Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 10:30 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Here, for all to see, if the perfect example of an ad hominem fallacy. Bryan has quite literally attacked the way BUU writes, and based on that his character. He has not discussed any content at all.

Such posts do not advance discourse or understanding, they merely serve to stir up animosity.
What did you expect! From his post #323, he appears to have a problem with any response that is longer than one sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I have to slightly disagree with you about this.
It is perfectly fine to tell people their beliefs are wrong...
And I likewise would slightly disagree with you there.
To tell someone their beliefs are wrong,( incorrect or worse...ridiculous? Childish? As
others have done) Not cool, period.

Now, to say, "I hear what you believe in and I don't. I believe this instead, and here's why...", is way different....and
I hope others read this to alter how they can make the same point, but
without saying a 'You' sentence.
I didn't live with 2 different shrinks for 25 years without absorbing a few things.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:05 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Why should it be okay for 'christians' to abuse non christians by shouting about them in the street?
We are allowed to CHOOSE our own spiritual beliefs, and this is no better than harassment over race or sexual identity which is recognized as wrong. Don't like it, ...

I do not think its okay to tell anyone that their spiritual/religous beliefs are 'wrong'.
I agree.
And, I've never known a Wiccan ever push their beliefs on me or anyone...they
all seemed pretty content and peaceful in themselves, btw. There are many here in Colorado.
My pet sitter neighbor is one...love her!

Old 10-23-2017, 11:30 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The language that the previous poster use could be a degree of vanity, although if you have that kind of vocabulary, why not use it?

How his use of vocabulary jumps to him thinking he is vain because he thinks he is the highest life form...well, that's a pretty big jump. In fact, if someone did think he was the highest form of life, and then people like you go around correcting him...hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Better he be corrected now than later.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:32 AM

50,807 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Better he be corrected now than later.
That's your vanity speaking.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
I have to slightly disagree with you about this. It is perfectly fine to tell people their beliefs are wrong. Nevertheless, what is extremely obnoxious about Christians is that they don't care what environment they are in.

After being busy for 5-6 days, I want to have peace and joy with my family undisturbed. It's is obscene and disgusting that Christians knock on my door on my Saturday or Sunday when I'm having a nice meal with my aunts or parents.

Having said that, shouting on the street about non Christians as sinners is totally fine with me.

When I come to school, I take a specific class for a specific learning goal. I don't appreciate Christians guarding in front of my classroom and blocking my way in.

Having said that, setting up a table where people stop by and ask question about Christianity is totally fine with me.

When I answer a question about my love life and spiritual path, I entrust myself in the listener's good intention to listen. I don't appreciate Christians respond with comments about my sexuality or beliefs. I don't initiate the conversation; I simply answer a question.

Having said that, debating about sexuality or religion with consents from both parties is totally fine with me.

There is time for everything. Christians don't get this. Some Muslims don't get this. Some Hare Krishnas don't get this. Other religious people get this. Then they really audacity to tell me that I don't have a right to get upset. These people are too insidious to even be around, especially Christians.
I should have edited that line. Sorry about that.

I know what you mean. Back when I lived in California, and my son was having colic, and it had been a very long night, he'd finally gone to sleep. We were about to lay down again when someone rang the doorbell. He went back to crying, that oh so loud screaming until he finally got tired enough he gave up and slept. This local fundamentalist church kept knocking on door, and I'd told them to quit. They quit knocking and used the door bell. But I opened the door, my son crying full out, and they were leaving. I told them never ever to darken my door. I was tired, mad and annoyed, not sure in which order. The woman who used the doorbell sort of backed up and said no more. Then they hurried off.

I guess it was the fierce don't mess with my kid sort of way I felt but it was good. Nobody showed up again. We covered up the doorbell.

Early in the am on a weekend? Did they figure people would at least be home to annoy?

My favorite story was from a friend who operates a sore with wiccan stuff and traditional magic stuff, and some really nice paganesce jewelry, and renfair fabric and supplies. I still miss that place, just wandering about...

He had a classes in various elements of the subject, and at one this man came, determined to save them. He started and instead of being asked to leave, they made a deal. He do his side. Then they'd talk about what paganism really is about.

Nobody changed their mind, but their visitor had a new view and the rest were not the scary people he thought. He was able to explain what added to his life of his own faith. They parted with nobody trying to change the other, except for a little respect for difference.

He even bought a few things, candles and some insense, and they parted with everyone enlightened.

It's too bad most of the time nobody is interested in hearing anything but what they like.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
The way you word your response would indicate that you are very impressed with your own diction. Those who reject God must believe that there is no higher form of life than themselves- very vain.
Complete nonsense. I don’t have to believe in anything in order to not think I’m the highest life form. It is silliness that you suggest it. Btw, I as an atheist, do not reject the possibility there is a higher being. I do reject all unsubstantiated claims of this being, which includes yours. Funny how you so easily dismiss all other god claims, with likely no investigation, other than your own.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Is telling someone to go away, or that you aren't interested, considered "persecution"?

Persecution is putting people in prison, executing them, harassing them and their family repeatedly, etc. Those are examples of real persecution. Not just refusing to listen to a person or allow them on private property to pass out bibles or proselytize.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:58 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Why aren't people allowed to point out that the story of a corpse coming back to life and flying away appears to be utter nonsense without being accused of religious intolerance?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:00 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Is telling someone to go away, or that you aren't interested, considered "persecution"?

Persecution is putting people in prison, executing them, harassing them and their family repeatedly, etc. Those are examples of real persecution. Not just refusing to listen to a person or allow them on private property to pass out bibles or proselytize.
If everyone understood this, we would all be much happier, people think they can say something in here to hurt my feelings but I can just walk away, I am not being persecuted, but how many times have I heard people threaten me for my opinions like I am persecuting them?

A WHOLE BUNCH of people think they get persecuted on the interweb everyday and God is going to punish the ones who persecuted them, AND THEY ARE HAPPY ABOUT IT.

I mean, shouldn't they at least be saying,'' God forgive them for they know not what they do?"'

I mean here is Stephen getting killed because liars were paid to tell the lie that Stephen was teaching people not to keep the laws of Moses, and he was humiliated in court, and stoned to death all the while saying,'' God forgive them.''

But nowadays if you just disagree with somebody, they think you are persecuting them and THEY CALL CURSES, and they aren't being harmed in any way, they are not about to die, but they can't even take a different opinion. Then to compare them with Stephen saying,'' God forgive them,'' they say,'' God will bring curses upon you for trying to injure one of his little ones and it would be better if a stone was tied around your neck and you were cast in the sea.''

Forget about forgiveness lol.

They aren't even being persecuted or harmed and already they are calling curses on you without a thought to forgiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality