Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Why would anybody who does not believe there ever was a 'Messiah' have any feeling of hate? Or any feeling at all?
Exactly, how can you hate what you don't believe exists? It makes as much sense as claiming someone hates Darth Vader or Lex Luthor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 12:21 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,442,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Praying and trusting in God doesn't put food on the table and pay the bills. For all the people of your persuasion in this world you seem to be unable to make an impact on the real world , to help people with the problems in a practical way.

Don't get me wrong, religious organizations do a lot of good for the poor and downtrodden but it always seems to come with a scary price attached to it. Those same organizations don't seem to care to stop some of the reasons there are poor and downtrodden and opt for just picking up the pieces instead of solving problems to begin with.

I would NEVER accept being a wretch before some diety. I would NEVER see myself as part of a flock of sheep either. One thing I would back and not look down upon are people who walk the walk and just don't talk the gospel.

Until you make a real world impact don't expect people to take you seriously. And even then people like me will keep one eye on you. I know history and human nature.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
they only get prosecuted, as they would say, when they force a law or belief that is harmful or doesn't match observation.

Live stopping some regular rights of gay people. Yes, we have to call the police on that kind of stuff.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
We are to witness, but we are not responsible for how others respond.
This is one of those irredeemably corrupt evangelical rationalizations, similar in turpitude to prosperity theology, though admittedly it is more of a narcissistic rationalization than a greedily selfish one.

Regardless, abrogating one's responsibility for how they interact and affect others in the way Bryan outlined, here, violates Jesus' second commandment without doing anything to serve Jesus' first commandment. Bryan has deployed the standard rationalization for "spamming," trying to claim legitimacy for spamming as part of his evangelism.

A moral application of God's word would be concerned with how others respond above all other considerations, and not necessarily with the goal being turning people toward one's own interpretation of God's word but rather simply turning people toward love, because God is love.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:32 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
telling us about their belief and making us follow their belief seem a little different to me.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This is one of those irredeemably corrupt evangelical rationalizations, similar in turpitude to prosperity theology, though admittedly it is more of a narcissistic rationalization than a greedily selfish one.

Regardless, abrogating one's responsibility for how they interact and affect others in the way Bryan outlined, here, violates Jesus' second commandment without doing anything to serve Jesus' first commandment. Bryan has deployed the standard rationalization for "spamming," trying to claim legitimacy for spamming as part of his evangelism.

A moral application of God's word would be concerned with how others respond above all other considerations, and not necessarily with the goal being turning people toward one's own interpretation of God's word but rather simply turning people toward love, because God is love.
That took a bit of unpacking, but by and large I approve this message. "Love" is too broad and imprecise to be more than a general indicator. (you only have to think of Tough Love - which is as near hate as makes no difference) and wanting the best for everyone, and allowing them to believe what they want and tell others about it - given that others can tell right back, is fine.

The problem with Jesus (and other religions) is that he does all the telling, and nobody else seems to get a word in. And if they do, they either get slapped down or ignored. This isn't Love - this is a Show trial and propaganda.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:38 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That took a bit of unpacking, but by and large I approve this message. "Love" is too broad and imprecise to be more than a general indicator. (you only have to think of Tough Love - which is as near hate as makes no difference) and wanting the best for everyone, and allowing them to believe what they want and tell others about it - given that others can tell right back, is fine.

The problem with Jesus (and other religions) is that he does all the telling, and nobody else seems to get a word in. And if they do, they either get slapped down or ignored. This isn't Love - this is a Show trial and propaganda.
It's funny, but I never thought about how much Christianity is a the hierarchy will tell us what to do and how to think, but rarely is there discussion.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God.
This is the absolute worst type of religious pushiness. If somebody is having a rough time, you should support them, not tell them that they have been conducting their life wrong, which is implicit in your advice.

I would rather have the JW or LDS come to my door on a daily basis, rather than have one person swoop in when I am feeling vulnerable and try to take advantage of a crisis situation where I am not able to think correctly. That shows a basic disrespect and contempt for me as an individual. People who do this are contemtable ghouls.

Quote:
Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Nonsense. Do you tell people you go to church? Do you wear a crucifix? Do at least some of your family, friends or coworkers know that you are a Christian? What harm have you suffered by revealing any of this.

Old 10-21-2017, 11:25 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's the same rationalization as for spamming, as well as for unsolicited telephone sales, and for door-to-door salespersons before it.

Apart from the moral questions you legitimately raise, it is a questionable and outmoded marketing strategy here in the 21st century in any event. Put up a web site, do due diligence with SEO and people who are actually looking for what you offer will seek it out. Don't get enough seekers? Maybe the product needs work. But don't accost people in their homes or going about their own business. That is a strategy that is no longer socially tolerated for feather dusters and insurance policies, much less for religious dogma.

They know it too. The two mormon missionaries who rang my doorbell one recent night at 8 pm had that sheepish grin on their face that said, "we know this is impertinent, but we are required to do it anyway". I felt bad for them, but nevertheless they were intruding into the middle of my quiet evening and I responded accordingly. I was not mean, but I was not friendly either.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:39 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's funny, but I never thought about how much Christianity is a the hierarchy will tell us what to do and how to think, but rarely is there discussion.
That's simply not true of ALL of us who are Jesus followers. On the other hand fundamentalist christianity is losing the battle to win the hearts of millinneals exactly because fundamentalists won't engage in discussion with them. The fundies just want to TELL folks what they should believe.

There is a relatively small group of Christians of whom I am a part that believes God loves everyone without exception and that everyone has an innate ability to help humanity grow in its morality. Not all will do so, and some may hinder as do fundamentalists.

So I don't tell you how to think, and I assess your own posts to attempt to learn still more. A real believer is never done learning from any source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality