Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:32 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,403,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
yaknow, that pretty much negates all reason for our exsitence, and is highly illogical. ......nearly all people who have a religion claim signs from there god, just as they claim that prayer works
Faith is something very powerful!

When you put faith into something things that are beyond our comprehension happen.

But for that to happen you need to believe and experience it yourself, it's no use if I tell you.

Why receiving signals from God would negate all reason to our existence?

I'm not mad or trying to argue with you just trying to understand your reasoning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,278,564 times
I had to make a decision several years ago on whether or not to move to Texas around my family or stay in Tennessee.
I was reading a book at the time and the author had mentioned that she had asked God for a sign in the decision she had to make. She asked God to show her a cardinal and a bluebird together at her window for a sign.
I was fighting my decision because I didn't want to leave Tennessee but Texas was calling me too.
I decided after I read this womans comment that I would try the same thing. I was skeptical and didn't think it would happen and rolled my eyes as I was asking God to send me a sign of a blue bird and a cardinal together to show up at my living room window one day. Less than an hour later, these 2 birds showed up chirping. Birds didn't come around much, especially these 2 kinds of birds because there were a lot of cats in the neighborhood. The only thing I could do is stand there for however long I did and watch these birds. I then called my family and told them I was coming to San Antonio. (Texas)
I'm still amazed this happened and that's been almost 7 years ago when I made that decision.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 AM

21,870 posts, read 19,022,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
rolled my eyes as I was asking God to send me a sign of a blue bird and a cardinal together to show up at my living room window one day. Less than an hour later, these 2 birds showed up chirping. I then called my family and told them I was coming to San Antonio. (Texas) I'm still amazed this happened
This is beautiful and gave me goose bumps! What I saw as I read this was the red and blue on the Texas flag! Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:19 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,630,255 times
Yes, I definately believe that God sends signs.

The other week I was praying just before bed and I was talking to God about quite a personal matter. I won't delve into what the matter is but my lucky numbers, 2 and 52, have a lot of relevance to it. I was talking to Him for about five minutes and then wrapped it up and said my amens. As I opened my eyes the first thing my sight was drawn to was my digital clock. I was reading 2:52. Call it coincidence if you like but I truely believe it was a sign.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM

398 posts, read 815,732 times
Maybe this story will help the member who was confused about "coincidence" and "signs from God". Last year in February, I had to take a trip from Utah to South Dakota. My mother was in her final days of cancer and I needed to be there before she passed. I took the bus as I knew that airports may be closed and driving alone was dangerous. It was snowy and icy all through Utah, but we made it into Colorado. Before we got to the passes in Colorado the driver informed us that the passes were closed and we would probably have to stop. I informed the group that we could not stop as I was on an important mission. Right before we got to the passes, for some reason, they were opened. In Denver the driver said we might not be able to travel through Wyoming because of blowing wind and snow. There were semis and other vehicles blown off the road in front and behind us, but we made it through. From Wyoming into South Dakota the driver told us the road into Rapid City was closed. When we got to my stop in Spearfish it was starting to blizzard. My family had called the bus stop to say they had tried to come get me, but they had to turn around and go back. But, there were some friends of the family (strangers to me) that just arrived in Spearfish, barely making it through from Rapid. They picked me up at the bus stop and asked if I wanted to try and make it to the Black Hills. They were young, had a four wheel drive, and were snow plow drivers...very brave. I begged to try and get to my parents home in the hills. As we were leaving Deadwood and headed on to the worse part of the storm and roads, a snow plow pulled out in front of us and lead us to my parents home. My mother passed within 24 hours of my arrival. There was not one person involved in this story that did not fail to see the signs (or the amazing coincidences) of God, including the bus driver!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM

21 posts, read 61,230 times
I know that God puts people in our paths to help us. Sometimes I'll be praying about something in spirit and asking him to show me the answer. He does. Sometimes through another person and sometimes through constant prayer. Pray until something happens is my motto. Someone else said to add to your prayer to make sure the answer is clear. I believe this too. He does make sure that I am answered clearly. Sometimes too clearly. I would also advise you sister to pray for your gifts of the spirit, such as, praying in tongues. This may help your spirit get the answers to your questions.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 61,230 times
I'm sorry to hear about your mother, but loved your testimony. God Bless!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 PM

21,870 posts, read 19,022,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgendreau View Post
Sometimes through another person and sometimes through constant prayer. Pray until something happens is my motto.
This is lovely. Someone told me once, the more they pray the better they feel, and they pray until they feel better. Along with, have you ever heard anyone say the more they worry, the better they feel?! I try to keep that in mind when something is troubling me, just start praying until something shifts, until I feel better, and it always does happen just that way.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,127,963 times
Yes He does. I have many,many examples of His awesome power and love. Here's one that happened about a year ago. I was praying in my room and asked God what I should do next. I had just closed a home based business and was working part time from home. I asked whether I should go to law school or should I just find a job. I asked Him specifically that if I needed to go back to work in government I would like a job that paid X amount of $, nearby, going against traffic with flexible hours and great people. Days passed by and I kept asking Him the same question. The only other person who knew of my doubt was my husband. Shortly thereafter, I got a phone call from a person working for a municipality who was looking for a finance director. She had heard from some former coworkers about me. She left a message with my husband to call her back. I did and set up an interview. Right then I was offered the job for the exact same $ amount I had prayed about. It is in a rural area, going against traffic and I work with a great group of people. How's that for an answered prayer.
PS I love my job!!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:09 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,127,963 times
Oh almost forgot!! When I was 16 I prayed to meet a good looking boy to be good friends with
Someone kind, who would love me and only me, not a drinker, not a smoker, not a player just a good old fashioned guy with values and oh a virgin too!! I wanted someone with dark hair, good with his hands, artsy type...I prayed over and over...met him two months later in high school been married for 20 years

PS I have proof that I prayed for him..I still have my journal from 1985 where I wrote a letter to God specifically asking for this.

Last edited by CTR36; 02-11-2008 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: added the PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality