Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 07:18 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Ok I totally get this! Look I'm the first to admit that some Christians aren't very nice and on the crazy side but we are not all like that.
Oh, trust me Sandra, I know not everyone is like that. Unfortunately, there are a large number who are. Take where I live for instance, which is Mobile, AL. I work in Baldwin County, AL, which is one of the most conservative counties in the country. I know several people here who jump through hoops to keep their family from disowning them. They made the mistake of telling them that they had doubts, and all hell broke loose. Those type are not the majority, but there are enough of them around here to make people have second thoughts about telling people what they really believe.

Some of those people will then come onto message boards and speak their mind. Not all of them of course, but even a few could account for some that you see here.

The grander point is simple though. These churches need to teach their people how to be GOOD people and INCLUSIVE people, not to think they are better than non believers (or gays or whoever). Again, I know that this isn't the majority, but it is enough, at least here in the south, that a lot of people are scared of speaking out or stating that they do not believe in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 07:52 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Look pa, another insulting atheist!

So, to a theist a question is an insult? Explains a lot about you and your beliefs. All bad.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Nope.
The most common scenario on this board is threads bashing Religion in general, Christianity mainly, and a handful of Bible Literalists personally and specifically.
Typically a crew of Fundie Atheists piling on the 2 or 3 main Fundie Christians that post for believing the hocus-pocus stuff written in the Bible...or their biased personal positions that are based upon Bible doctrine.
Anybody claiming that to not be so isn't familiar with the board, or otherwise ignorant of the main content.

Yet you cannot deny that the actual majority of posts is by theists, some even going so far as to claim that this is the Christian forum. Your opinion merely supports you delusion.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:57 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
I still do not understand why telling people they do not need to go to church on Christmas Day and still be a good person is offensive but telling people if they do not believe in God they are guilty of treason to their country is just being helpful to that non believer.

The first message could even affect believers who do not wish to go to church during the holidays for medical, physical or behavioural reasons as well as those who do not want to go to church just for the sake of not believing in it at all. The Christian message on the other hand can be taken sure as some of the fundamenalists as being helpful to make you accept their religion but really is to demonize one group of people in the eyes of their group. Maybe that is why some religious people on this forum are so dishonest and nasty to non believers and the more liberal religious, because they already think these folks are traitors and unworthy persons.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Man you're on a roll...sounds like someone needs a hug.

For the 50th time...I was talking about the ones coming into the Christian forum and not being respectful. Leave us alone if you want to be left alone.

For the 50th time, you are wrong and just won't admit to it. A typical theist tactic is to try to take over everything and control all conversation while it is you being disrespectful.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I'm NOT talking about this section...jeez!

Yet you continue to post in this section telling all how to act. They ignore you in the Christian forum or did no one agree with you?

Old 12-10-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No lie...lack of understanding on your part.
I'm a Gnostic Theist: Pantheism
Reread post...I said not Religious or Atheist...and I am not.

Re-read this post and see if you can come up with the problem and the lie in it. Try for once to be honest and look real hard. It is there for all to see.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:12 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Cry me a river (post #2 sums up OP's attitude perfectly). It's perfectly OK for churches to advertise fundraising efforts and all their other programs, preach on TV and everywhere else, bang on my door frequently trying to get me to join their cult, erect huge crosses alongside highways and on many streets, print "In God We Trust" on dollar bills, and mandate public school students recite "One Nation, Under God" every morning during the Pledge of Allegiance, among other things. But when the American Atheists or FFRF puts up the occasional billboard, the Christians get their panties in a wad. Oh, the hypocrisy

Old 12-10-2015, 08:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Yet you cannot deny that the actual majority of posts is by theists, some even going so far as to claim that this is the Christian forum. Your opinion merely supports you delusion.
I'm not considering the subforums. I'm sure they are all dominated by their respective group.
It sure seems this general board splits more heavily toward Atheists (since I've been here anyway)...especially the thread originations. Cupper, Freak, and other nonbelievers are currently some of the main providers. Both old and new nonbelievers like Arequipa and Shirina rack up post count like crazy. And if you consider the amount of content in the posts it gets even more skewed.
Not counting the few Bible Literalists, the heaviest Believer offerings are from non-religious like Mystic, Trout, and others.
Your statistical analysis may be correct...but I doubt it. And if it is...the difference is not significant, especially considering the demographic of the country this board originates in...foreign posters notwithstanding.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So, to a theist a question is an insult? Explains a lot about you and your beliefs. All bad.

Most people don't like being called a liar. Especially when you offer nothing to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality