Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

I a person knocks on my door selling encyclopedias and I say no thanks and he leaves, no problem. If he decides to keep on with his sales pitch and I get more vocal with my position that is not persecution.

It works the same way when a person is trying to sell their brand of religion. If someone says no thanks, then leave them alone. If they give their opinion of your religion that is their right. In this country pretty much everyone has seen and heard about Christianity, so when yet another person is pushing their beliefs, it can be tiring.
Do you honestly believe that you are telling them something that they have never heard before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:13 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.

I don't know of anyone being persecuted for their faith in America.

Talking is not persecution.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You aren't being persecuted. You are a member of the countries dominant religion, there are 450,000 churches in the USA, when in comparison there are only 14,000 Mcdonalds restaurants, and those things are everywhere. There are christian schools, universities, radio and TV stations.

You are simply having your sales pitch refused, perhaps your beliefs are mocked by some for being irrational. That isn't persecution by any stretch of the imagination.
Yup, aint nobody being persecuted.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:17 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
How about offering something practical to the person having a hard time. Spend some time with them. Offer practical solutions. Pick up the phone, and keep up with them to see they are okay in the coming weeks. Keep in touch with them.

If you are simply telling them about God, then you are really not offering anything but lip service. God does not like lip service.
People who are having a hard time are more susceptible for supernatural solutions to their problems. There is something about how god has to break a person first before he can reach that person. I am sure most evangelists/missonaries mean well and believe by catching people at their most vulnerable they are doing a good service to them, but this form of manipulation is actually pretty vile.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I don't know of anyone being persecuted for their faith in America.
Uh, let's say instead that we don't know of any mainline or fundamentalist Christians that are persecuted for their faith in America.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:26 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Folks get upset because they don't want to hear about what you think they should believe.

Think about it.

Accept it.
That doesn't seem to keep you from popping off all the time, does it?

Old 12-26-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Uh, let's say instead that we don't know of any mainline or fundamentalist Christians that are persecuted for their faith in America.

True enough, there are Christians being persecuted, I just don't know any American Christians being persecuted. It the poster was from Iraq, I could see that.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
There are a few Christians here and there in the US that experience persecution, some arguably warranted (FLDS, current-day), and others not (JWs in the 1930s and 1940s; Quakers and Universalists in the 1840s, etc.)

Old 12-26-2015, 10:14 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That doesn't seem to keep you from popping off all the time, does it?

Or strop you after repeatedly being told.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:17 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Well, we have another troll like poster, makes an outrageous statement and then disappears when challenged. Typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality