Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 01:20 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times

Advertisements

I just read this and I wanted to share it: A Muslim man's account of his prayer in an LDS Church goes viral. When I see things like this, it makes me feel like maybe there is hope for us human beings, after all.

Last edited by Katzpur; 12-14-2015 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 02:07 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
That is terrific, KP. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Senator Jeff Flake (R - Arizona) recently attended a prayer service at an Islamic center in Scottsdale, AZ.

Senator Flake, a conservative, rebuked a certain Presidential candidate and told the members of the mosque he stood in solidarity with them. He noted that Muslims serve in the Armed Forces and were among the first responders after the attack in San Bernardino. He also noted he has something in common with Muslims...they are both members of a religion whose members have been persecuted.

Flake is a Mormon.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:39 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
These are the type of things we need to hear of more often. They do happen fairly often but seldom get noticed by the media.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:41 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,277 times
Well if the muzzies convert the Mormons, we're truly fooked.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Well if the muzzies convert the Mormons, we're truly fooked.
In Austin we often had Mormons drop in after the Jummah and join us for a late lunch. We always enjoyed their company. Hopefully they equally enjoyed our company. There is no reason people of different forms of worship should not enjoy each other's company.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:21 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
In Austin we often had Mormons drop in after the Jummah and join us for a late lunch. We always enjoyed their company. Hopefully they equally enjoyed our company. There is no reason people of different forms of worship should not enjoy each other's company.
I just can't figure some people out. My husband went golfing one day last week with a couple of men from our LDS ward. As they drove past the house where a Muslim family lived, one of the men said something derogatory about Muslims. I think it was something about that we all had to keep a close eye on that family. My husband let him have it. He said, "I'm ashamed of you! You need to stop that right now!" The guy didn't want to let it drop, though, and kept on talking. The other guy, who had originally kind of gone along with the first one, said something entirely unrelated to issues with Muslims. When the first guy said, "What's that got to do with what we're talking about?" the second one answered, "Nothing. I'm trying to change the subject." Eventually the subject was dropped. Later in the day, the first guy said to my husband, "I was just kidding." My husband answered, "Well you don't kid about that. Ever. So don't!"

We have Muslim friends that we socialize with. They are good people and don't deserve to be stereotyped as terrorists or terrorist-sympathizers. I'm getting sick and tired of this nonsense of people being so f'ing paranoid that every Muslim that they meet is probably going to try to kill them, given then right opportunity.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I just can't figure some people out. My husband went golfing one day last week with a couple of men from our LDS ward. As they drove past the house where a Muslim family lived, one of the men said something derogatory about Muslims. I think it was something about that we all had to keep a close eye on that family. My husband let him have it. He said, "I'm ashamed of you! You need to stop that right now!" The guy didn't want to let it drop, though, and kept on talking. The other guy, who had originally kind of gone along with the first one, said something entirely unrelated to issues with Muslims. When the first guy said, "What's that got to do with what we're talking about?" the second one answered, "Nothing. I'm trying to change the subject." Eventually the subject was dropped. Later in the day, the first guy said to my husband, "I was just kidding." My husband answered, "Well you don't kid about that. Ever. So don't!"

We have Muslim friends that we socialize with. They are good people and don't deserve to be stereotyped as terrorists or terrorist-sympathizers. I'm getting sick and tired of this nonsense of people being so f'ing paranoid that every Muslim that they meet is probably going to try to kill them, given then right opportunity.
This stuff makes me so mad! And it doesn't help that my family is full of folks, religious and otherwise, who have jumped on the "No Muslims in America" bandwagon. Meanwhile, my wife is teaching English classes with upwards of 70% Muslim students (mostly Saudis)! We took some of them to a small town Christmas festival to watch one of the American students ice skate. Afterwards I got so frustrated with myself, and with America in general right now. I spent the whole time hovering behind two young women in hijabs, because I was so worried that someone might try to start something with them. I makes me sad that I think so little of my fellow Americans, and sadder still that I feel the need to err on the side of caution. I do not want the place where I live to be like this.

I really have no answers, it just frustrates me so much to feel so torn about the culture I live in and grew up in.

-NoCapo

Old 12-14-2015, 05:40 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,894,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
I really have no answers, it just frustrates me so much to feel so torn about the culture I live in and grew up in.

The answer seems very simple to me - find a place with a culture that you like and move there. That is what our immigrants have done.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:06 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Way back in the day, I was part of a cross country bicycle tour. One day we were in some back water town USA that has a sizable Jewish population. One of the riders on the tour(there was 12 of us) was Jewish and was thrilled to come across a synagogue. She mentioned she wanted to stop and worship, and would catch up with us later. She was shocked when 9 of us asked if we could go with. She smiled and said that would be nice.

We were all wearing bicycle shorts, t-shirts and neon socks as we entered we synagogue. As the Rabbi greeted us, the others inside turned to see us walk in the door. You'd a thought it was someone's birthday party! The guys were given yarmulkes as we entered. The people (mostly over 40) were all over us, chatting up a storm. Wanting to know where we were from, where we were going and if we were staying for lunch--of course we HAD to stay for lunch.

After almost 4 hours, we were on the road with our panniers packed full of food and a stack of Polaroid photos!

The most amazing thing--NEVER ONCE DID ANYONE ASK WHAT RELIGION WE WERE.

We were their guests and they made sure we were taken care of while we were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality