another all the time.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,884,681 times
Quote:
Did you hurt yourself? If your belief requires you to come up with this much justification, you may want to take a hard look in the mirror.
Yes I did but why do you ask?
Quote:
This is you right now:
God is good, so God does bad. Bad exists because God is good. God does all these horrible things because he loves us, therefore, bad is good. But bad is only good if done by God. If done by humans bad is bad. But since God is good, he does bad for good.
Isa_45:7 Former of light and Creator of darkness,
Maker of good and Creator of evil.
I, Yahweh Elohim, made all of these things."

Ecc_1:13 I applied my heart to inquiring and exploring by wisdom
concerning all that is done under the heavens:
it is an experience of evil Elohim has given to the sons of humanity to humble them by it.

God Himself planted the tree of the knowledge of good AND evil in the very middle of the garden of Eden.

God created the serpent to delude Eve.

God made Adam and Eve flesh knowing full well in advance that "those in flesh are not able to please God" and "the flesh is not subject to God's law and indeed is not able" (Romans 8).

Therefore God knew mankind needed to learn all about the knowledge of good and evil.

God is working all together for good (Rom.8:28).

Romans 8:19-21 For the premonition of the creation is awaiting the unveiling of the sons of God. (20)
For to vanity was the creation subjected, not voluntarily, but because of Him Who subjects it, in
expectation" (21) that the creation itself, also, shall be freed from the slavery of corruption into the
glorious freedom of the children of God."

So God's goal with humanity is to eventually have no more need of evil since humanity will have learned the lessons He wanted them to learn concerning good and evil.

So God is still good even in the presence of evil.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
If players died during practice-your coach was incompetent and denied his players their basic physiological needs.
It occurred at night. As the players walked off the field away from the lights into the darkness and down a hill to the locker room they didn't notice a player missing. Later the player was found dead at the bottom of the hill.

Quote:
Players dying or suffering does not make them better. You guys succeeded in spite of this, not because of it. This the equivalent of a parent abusing his children and justifying it as making them strong to the world where they will be rewarded. In reality, abused children usually roll over and suffer a lifetime of severe hinderances and problems. Those who thrive thrive inspite of being abused.
Football players do go through an experience of evil. We would square off and smash into each other to block and tackle. Players go through all manner of evil in order to become good at what they do. It is just the way it is. This is not equivalent to a parent abusing his children. This is equivalent to a coach readying his players for real life situations on the field. If it was abuse, the state would make it illegal.

God does not abuse children. Children get disease and die due to Adam's one act of disobedience and having death enter into the world. Of course God could undo it NOW but it would lose its salutary effect.
Eventually He will save all mankind from sin and death and give all mankind immortality and incorruption. But lessons need to be learned first.

Quote:
Since we lack free will-you also give this abusing parent in this example a free pass...because the parent was a tool used by God in the hot furnace to perfect the crucibles he is working on.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Could you elaborate?

Quote:
Now I suppose those of us who die as a result of God's lessons will be rewarded afterward. Great...
I wouldn't use the word "rewarded." Humanity will have Adam's curse undone due to Christ's one just act. Mankind are neutral recipients of Adam's one unjust act and Christ one just act. See Romans 5:12, 18 & 19.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:14 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,378,055 times
Quote:
Equating your football coach to evil because he made you practice is just stupid. I played 4 sports in HS (Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Rugby) and dang near killed myself doing so, but it certainly wasn't evil. It was practice.

Several players died? I call BS.

If your God was all powerful, he could certainly do things without evil, no?

Evil is not practicing football. This just shows that you, Eusie, lack knowledge of what "evil" is. I bolded what I said earlier, as you are still saying your football coach and practice is somehow "evil".

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Evil is not practicing football. This just shows that you, Eusie, lack knowledge of what "evil" is. I bolded what I said earlier, as you are still saying your football coach and practice is somehow "evil".
Going through mud, blood and tears, breaking bones, getting concussions etc. isn't exactly a walk in the park. It is an evil experience which brings about good.

37 Who is this who speaks and it comes about
if Yahweh does not determine it?
38 Do not both the evil and the good come forth
from the mouth of the Supreme? Lam.3:37-38

Last edited by Eusebius; 12-04-2015 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality