Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,307,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The intention should be to show the truth, not offend people.
The truth is quite often offensive, Jeff.

That's an immutable fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,566,374 times
Quote:
If a person with tunnel vision only listened to atheists, they would believe that Christians are pretty much the scum of society. They are bullies cramming their beliefs down the throats of non-believers, demanding that they conform and change all the laws to be stamped approved by evangelical Christians.

Atheists just want to be left alone! Live in peace, work and raise their families without Christianity constantly trying to butt into their lives, right? If that is the case, why do we have this:

Isn't this loud big billboard doing the exact thing they are complaining about? It is a big whopping advertisement for secularism promoting the value of skipping church. The atheists knew full well that such a message on Christmas would offend a lot of people, but that is obviously the intent.

Colorado Springs one of two cities targeted by Atheist group for holiday billboard campaign | News - Home
It is not even a tiny drop in a tanker full of religious propaganda and BS that surrounds me. I am an atheist in the sense that I dont believe in human made Gods and creation stories, and yup I keep it to myself, but I am greateful there is a vocal monority, even though I believe that historical expressions of religiosity could be left alone, just no new BS in public places.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:12 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,381,541 times
Quote:
Did you even read my post? Even if I agree with the message, I don't think an anti-atheist billboard is appropriate if it offends a lot of people. The intention should be to show the truth, not offend people. Course, if you find Christianity as a whole offensive, that's your own problem! Tell an atheist to turn or burn doesn't accomplish anything.

A sign that promotes anti-church in such a fashion offends a lot of people on the high end and promotes the degradation of the church on the low end which is horrible for society.
The truth, huh? YOUR truth is no more valid than anyone else's. I guess, since that is all that matters to you, since the atheists believe theirs is the truth, then then message should be fine. Right? I mean, they believe it to be the truth, and they have just as much evidence that it is the truth as you do. So what is your problem with the sign?

A sign that said you can be a good person without going to church is not the same thing as promoting anti-church. If it said, " Church is for fools!" or something, then okay, I would be with you on that. However, simply saying that you don't have to go to church to be a good person should not be offensive. It says a lot about you that you think it is.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Are you talking about the Religious Fundies or the Atheist Fundies...or the generic CrankAFundie Fundies like me?
I don't care what anyone believes...I am a Equal Opportunity CrankAFundie fundamentalist...so they are all in my wheelhouse.
Religious fundamentalists.

How an atheist can be a fundamentalist? They don't believe in God and have no religion. Period. If there are levels of belief for atheists, or sects within atheism,.... I'm not familiar with them.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:35 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

How an atheist can be a fundamentalist? They don't believe in God and have no religion. Period. If there are levels of belief for atheists, or sects within atheism,.... I'm not familiar with them.
Perhaps "fundamentalist" isn't as accurate as "Militant." There are several that I would describe as "militant" on this board.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:35 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,566,374 times
Quote:

It does get involved:
17 Kinds of Atheism

Old 12-15-2015, 09:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It does get involved:
17 Kinds of Atheism
Thank you for that. Time for me to learn something.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:46 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,887,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The truth is quite often offensive, Jeff.

That's an immutable fact.
If the truth does not offend at least one person, it's probably not truthful enough.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,349,101 times
Quote:

As I see it, some people who come from fundamentalist religious backgrounds never lose their fundamentalist mindset ... in other words, they continue to view all questions about God/the existence of God from such a mindset. Whether they do that because they really are incapable of anything else, or simply because they are amused by arguing against the fundamentalist ideas of God since it's like shooting fish in a barrel, I'm not sure.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:39 AM

19,824 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
The intention should be to show the truth, not offend people.
Unless you're suggesting that the truth never offends anyone, it is impossible to do one and never do the other.

The truth IS in fact that people don't have to go to church unless they want to. And that truth HAS in fact offended you and maybe others.

I don't believe that if the billboard hadn't been illustrated with a somewhat conspiratorial Santa and had simply said, "You can enjoy Christmas without being a Christian", that you would have not been offended. Nor, to be honest, am I particularly sympathetic to you being that fragile in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality