Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 03:38 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Metaphorically, my dear, not literally. You know, like some of the bible stories.

True. And my sis-in-laws are formidable. One is 6' tall, Dutch Reformed and the curator of an art gallery. The other was a school teacher for 30 years. Both smart as whips.
Ha ha, Ukrainian stock here. And tiny. But mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 03:48 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,441,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I do!

How come I never her THOSE witnesses at my door?
Behold, I stand at the door and knock, LOL.

The gospel is a wonderful thing to understand, the temple being a woman and her uterus behind a veil with no door, and it is too wonderful to imagine as a ship makes his way dividing the water, like a Snake upon a rock that cannot be penetrated but lift the rock and there is the snake. Like a young man with a virgin, so too is the way of a temple, the secret chamber of the bride as she goes into her closet and everyone will be there. The masses are sent away while the true bride enters the chamber of consummation, and woe are those virgins who may not enter. When they go into their chamber the brides will laugh because the foolish are sent away.

When Jesus cried out on the cross, a consummation took place where the veil of a virgin was rent in two from top to bottom and the water and blood was witnessed as a testimony of a consummation that must be witnessed legally.

The Earth was planted with it's first born seed where it became pregnant, and 3 days later it gave birth to it's first born son of many sons to follow, those who have been planted will sprout again.

That is sex in the bible, the veil splitting is the veil of a virgin and why it's said,'' too wonderful. as an eagle cutting through the wind.''

As a ship cutting through the waters, as a fish in the sea.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Behold, I stand at the door and knock, LOL.
I KNEW if I prayed long and hard enough...Say, you don't happen to wear a goatee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
gospel is a wonderful thing to understand, the temple being a woman and her uterus behind a veil with no door, and it is too wonderful to imagine as a ship makes his way dividing the water, like a Snake upon a rock that cannot be penetrated but lift the rock and there is the snake. Like a young man with a virgin, so too is the way of a temple, the secret chamber of the bride as she goes into her closet and everyone will be there. The masses are sent away while the true bride enters the chamber of consummation, and woe are those virgins who may not enter. When they go into their chamber the brides will laugh because the foolish are sent away.

When Jesus cried out on the cross, a consummation took place where the veil of a virgin was rent in two from top to bottom and the water and blood was witnessed as a testimony of a consummation that must be witnessed legally.

The Earth was planted with it's first born seed where it became pregnant, and 3 days later it gave birth to it's first born son of many sons to follow, those who have been planted will sprout again.

That is sex in the bible, the veil splitting is the veil of a virgin and why it's said,'' too wonderful. as an eagle cutting through the wind.''

As a ship cutting through the waters, as a fish in the sea.
Err...I had no idea the Bible was this...juicy.

I mean this is like Cinemax.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:11 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Why do you expect everyone to care about your god, and your religion? Why go out of your way to discredit a stranger's belief? Must people don't take kindly to unsolicited advice, it is obtrusive.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Why do you expect everyone to care about your god, and your religion? Why go out of your way to discredit a stranger's belief? Must people don't take kindly to unsolicited advice, it is obtrusive.
Exactly.

Trying to force one's own preference onto the next person is just odd and yeah, they probably are not interested in hearing you go on and on about what YOU love so much...and why therefore...they should love it too. (???)

I mean what if every time I spoke to anyone I brought up how amazing Polish food is and how everyone should try Polish food, they don't realize what they're missing, their lives are so empty that the thought makes me weep, do they want to live and die never having tried Polish food, they have just this one life - just this one chance to try Polish food and then it's ALL OVER, and what about what their children are missing out on as they have never bothered to offer the innocent children any Polish food, won't somebody please think of the children...BTW here's the official Book of Polish Recipes including proverbs waxing poetic about bigos. We also offer a free pamphlet.

Actually, I may just try this the next time someone preaches at my door. "Have you heard the good news about Jesus?" "No, but have YOU heard the good news about krowki?"

P.s. Hannibal, I totally remember that scrambled channel you're talking about. LOL.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:12 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Maybe I should start a thread that goes something like: How come every time I tell a Christian I don't want to pray, he thinks I'm persecuting him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You just let them do it then you move on? And they don't have guardian adults with them, so they are unattended children? That is the neglectful parents' equivalent of shepherds sending lambs out amongst wolves and hoping that the wolves don't abuse, corrupt or devour the lambs. It is child abuse.

I wonder if you realize what a great opportunity you're passing up to let those kids know they are being brainwashed about their religion and that they're being used and abused and their lives are being put at grave risks by their own parents. You could be sending a message to those children and thus to the children's parents and guardians about their own neglect and the potential abuse or even the permanent loss of their own children to strangers.

The parents need to understand that if you were a corrupt opportunist you could be using your own powers of persuasion to tell them about other perspectives or belief systems. If you have some belief system of your own that is different and perhaps more desireable sounding from their own beliefs you could be trying to convert those children to your own beliefs. You could be informing those children that their parents are wrong and that they are using their children to do their own dirty work. At the very worst, those children could be approaching evil and cunning strangers who would take advantage and corrupt those children, or do great physical harm and even murder.

I think that you, if you are a responsible adult who cares about the wellbeing of children, should be warning those children about their parents' neglect and the risks they're being exposed to. I also think that you should be reporting to your community's local authorities about the parents' neglect and the risks of grave danger that they are subjecting their children to every time they expect the kids to seek and confront strangers.
What's wrong with just pulling out the plastic devil's horns and putting those on his head? He'd scare the crap out of those kids and teach them a lesson all at the same time. Win/win. If it was me, I'd tell the kids I was going to put a hex on them and then drool and start chanting.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:34 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

....... What's wrong with just pulling out the plastic devil's horns and putting those on his head? He'd scare the crap out of those kids and teach them a lesson all at the same time. Win/win. If it was me, I'd tell the kids I was going to put a hex on them and then drool and start chanting.
I wouldn't have a problem with pulling stunts like that on adults, but I wouldn't do it to kids. After all as Floorist said, it isn't the kids fault that the parents/guardians are making their unsupervised children to go out and approach strangers and offer prayers for healing.

I wouldn't try to scare kids who might already be feeling rather traumatized or humiliated because of their parents brainwashing and unrealistic expectations. It would be like adding insult to injury and might make the kids own emotional/intellectual situation worse than it already is.

I'd prefer to encourage the children to start thinking rationally and critically for themselves and to recognize the very real peril their own parents are putting them into and that there's something wrong with their parents.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:52 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.

If you start preaching to me, you are cramming your beliefs down my throat. If I ask you to preach, then its OK.

I would say that God should have prevented people from having a rough time, not wait to be prayed to fix something he allowed. If you allowed a Car to run over me, should I trust you to fix it? Ridiculous.

Of course your allowed to say you don't believe. Your allowed to say you believe aren't you? No one cares if you believe or why you believe, but your allowed to say you do, even if I don't care. Just save the Sermons for some one who cares.

Don't be scared. Just be Considerate, and keep your Religious opinions to yourself unless asked for them.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:21 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
If I started knocking on strangers doors proselytizing my religion, what would happen by the time I reached the 3rd house?

1. I'd be arrested as a suspected terrorist
2. I'd be shot
3. I would be physically assaulted
4. I'd be banned from Pizza Hut for life.
5. I'd be forced to read the Bible under threat of bodily harm.

You pick more than 1 option.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Let me ask you a different question:

How is telling me my faith is 'wrong' going to help me, spiritually? I mean, you're free to share -- I'm not going to deny you your legal rights -- but when we indicate that we're not interested in converting, out come the Claws of Judgement, with much 'pressing the point' and attempting to prove yourselves by sharing the fact that Jesus died for us, our sins will send us to hell, etc, etc.

We've heard it all before. Often. Some of us have heard it so much that we're tired of hearing it. Some of us, in fact, live in areas where we can't stop hearing it, or seeing it, or being subject to it.

Let me put this in perspective. I'm going to share a paragraph from a video I saw a few weeks ago (it's called 'tea and consent', and relates to sexual consent, but the metaphor still works):

Quote:
"If you say 'Hey, would you like a cup of tea?' and they're like, 'Uh, you know, I'm not really sure,' then you can make them a cup of tea, or not, but be aware that that they might not drink it. And if they don't drink it, then—and this is the important bit—don't make them drink it. Just because you made it doesn't mean you're entitled to watch them drink it. And if they say, 'No, thank you', then don't make them tea. At all."

Basically, some of us feel that you make us tea when we don't want a cup of tea, and then try to force us to drink the tea that we didn't want in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality