U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 08:45 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,738,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I don't know of anyone being persecuted for their faith in America.
Several of the Republican candidates for President disagree with you. As do their supporters... How dare you mock their martyrdom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 09:02 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

How come I never her THOSE witnesses at my door?

P.s. I'm willing to at least explore the faith, provided the witness has one of those cute little goatees. OMG I just love those goatees.
Because you're in the SGV, silly.

Those witnesses are in the Silver Lake District. ........ Well, they were before it was gentrified and got all respectable.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:06 PM

51,225 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Metaphorically, my dear, not literally. You know, like some of the bible stories.

True. And my sis-in-laws are formidable. One is 6' tall, Dutch Reformed and the curator of an art gallery. The other was a school teacher for 30 years. Both smart as whips.
Hey, wonder if that first one is related to me!

Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 PM

25,357 posts, read 24,151,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Because you're in the SGV, silly.

Those witnesses are in the Silver Lake District. ........ Well, they were before it was gentrified and got all respectable.

Ha ha, tried to rep ya, Dew.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 PM

8,582 posts, read 5,115,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You routinely tell me and everyone on this board that anyone who believes in religion is dumb. Nah...you may not use that exact word, but you're pretty mean-spirited to anyone who actually lives their life as a Christian.
I have religion in my life, and Troutdude has never told me I am dumb, and I routinely practice the "doing" portion of faith which is the only tangible proof one has that they take their faith seriously. He has had some serious questions about one or two of my beliefs. But questioning what I believe is not crucifying me.

When one talks the talk without walking the walk, those without your faith feel betrayed. "An open mind is like an open mouth: its purpose is to bite on something nourishing." (G.K. Chesterton)

Why would some feel that you aren't offering anything nourishing? That's the problem with fundamentalist christianity--it isn't telling anyone Good News, it's offering junk food. Leave sin alone--we all have it and we all know it--instead offer the hope that is like a light shining in darkness--God loves us no matter what sins we have, and is desirous that all men come to Him. Faith without works is junk food. It makes the partaker temporarily satisfied, but it has no long term lasting effect that doesn't show up in what they do.

You are not a "sin-eater." But God is--and that's Good News. He is Immanuel, and we frequently find Him dwelling in people we prefer to avoid.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:44 PM

1,345 posts, read 1,397,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You aren't being persecuted. You are a member of the countries dominant religion, there are 450,000 churches in the USA, when in comparison there are only 14,000 Mcdonalds restaurants, and those things are everywhere. There are christian schools, universities, radio and TV stations.

You are simply having your sales pitch refused, perhaps your beliefs are mocked by some for being irrational. That isn't persecution by any stretch of the imagination.
Great post. Yes I hardly call 450,000 churches being persecuted not to mention the Christian billboards, TV shows, radio shows, books and other media put out by Christians in this country. Christians, put your big boy pants on and stop looking like fools with your persecution complex. In the age on the internet and other media, you just don't like your delusional sick religion being challenged openly. Too bad.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:18 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,315,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm also a Christian....and I enjoy having people from other religions come to my door to try to convert me. It's fun.
And when they fail at converting you to their particular brand of Christianity, does that mean THEY are being persecuted? Because that's what I got from the OP.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:35 AM

129 posts, read 44,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
And when they fail at converting you to their particular brand of Christianity, does that mean THEY are being persecuted? Because that's what I got from the OP.
In this context, I think persecution simply means losing the traditional influence on people and being looked down by the media or people. Christianity, the fundamentalist version of it, is definitely looked down by many people because it's a toxic religion. However, it's still far from true persecution. If Christians are truly persecuted, I will fight for their freedom. As much as I wish Abrahamic faith to be banished from the surface of the Earth so that people can live in happiness without guilt, I will never support or condone a law that prohibits Christians from expressing their opinions no matter how offensive those ideas are.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:52 AM

25,357 posts, read 24,151,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
In this context, I think persecution simply means losing the traditional influence on people and being looked down by the media or people. Christianity, the fundamentalist version of it, is definitely looked down by many people because it's a toxic religion. However, it's still far from true persecution. If Christians are truly persecuted, I will fight for their freedom. As much as I wish Abrahamic faith to be banished from the surface of the Earth so that people can live in happiness without guilt, I will never support or condone a law that prohibits Christians from expressing their opinions no matter how offensive those ideas are.
Exactly. When these people are being refused jobs and shunned in their neighborhoods and having icons burned on their lawns and "get out, we don't want you around here" rocks thrown through their living room windows and their cars being set on fire, then they'll have my complete sympathy as regards persecution.

"Wah - I'm getting flack when I approach total strangers to tell them how wrong they are for being themselves and having their own beliefs" IS NOT PERSECUTION, people.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 AM

1,563 posts, read 1,511,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Christianity has a deserved, bad reputation; a lot of people have become fed up with the garbage that goes on in the name of "Christianity". I would just be wary of who you talk to as they may have had some experience with some of the hypocritical nonsense and other such stuff that has caused God's name to be blasphemed among non-believers. Instead of praising God openly before non-believers, which is a desirable thing in some situations, I would focus more on conforming one's own life to Christ's and let that be your witness to them. There can be some situations where God has opened a door for a Christian to discuss the idea of the Christian God with a non-believer, but it may not always be a good idea to try to force those doors open and talk to someone who has a hardened heart against God (consider the casting pearls before swine example). On the other hand, you may not get a good reaction, but then you may just be the sower and someone else may reap in the process of their conversion; you just never know.

Quote:
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat.
If it is non-solicited, I think it can be seen this way; on the other hand, if someone asks about someone else's beliefs and this is the reply then the one who asked should just say in turn that they don't want to hear about it and not get all upset.

Quote:
This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Why be scared of people? What is it that they can do to you? If it is just because they get upset then you've come to the wrong religion for that--most people hate God and you'll often get a hostile reaction. No one but God can change that. Maybe, instead of just telling those who are having a rough time to pray and trust God, you might try asking them about their spiritual beliefs instead and in this way start a conversation about God. It may be that if you are telling them to pray and trust God they are getting upset because you're automatically assuming they have a relationship with God when many people don't.

On the whole though, I really do admire you for being so open about your beliefs and talking to people about God. I wish I could do that more often; I suppose, having been an atheist for so long a certain way of conversing with people has been ingrained in me or something. Most of the time I feel really awkward talking to people about God. Instead I try to focus on being a good example, but try to keep on a look-out for a door, I guess it'd have to be a pretty obvious door for me, to open so I can discuss my beliefs with others.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 12-27-2015 at 03:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or