Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 11:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The facts are THOUSANDS of human beings were dying in the streets of Calcutta. .They were dying alone. Filthy. Neglected. Complete and utter human degradation in conditions most of us cannot imagine. You're to complain that the people who were given shelter were warehoused?

Whatever.

It's easy to sit behind a computer and judge. I actually know someone who went to India to volunteer with her in the 80's. He spent a month there, then she told him, "Now you know. Go home to California and serve God there . The poor are everywhere." He is a liberal, well-educated, Catholic Democrat with a strong social justice streak, BTW. Had he thought Mother Teresa was a bad person running some kind of con, he'd have never gotten on the plane and flown to India.
Don't let it bother you DDI.
Some people are just miserable and dark hearted...and can only see any shred of negative in what they don't agree with.
Mother Teresa was as good as they get. If I could only have a small speck of her character I'd be greatly improved.
She was at the height of her work preserving life...while I was in the military helping to destroy it.
Mother Teresa is of such noted quality, and her life and work so epic and majestic...she is about to be Sainted. And the people who criticize her...what's their life resume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 11:50 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Some people are just miserable and dark hearted...and can only see any shred of negative in what they don't agree with.
Mother Theresa was as good as they get. If I could only have a small speck of her character I'd be greatly improved.
She was at the height of her work preserving life...while I was in the military helping to destroy it.
Mother Theresa is of such noted quality, and her life and work so epic and majestic...she is about to be Sainted. And the people who criticize her...what's their life resume?
You are still letting PR and myths cloud reality.

Tell me ONE thing that was posted in the article or in the video that is not correct. You can't, because it has all been documented.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Cupper darling, I heart ya and I hope you know this.

But I agree with Dew above. MT was doing something. She was taking indoors people who were about to die outdoors...in filth and awful weather, crying out to passersby who ignored them (because they didn't want to help, or couldn't help, or needed almost as much help). People in pain. Tiny babies. Anyone and everyone, no matter how filthy, smelly, diseased. Grateful or not. Age, sex didn't matter. Everybody.

She may have had some skewed views, but then again, I mean, she was a nun. She was of course going to take the hard line on abortion and as for her comparison of the people's suffering to Christ's suffering, that may have been badly stated but I think she was trying to say that seeing actual suffering did a lot more to people's hearts than just reading about the suffering of someone 2000 years ago. At least that's how I took it. I could be wrong.

She did receive first-world care when she herself was dying but for heaven's sake...that was after decades of living in squalor. If she could have done that for all the people she helped I think she would have but how would that have been possible? Those people got much better care than they would have otherwise (actually, otherwise, many would have gotten NO care) and that was their blessing, so to speak. Her blessing was that after giving up a much easier life, at the end she received special attention as well.

She was certainly very far from perfect (and as for "saint," well, that's a church designation anyway - who knows what God thinks of it), but she was trying. In her imperfect way. I couldn't do it.

Again, NOT trying to criticize your POV, cupper. I get it, it's just that I have a different view of it. My feeling is - whenever and wherever someone on this earth is actually willing to help another, whether religion enters the picture in any way or not, I feel a little bit of hope for the human race and our future.

As for the con, I don't know where that enters in...and I don't read French either...I mean her health care was mentioned in the article, anyway...what else? I can't see that during all those decades, she was eating wonderful foods, staying in good places, squirreling money away somewhere...? What did the paper say?

Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Tell me ONE thing that was posted in the article or in the video that is not correct. You can't, because it has all been documented.
You don't get it man!
Nobody is perfect...but on a Good vs Bad ratio...very few will EVER match Mother Teresas' "good quotient". You need to get hip to that.
Just her influence for charity and love and goodness is epic. But you can't see that...your bias, prejudice, and intolerance for differing worldviews has polluted you.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:06 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
You don't get it man!
Nobody is perfect...but on a Good vs Bad ratio...very few will EVER match Mother Teresas' "good quotient". You need to get hip to that.
Just her influence for charity and love and goodness is epic.
I think so too.

I get being disappointed at learning that a "hero," so to speak, had negative points (or points that a lot of people would consider negative) swept under the rug.And I honest to goodness do understand that it's important to tell a whole story, a real story, not just the good parts.

But I think ALL heroes have these negative points. Even the most amazing person out there. We all do what we can do, or what we feel comfortable doing. And this woman did a heck of a lot and obviously NOT just what was comfortable. For her or for anybody. And as compared to what even the most altruistic people throughout history, this woman gave literally her life/lifestyle and lived in squalor, for decades. That is so much more than anyone I have ever known would really be able to do.

Dirty needles, etc...that's what she had. She was working with what she had. Plus her ultra-Christian (no surprise there, she was a nun) views. She did what she could even during a few crises of faith so significant that apparently at points she doubted even the existence of God. Yet she kept going. That really is huge. Faults or not, IMO that's what makes a hero. Or to put it less dramatically/catch-phrase-y, a person who really is working from the heart and really wants to make a difference.

To me knowing MT was imperfect is actually heartening. When you hear a story like hers you feel so far removed from it. "Well, I could never be like her, I never will be, period...so I may as well not try." To me, stories of heroes who had their very negative points, or who screwed up, or whatever the case may be, gives me hope because those mean one doesn't have to be perfect in order to make a difference...so why not try.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:

Hmmm, well, have you read ALL of the documentations or just the opinions of others who wrote this article along with their claims?...I mean, if I won a $200M lottery while living in a depressed town and I took that money and stretched it out buying groceries for everyone in town, every week, that couldn't afford to buy groceries because they had the rent or mortgages to pay and their utilities to pay, so it made it nearly impossible to buy the correct amount of food to feed the entire family everyday and the homes that they lived in were in various states of condition, would you think that I would be obligated to provide them with the same living conditions that I am enjoying?...Would you say that, "Yea, so, you buy everyone enough groceries to feed their families three times a day everyday, but, their house needs painting, they need new furniture, they need some landscaping on their properties, how dare you live in splendor while they suffer for want."...Point is, I don't think that MT was living in splendor, I think she was right there with them...Like the town is not starving for want of food, those individuals were not lying in the streets exposed to extreme weather waiting to die, they were brought in and given comfort as much as possible...It takes a lot of money to do this for that many people, so you cannot give everyone the Taj Mahal experience...I am sure most of those people were grateful, thinking that this is much better than what I had lying out there in the gutter...What your heart wants to do and what reality allows you to do are two very different things...The authors of that article are missing that point when they deride MT...

Old 12-19-2015, 12:21 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
You don't get it man!
Just her influence for charity and love and goodness is epic. But you can't see that...your bias, prejudice, and intolerance for differing worldviews has polluted you.
It is usually Democrats that think that way...Everybody gets a Gold Star...Everyone gets an equal share, even if we have to take it from someone else...

Old 12-19-2015, 12:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Thanks! I don't.

Poverty bothers me. People dying alone bothers me. People complaining about Mother Teresa? Their unhappiness...not mine.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:42 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Did either of you actually read the ACADEMIC paper? She didn't help the dying; she warehoused them, used unsterilized needles and let them and encouraged that they suffered.

Learn! Don't swallow the propaganda about this horrible creature!

Read the paper. Or watch this:

https://youtu.be/65JxnUW7Wk4
I've read a seen a number of articles slamming Mother Teresa today. And some from the Catholic church praising her.

I've seen people around here throw around the words "facts" and "academic" like they know what they mean. An academic paper is sourced (just barely). It has pages of information. This is an online newspaper article at best. The facts? She had some money to work with at the end. So she didn't want to blow a ton, since this was the church's money and there had to be enough to treat everyone. Also having money doesn't make any difference because a third world country is not going to have the facilities.

http://www.biography.com/people/moth...ies-of-charity

And she was a Catholic. Criticizing her with not being on board with abortion is stupid. "Every life is sacred" is what they believe.

Since you've proved that even religious heroes are fair game, I suppose you don't mind if I slam Dawkins then? Or Hawking?

Slaves at the root of the fortune that created Richard Dawkins' family estate - Telegraph

Stephen Hawking Isn't As Smart As We Thought - Holytaco

Quote:
Not entirely true.
Being a witch myself, relationships with others is quite important and the witchy work I do is always for the good and betterment of a situation.
In saying 'black' magic, suggests that there is other magic (as there is), such as white, and even green. If magic is all bad, then why include the word black?
You are a Wiccan or other Pagan, then. That's not the same thing. "Witch" is a derogatory term meaning someone who has misused the magic. Or a term from someone who doesn't know better who really means *****.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-19-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 12:55 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I've read a seen a number of articles slamming Mother Teresa today. And some from the Catholic church praising her.

I've seen people around here throw around the words "facts" and "academic" like they know what they mean. An academic paper is sourced (just barely). It has pages of information. This is an online newspaper article at best.

Since you've proved that even religious heroes are fair game, I suppose you don't mind if I slam Dawkins then? Or Hawking?
You feel the need to deflect why?

And this reflects on Dawkins how? Not his monkeys, not his circus. Very weak, my boy.

Funny. Go get a credible news site. May I suggest "The Onion".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality