Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 03:17 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The OP said it so perfectly! Yes, that is exactly it. The signs are there but you must believe and you must have an open heart filled with love for God. God is there to guide you. Look for the signs. I cannot imagine a life without God's love and guidance.
The signs are there for leprechauns too but you must believe in Leprechauns and have an open heart filled with love for Leprechauns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,214,408 times

Old 07-31-2011, 03:14 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The signs are there for leprechauns too but you must believe in Leprechauns and have an open heart filled with love for Leprechauns.
Do you even know what you sound like when you do that? Guess not or you wouldn't do it.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
The technology to build pyramids at 45 deg slopes with 4 sides reaching an apex is not complex math. The instruments were simple and used ramparts to get the blocks up there. I cannot see how you think that was more complex than modern architecture where we are able to build perpendicular to the earth many stories high. No need to get into details but according to the biblical legend which is probably no more than wishful thinking, the Hebrews were slave labor. One would expect even in a slave culture, some folk would have picked up a tip or two so when they left making a 7-9 day journey should not have needed a pillar of smoke and fire to lead them round by their noses for 40 odd years. If the tale were true and the Egyptian Pyramids were using Hebrew slaves (they were not) and the Egyptians matched the layout to some constellation, the Hebrew folk were pretty dumb IMO.

The feats of the Egyptians does not lend credence to your myth as there really is no mention of how the pyramids were built in the bible. The only common link is Egypt and the silly movie the 10 commandments that some woos see as a documentary.

If we were wiped out by a solar flare, the earth would ess. still be intact. Man may go extinct but not necessarily everything. What wiped out the dinos? We really don't know but here we are.

Ever notice parallels between the Roman empire and the US?

Zimbabwe is not threat to SA. There have been mumblings here of land grabs but our constitution protects against that plus we are heavily invested in by many nations. There have been land restitutions where traditional lands returned to rightful owners but the folk were paid out by government, no land grab and the claimants had to prove lineage.

Perhaps in the US. I have seen andlived a parallel better than that of your jesus where an enslaved man is freed and comes to power and in a single term of leadership united a divided country. He sought no retribution. Mandela was leaps ahead of your jesus.

Your biblical utopia is a recreated earth. Whats not physical about that?

The movement of the continents should at least have you on the side of evolution instead of an instapoofed concept.

This one?

This is only a model

This is another model

You still battling to convince me we have signs in Africa? Sorry bud, things here are pretty average and no one here is playing chicken little.

There probably have been multiple ice ages. We cannot cite every single scientific discovery here and merely focus on that which debunks the religious myth. The only ones prepping for chaos are the US woos as they see an end of their entitlements in sight. Highly likely your fall will not really affect the rest of the world that much. One empire falls another rises to take its place. Economies evolve and this one was a bad exercise in futility following the lead of the US in fiat currencies.

No not really, trying to pretend science supports the bible is revisionism to the extreme. The ME desert dwellers were very ignorant. The biblical prophesies are so vague you can have multiple interpretations which is exactly what you have. There is no consensus and that alone is proof that you folk simply are making crap up as you go along.

Philosophy is not science. Merely postulation in the abstract. In my world, reality is the only thing I am interested in. Make believe is left to the realm of fiction and kiddies cartoons.

We are not looking for signs, we seek using the scientific method and that in that seeking, philosophy really does not play a big role.
You win.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Do you even know what you sound like when you do that? Guess not or you wouldn't do it.
Ah! No rebuttal then? Thought not.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I believe our Lives are indeed guided by Fate/God's plan, but we do have SOME autonomy in terms of guiding the direction of our lives. Like others have said though be careful about interpreting events as 'signs.' I myself sort of got into that a bit too much in an OCD sort of way and it caused me a bit of a psychological strife. This specific event seems harmless, but in general pray/seek clarity in divining.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I believe our Lives are indeed guided by Fate/God's plan, but we do have SOME autonomy in terms of guiding the direction of our lives.
To me this sounds a bit like saying "I can move this cup with the power of my mind.... I just need my finger to help it along". It is imagining something that is not there, and then making excuses for how you have to act like it is not there too.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Let me guess...a Christian love bomber? Someone pointing up the absurdity of such...am I getting warm? No, I got it A BLASPHEMER!!!

That's an even better laugh than the signs posted above. (Sits back to await hellfire threats.)

Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I believe our Lives are indeed guided by Fate/God's plan, but we do have SOME autonomy in terms of guiding the direction of our lives. Like others have said though be careful about interpreting events as 'signs.' I myself sort of got into that a bit too much in an OCD sort of way and it caused me a bit of a psychological strife. This specific event seems harmless, but in general pray/seek clarity in divining.
Thanks I was looking for a pretext to answer the op q

"No -we only think so." Is the answer.

There is no evidence or spoor of any Divine Plan. The Fate delusion like the hand of God delusion is demonstrably shown up when we ask: 'If it wasn't there, what would be different?' One has to be able to escape the misdirection of biased sampling of statistics ("Why does it ALWAYS rain when I want to do something?" bawls Lucy van Pelt) but the unexplainable and apparently miraculous survivals have to be taken in the context of a lot of other amazing coincidences and a massively greater number of occurrences that aren't remarkable at all. It is perniciously easy to pick out the one survival out of a large number of deaths and ascribe it to Fate or God -especially by those who want to adduce 'evidence' for their unsupported beliefs.

So, just explaining the cerebral prestidigitation so that the potential dupe will be forewarned against the trick.

"pray/seek clarity in divining" combining these two terms by the too -easy method of an oblique if dodgy. While praying can sometimes clarify issues (though I have found that 'sleeping on it' produces remarkably good results) 'clarity' can be be achieved by reasoning and comparison with other ideas, not by mumping away with folded hands asking for a solution to be given within a very personal and unvalidated system of thought.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-01-2011 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Prestidigitation, not presdigitation

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Let me guess...a Christian love bomber? Someone pointing up the absurdity of such...am I getting warm? No, I got it A BLASPHEMER!!!

That's an even better laugh than the signs posted above. (Sits back to await hellfire threats.)
You will know the man, by the company he keeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality