Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 03:13 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You are beginning your statement with the idea that God allowed and condoned rape. He didn't, though. The text doesn't suggest that. The rest of your statement/question is really kind of moot if you misunderstand and think God condoned rape. He didn't then, and he doesn't now.
No, it does, you just have a differing opinion on what can be called "rape", as the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 03:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, He did, Vizio. Rape is rape no matter when it occurs and no matter what cultural context it occurs in. Stop being disingenuous and pretending not to understand this capricious God you defend without honesty.
Maybe God told me otherwise. What are you going to say about it?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
We can say what most of us - of all religious and non-religious persuasions - have been saying to you for years:

You are wrong.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We can say what most of us - of all religious and non-religious persuasions - have been saying to you for years:

You are wrong.
The poster I was responding to is one of them that keeps telling us that he knows God and knows what God wants because God has spoken to him. Not that we can read God's word....but he thinks God has spoken directly to HIM and given HIM a message that only HIM can know. So, the rest of us are wrong.

I wonder what said poster would think if I were to claim special direct revelation?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I'd say, "Wow! God's talking to Vizio! Awesome. That proves God has a sense of humor since Vizio likes to mock people who say they've received messages from God."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-23-2015 at 03:54 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 03:52 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
The poster I was responding to is one of them that keeps telling us that he knows God and knows what God wants because God has spoken to him. Not that we can read God's word....but he thinks God has spoken directly to HIM and given HIM a message that only HIM can know. So, the rest of us are wrong.

I wonder what said poster would think if I were to claim special direct revelation?
That would depend a great deal on whether or not you go the same revelation ;-)

Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
You are beginning your statement with the idea that God allowed and condoned rape. He didn't, though. The text doesn't suggest that. The rest of your statement/question is really kind of moot if you misunderstand and think God condoned rape. He didn't then, and he doesn't now.
I confess I am too lazy to go back and look. But my recollection of the posted biblical quote had something to do with if you rape someone (not don't rape someone), then marry them. I would ask you. Would the person who raped me (I am a woman btw. You referred to me as he earlier.) be good with god if, ew, he married me?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:35 PM

63,802 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, He did, Vizio. Rape is rape no matter when it occurs and no matter what cultural context it occurs in. Stop being disingenuous and pretending not to understand this capricious God you defend without honesty.
The statement was NOT incorrect, your excuses and rationalizations for your capricious God are beyond the pale.
Quote:
Quote:
What DID he condone that some of us seem to think is rape, Vizio???? What did God tell you that is otherwise???

Old 12-23-2015, 05:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,044,790 times
1. Corinithians, 9-10

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…"

Old 12-23-2015, 05:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
1. Corinithians, 9-10

"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.…"
So sayeth some anonymous, primitive, know-nothing a few thousand years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality