Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 05:40 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.

The wheat and the tares are raised up together; count on that, even expect it, and then don't allow yourself to be moved by it. There is a spiritual battle going on, and the only thing we can do is speak the word, pray for others, and go on. One plants, another waters, but G-d gives the increase. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:41 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I didn't say you said, "many years." I said it. You have the gall to lecture people who have been members here for years, that THEIR behaviour is ruining the forum - when you, apparently, have only been a member for 3 months.
What has the length of membership time got to do with a very astute observation? Peace

Old 10-17-2017, 06:02 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
What has the length of membership time got to do with a very astute observation? Peace
What would you know about what's astute?

You burn books.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Q: Why do some Christians like to pretend that they not 'allowed to tell people about the greatness of God'?

A: Because they so desperately crave victimhood that, in lack of actual victimization, they have to invent it.

Q: Why do the same Christians like to pretend that being told to go get bent when they proselytize is 'persecution'?

A: Same answer.
Too soon, etc.

I would tell anyone "witnessing" to me the same thing I'd tell a door to door salesperson: when I want something I seek it out. If I'm not asking you for it, I don't want it.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:59 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,290 times
Because there is an Old Testament that reflects a blood thirsty, narcissistic god.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Why don't you just mind your own business and quit proselytizing?

If I wanted your religion I'd join it.

By the way, all this crap we get from the middle east is because Christians "wanted to help" by engaging in the Crusades. Look it up.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nope. I haven't. But I am growing tired of certain folks on here mocking, insulting, attacking Christians personally whenever we post. You disagree with me? OK...great. We can disagree. But please try to do it in a civil manner.
I do try, there is a difference between being civil and being silent. Too often simply pointing out where a person's argument -and methods of argument - are wring is taken as being impolite. This is pretty much demanding that we refrain from criticizing anything that this or than believer posts and that's what we can't do.

Calling disagreemnt with this or than religious claim persecution is nonsense and expostulating that the believer is somehow censored whenever someone calls them on this or that claim is I say, a bit of a hoot.

Quote:
And there are some obnoxious t----- that swarm every person that posts anything about God. Frankly, it's ruining this discussion forum.
It may be ruining it for you, but our Resident flat -earthist or evilooshun -denier could say that it is ruining the forum for them when they get jumped on every time they post their views. They never stop to wonder whether this may be happenning because what they post is simply wrong, and vast majority of posters here can see it. That is why they are not getting much support.

Btw, I did notice a post of yours that looked like it was damning us to hell, and then on a second look I saw it wasn't. I got that wrong and withdraw it.

Quote:
Did I strike a nerve?
No, He is putting you straight. It is a familiar rhetorical ploy to dismiss criticism of a claim by suggesting that it has angered the critic and thus, by some specious reasoning, implies that the claim is right.

It is that sort of posting that is unhelpful, does you no credit, implies that you have no better response than to cheat, is impolite and is, frankly, the sort of dishonest and time -wasting method of propping up poor argument by lawyer -tricks that has been spoiling this and other forums ever since the religion -debate started.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-17-2017 at 08:48 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Q: Why do some Christians like to pretend that they not 'allowed to tell people about the greatness of God'?

A: Because they so desperately crave victimhood that, in lack of actually victimization, they have to invent it.

Q: Why do the same Christians like to pretend that being told to go get bent when they proselytize is 'persecution'?

A: Same answer.
I once thought that the cries of Martyrdom were the result of religious thinking, but I now think that that it is related to the tactics of the workplace bully - they pretend they are being persecuted every time someone calls them on their attempts to bully and intimidate others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Just as an FYI; I think the Religion and Spirituality section is intended to sort of be an "anything goes" sort of forum. It's the section that's *supposed* to be "about" Christianity that one would hope actually WOULD be, but it rarely gets to be because of what you have pointed out above. Peace
Yes, that is a fair point. Of course, while there are religious forums that are really the homeland of this or that believer, R&S is a free battleground. I can understand the view that it ought to be somehow allocated quotas of posting views, but it doesn't work like that. In the early days, Christians pretty much dominated here and the view seemed to be "why don't you atheists bugger off to A/A where you belong? This is a Christian-dominated forum."

Gradually we goddless bastards won our case and came to dominate, and I have noticed a distinct lessening of the threads and posts putting the sort of claims we used to get, and it's all a bit more spiritual and nothing to argue about.

It may irritate the Other kind of Believing poster, but I'd say we hellbent Satanspawn have earned the dominance and it reflects, if not our numbers, the weightoness of our case.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-17-2017 at 09:12 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 11:26 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why don't you work on yourself and practice being respectful of other people's beliefs?
Why the hell do you think that people's 'beliefs' should warrant 'respect'?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
And there are some obnoxious t----- that swarm every person that posts anything about God. Frankly, it's ruining this discussion forum.
So, what are they posting about God that makes them 'swarm'?

Is it a reasoned, well-thought-out subject for discussion, or is it more of the 'atheists are persecuting me, boo-hoo-hoo' garbage that we see here on a near-daily basis?

Frankly, many of the people who post about God are just as obnoxious as the trolls that they attract. They've either got their head in the sand about the far-from-righteous antics of their latest 'Christian genius', or they're so thin-skinned that the slightest opposing argument automatically becomes 'persecution'.

At any rate, back to the topic at hand:

Opinions that run contrary to your religious doctrine are not 'persecution'. Disagreement with your particular interpretation of your religious doctrine is not 'persecution'. Pointing out that the latest 'righteous Christian hero' is, in actuality, acting like a huge t--wheel* is not 'persecution'.

Yours is not the only religion in the world. Suck it up and deal with it.

*That was a lovely term that appeared in one of Stephen Fry's social-media postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality