Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why would ANYONE think that the members of any classification all want the same thing?
Good point, actually. But then, we Christians get lumped in together all the time by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,135 times
Quote:
Why would ANYONE think that the members of any classification all want the same thing?

Because they call them self Vizio

Old 12-18-2015, 11:06 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,890,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Good point, actually. But then, we Christians get lumped in together all the time by others.
To be entirely fair, Vizo, non-Christians quite often get the same treatment, from Christian groups and from general willful ignorance.

Christians do get a lot of bad press, I'll admit; most of it, however, starts because the most vocal and visible section of Christianity as a whole are people like Kim Davis and the Westboro Baptist Church.

Sadly, until someone makes bigger strides in counterbalancing the perception that 'all Christians are the same', the WBC and Kim Davis will continue to be unintentional, unwanted 'spokespersons' for the rest.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
But MOM the OTHER kids are doing it!!

Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
To be entirely fair, Vizo, non-Christians quite often get the same treatment, from Christian groups and from general willful ignorance.

Christians do get a lot of bad press, I'll admit; most of it, however, starts because the most vocal and visible section of Christianity as a whole are people like Kim Davis and the Westboro Baptist Church.
I don't think this word should even be used. You take the and Jeffs of the world and compare them to say, my Catholic father, and they bear NO relationship to one another. That is why I stay the heck away from the word instead referring to specific behavior or ideas that I object to.

Wish the denomination of the church was the distinguishing label. Then we would know what doctrine we are dealing with.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
I don't think this word should even be used. You take the and Jeffs of the world and compare them to say, my Catholic father, and they bear NO relationship to one another. That is why I stay the heck away from the word instead referring to specific behavior or ideas that I object to.

Wish the denomination of the church was the distinguishing label. Then we would know what doctrine we are dealing with.
I understand what you're saying, but not all Christians belong to a denomination. Liberal Christians, especially those of us who are Boomers, resist labeling. (Boomers as a whole, in my experience, resist labeling and being put into a box.---- Outside of being called Boomers. )

I agree, though, it would be helpful to have a way to know.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I understand what you're saying, but not all Christians belong to a denomination. Liberal Christians, especially those of us who are Boomers, resist labeling. (Boomers as a whole, in my experience, resist labeling and being put into a box.---- Outside of being called Boomers. )

I agree, though, it would be helpful to have a way to know.
Curious. Do you go to a place of worship? You don't have to answer that. What makes you Christian? Simple belief in Christ? That's cool. Rock it.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
What makes you Christian? Simple belief in Christ? That's cool. Rock it.
You know, that says it pretty well. A simple belief in Christ as the son of God. Who loved and reached out to the disenfranchised and the poor and the sick and wanted his followers to do the same.

(Thank goodness the atheists and the Buddhists and the Jews and all manner of non-believers also feed the hungry and help the poor ... because we Christians aren't exactly doing a bang-up job of helping people in need.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-18-2015 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You know, that says it pretty well. A simple belief in Christ as the son of God. Who loved and reached out to the disenfranchised and the poor and the sick and wanted his followers to do the same.

(Thank goodness the atheists and the Buddhists and the Jews and all manner of non-believers also feed the hungry and help the poor ... because we Christians aren't exactly doing a bang-up job of helping people in need.)
So this happened to me last night. I am a regular donor to our local food shelf. Still I was chatting with a gentleman outside a store when a woman with meager purchases joined our conversation. I don't remember how it came up. But she said she had no food for her kids. I walked her back into the store and put some stuff into the cart. I asked her if she liked sausage. I did not know what to get. She replied something is better than nothing. How sad. I bought her groceries, not a lot. On the way out, she gave me a hug and told me "May God bless you." I replied that I surely hope he does. I don't care. She has food for her struggling family for one more day.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
So this happened to me last night. I am a regular donor to our local food shelf. Still I was chatting with a gentleman outside a store when a woman with meager purchases joined our conversation. I don't remember how it came up. But she said she had no food for her kids. I walked her back into the store and put some stuff into the cart. I asked her if she liked sausage. I did not know what to get. She replied something is better than nothing. How sad. I bought her groceries, not a lot. On the way out, she gave me a hug and told me "May God bless you." I replied that I surely hope he does. I don't care. She has food for her struggling family for one more day.
I believe God will bless you. I also believe her hug was a blessing. YOU were a blessing to her and her children. What you gave might be "not a lot"...but it was more than what they had. Good deeds are measured by intent too.

Thank you for doing that. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. Your kindness made the world a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality