Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I wouldn't call this a debate forum, but rather a discussion forum, although debates do break out, as we know.

Maybe just be more specific next time as to who exactly you are addressing and clarify whatever point you are trying to make.

Anyway, enjoy the holiday however you observe it!

ETA: You didn't really ask why gifts are given in your OP, but that is a fairly recent practice. People in the middle ages weren't giving one another Christmas presents. It was a feast.

Out of the feasting came the tradition of the poor begging for food at Christmas from those wealthy partiers. Only 200 years ago or so did people start giving sweets or toys to children for Christmas. And in The Netherlands, St. Nicholas, who turned into the American Santa, comes on December 5th with presents, not on Christmas.
The giving of gifts goes back to the Roman days of the first century celebrating Saturnalia. Around the 3rd of 4th century when Christianity arose to be a major religious force in Rome, the Roman church took the pagan celebration of Saturnalia and turned it into Christmas in celebration of Christ's birth.

"The first-century AD poet Gaius Valerius Catullus described Saturnalia as 'the best of times': dress codes were relaxed, small gifts such as dolls, candles and caged birds were exchanged. December 17th was the original date for the celebration of Saturnalia but due to the change in the Roman calendar that date was moved to December 25th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 11:54 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The giving of gifts goes back to the Roman days of the first century celebrating Saturnalia. Around the 3rd of 4th century when Christianity arose to be a major religious force in Rome, the Roman church took the pagan celebration of Saturnalia and turned it into Christmas in celebration of Christ's birth.

"The first-century AD poet Gaius Valerius Catullus described Saturnalia as 'the best of times': dress codes were relaxed, small gifts such as dolls, candles and caged birds were exchanged. December 17th was the original date for the celebration of Saturnalia but due to the change in the Roman calendar that date was moved to December 25th.

Good info. Merry Christmas, Eusebius.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:21 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,635 times
I watch Hallmark movies every year. Their motto is "when you care enough to send the very best." I think there's a reason Christmas is predated by Thanksgiving. We are first supposed to stop thinking about the gifts we need (I have bought myself most of those, my gifts from others are rather modest, and so are those I could afford. I figure what I want can likely be bought), and look past ourselves out into the larger world. My parents summed it up nicely when they got one extra present (might have been token) that is supposed to be for whoever comes to the door.
Jesus was born not to a world at peace but to a world in pain. I think Christmas is celebrated best when you realize you have the gifts that really matter (like your health, your loved ones, etc), and there will people to give to. Both for charity and random people. And it's about the people who are there giving gifts to you, to spend time with family and friends.
Care enough to send the very best.

Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See there were three gifts from wise men ...... So why were these men wise? , it is because they did bring gifts , as you do not stand before God without a gift ........ So what is the big deal about Christmas ? ........ Christmas may not be legally biblical , but faith in God is not under the law , and Christmas is a celebration of the birth of the Saviour of anyone in the world who come into unity with God through this Jesus ....Jesus the Saviour has brought the power to over come the world which is full of sin , and if one would follow Jesus He will rise them up for eternal life ............. Jesus said if people cannot celebrate Christ then the stones will cry out
Really wise men for sure.

I mean, only wise men would see a star in the east, and head west.

Makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality