U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:25 PM

847 posts, read 1,162,122 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:44 PM
Status: "Slightly epter than last Thursday." (set 3 days ago)

22,837 posts, read 11,809,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
I just don't understand why we cannot tell people about how good God is and how he can help people who have a relationship with him without people saying we are cramming our beliefs down their throat. Christians just want to help. I think some go overboard but if a person has a rough time in their life I try to tell them to pray and trust God. Nowadays, you can't even go public with your beliefs yet it is ok for people to say that they don't believe in God. This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Folks get upset because they don't want to hear about what you think they should believe.

Think about it.

Accept it.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:11 AM

1,345 posts, read 1,383,814 times
Quote:
Have you read the Old Testament in it's entirety? Atheists like myself don't want to worship, pray to or respect a psychopath like the God of the Bible. All this "God is all good" is a load of crap. Besides that God doesn't even exist and even if Bible God existed I wouldn't respect or worship it. I have too much self-respect for myself to do that.

Old 12-26-2015, 12:17 AM

2,789 posts, read 987,967 times
Quote:

You try to convince people that thousands of years ago a corpse came back to life and subsequently flew away. They point out to you in detail how incredibly fulla-bulla that story is, and may well even exhibit a familiarity with the story superior to your own. And THAT"S what you call "being persecuted?" How would YOU go about telling someone that's fulla-bulla, that they are fulla-bulla?

Old 12-26-2015, 12:50 AM

5,827 posts, read 5,672,635 times
Quote:

.... <snip> .... This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
That's good then. You should be scared. That's the whole point, that you should not be trying to convince unwilling people about any gods or religions, especially not people who get upset with you. If you have to convince somebody about whatever god/religion you're trying to sell to them then it means they aren't initially ready or interested to hear about it. Convincing someone means you are trying to persuade or coerce somebody, trying to impose and exert your will power over them, and that is wrong. It's a guaranteed way to make many people reject your sales pitch more strongly and permanently than it would have been if you had approached them with friendly indifference. When somebody is ready to know about whatever you're wanting to sell to them you won't have to convince them of anything or use your powers of persuasion. It isn't necessary.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:10 AM

9,650 posts, read 4,009,390 times
Quote:
This is why I am scared to try to convince people to come to God. Folks get so upset.
Be scared, it's not your place to convince anyone of anything with respect to religion.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 AM

5,455 posts, read 2,536,883 times
Quote:
Your good God hypothesis just isn't very convincing to someone like me who had to watch my beautiful, innocent young son growing up miserable, entering adulthood miserable, suffering mental pain and bitter disappointment and finally taking his life because he couldn't bear his pain any longer.

No amount of believing, praying, pleading, begging etc invoked just the slightest hint of sympathy, let alone help. I have lived two years of hell now. If someone were to come telling me how good God was I recon I could be forgiven for thumping them! Well, telling them were to go and what to do with themselves! (Using words you won't find in the bible).

Does that answer your question?

My appologies if it sounds like I am expressing some inner rage. It's not directed at you, just at the thought that there was some sort of "good God" who would sit back and watch while some six million if his chosen people were brutally murdered and my own son suffered!

But the reality is that your "good God" does not actually exist.

Last edited by 303Guy; 12-26-2015 at 02:32 AM..

Old 12-26-2015, 02:56 AM

129 posts, read 44,119 times
Quote:
I'm not an atheist, but I'm not a Christian, either. You should be able to spread your belief if you sincerely believe in your God. However,

1/ When I say "no, thanks. I'm not interested", I expect you to respect my wish and leave me alone.
2/ Even if I agree to listen to your offer, in my mind, I despise people like you very much. Christians and Muslims just want to take advantage of people's vulnerable circumstances to preach. It's not illegal, but it's insidious.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:10 AM

870 posts, read 745,730 times
You're welcome to tell me how great your imaginary God is (I won't sue you for saying something to me that I've no interest in hearing), but then I will interpret that as an invitation to ridicule those delusions.

Go on and tell me about your 'relationship' with God, because I could do with a good laugh.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:17 AM

6,665 posts, read 11,592,283 times
Quote:
What I always find surprising about these posts is that the OP never seems to acknowledge that if, say, a Muslim went to HIM to try to convince HIM that Islam is "the way," the OP would be offended and appalled. But somehow the OP's god is "the one" that we all need to hear about. Um, OP, those who believe in OTHER religions believe in THEIRS as much as you apparently believe in yours.

OP, what if I said to you, "You must believe in the god Mabel* in order to be saved. If you do not accept the god Mabel as your lord and savior, you will be damned for all eternity." You would look at me as if I were crazy, right? Well ...

========

*Mabel is my much-loved cat who died back in 2007. She was kinda like a god to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or