Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 01:33 PM

15,825 posts, read 6,885,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I believe in Karma

But do you think Karma just works for intentional actions?

Such as if you are just doing your job but you could have helped someone in need but didn't do you think you face karma for that?

Of if you could have done something to correct something that hurt someone but choose not to because you think you are right?

Or if a friend reaches out to you and you tell them you have a lot on your plate and you can't be friends with them anymore.
karma means action. every action, voluntary or not, has consequence good and bad. karma and consequence attaches only to the one performing. good deeds accumulate good karma, bad ones bad. it is the intention that is behind the act that counts. if the intention is to hurt your friend's feeling by lying, yes it is bad karma. you can choose to tell them the truth instead, whatever the truth is. if the intention is to cheat someone by being friends, it is bad karma. bad karma soils your soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
The only way to stop creating karma, or destiny, is to immediately listen to that voice and do not proceed with action intended.
only way to stop karma is to be dead. or attain moksha.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
The only thing I can come up with is I am experiencing karma because I was bad in another life. If reincarnation was real then karma is probably real but it's a weird thing to think about because you won't typically remember your past lives so you shouldn't suffer for them.
you are also experiencing good things in life because of good karma. ultimately karma does not matter, nothing matters. to reach that state takes total evolution where one realizes one's existence is not separate from the universal existence, and everything else is detail.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,793,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
you are also experiencing good things in life because of good karma. ultimately karma does not matter, nothing matters. to reach that state takes total evolution where one realizes one's existence is not separate from the universal existence, and everything else is detail.
Maybe but the good things in life are external. The good that I am experiencing is not meaningful enough because I am experiencing nothing to really make me feel good about myself. So in one way I have a lot but inside of me I have nothing.

I'm not sure about the last part you said. That was confusing but it's okay. I don't think you could make it any clearer.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:16 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,668,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I believe in Karma

But do you think Karma just works for intentional actions?

Such as if you are just doing your job but you could have helped someone in need but didn't do you think you face karma for that?

Of if you could have done something to correct something that hurt someone but choose not to because you think you are right?

Or if a friend reaches out to you and you tell them you have a lot on your plate and you can't be friends with them anymore.
Karma is no more supported by evidence than any other supernatural claims or woo. If some verifiable, demonstrable, predictable evidence is provided I will believe in Karma.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Maybe but the good things in life are external. The good that I am experiencing is not meaningful enough because I am experiencing nothing to really make me feel good about myself. So in one way I have a lot but inside of me I have nothing.

I'm not sure about the last part you said. That was confusing but it's okay. I don't think you could make it any clearer.
The concept of karma and reincarnation is part of a greater philosophy called advaita, which means non- duality. Its essence is that our inner soul is pure and divine, and our true nature is the same as the universal soul, or God. To realize that state of being one has to understand that the material world is experienced only by the body which is mortal but the inner soul does not experience suffering or pain, it is in a state of bliss, it neither dies nor is it born. So a person needs to develop a sense of equanimity, awareness of the oneness of all beings, the divinity within oneself that also exists in all other beings, and live in kindness and compassion towards all. That is the only thing that brings true joy. Everything else is transient and dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality