Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 06:40 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Whatever. I have no personal interest in the Greek gods. No do I care if atheists reject my proofs for God. Atheist seem to care deeply. They must live with the burden of their angst. Me? I am fine with life. No angst.
Thank you. That's all you needed to say.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:42 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Could you provide a source for this statement?
No they can't, because it most likely is not true.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
It is also kind of like when an atheist has said on these boards: "Jesus never existed." My response: prove it.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:48 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
I knew it. Matadora. As if I don't already have a raging headache.

There are indeed testaments of faith by scientists.

Way back when, people believed that flies literally sprung from thin air. That the universe orbited the Earth. Then science disproved this, that the universe orbited the sun. Then science disproved this, and found that the solar system orbited the Sun, except for Pluto which kinda orbits Neptune I think it was, while the rest of the universe orbited other stars.

No, that was not a claim of religion. It was a claim of early science. Science has always made claims. Some of them were tested and proved. But some were actually just statements of faith.

Currently they believe that the universe came from nothing, in some atheist circles.

Can we find the place where the Big Bang happened? (Intermediate) - Curious About Astronomy? Ask an Astronomer

We either have a monocentric origin, or polycentric origin. In either case, the universe that started out at a point, or points that were superdense and superhot. Then exothermic pressure (and science stuff I don't understand) forced this apart. There is nothing in anything I read that stated a universe starting from nothing, and given that it flies in the face of several other laws, I think that very much is a statement of faith.

Quote:
This with regard to something where the only evidence of the matter was scripture.

Yeah, right. "Prove" something that is a testament of faith, by science.
You missed the original post. Follow the quote link. I was asked to scientifically "prove" that Jesus in fact died and was seen by the disciples. I have a testament of faith, and the scriptures. I do not have "verifiable proof" because none exists, either because the only ones observing it were the disciples. I believe it, but even if there were proof, I would need to procure it lost in time for nearly 2000 years. I do not have any written work over 500 years old, and what is, is nearly falling apart.

Quote:
There is no game...it's just how it works in the real world. There are many ways to seek out understanding and knowledge. However, the Scientific Method accomplishes this in a logical, unbiased, methodical, credible, verifiable, testable, repeatable, peer reviewed method.
You keep saying that. But when it counts, and I pull up a scientific law to debate with, since that is all you will accept, suddenly there are convenient reasons why it won't work.

There was supposed to be a comma there, making it "prove something that is a testament of faith, by science." This would be an unreasonable, and in most cases impossible request if roles were reversed and I asked you to use scripture to disprove God, when you mainly know and understand science.

Quote:
Ummm yeah we do.

It's clear that you don't understand how Scientific Laws and Theories work.

Scientific Laws and Theories

It's also clear that you don't understand why there are changes in science.
Ummmm, yeas, I do. Laws and Theories are a result of repeated experiments through different people, over different conditions. They become laws when they always work. Now, suppose I have an established law, say gravity. I come up with "new evidence" that states that gravity isn't real for this reason.

Do we accept it without question? Hell no! We test this theory to see if it works. And yet, in this forum, I repeatedly receive "new study" disproves established law. They don't elaborate or elucidate, just "new study says this and you must accept." Well, I don't accept this. New studies are bull****, unless they at least reach a level of testing where they become theory. That is why science changes, because people can come up with repeatable evidence to the prevailing research. Although the more cynical part of me says that results are often doctored to conform to the prevailing philosophy.

Quote:
No, and the burden of proof is, of course, on the one who asserts this seemingly outrageous truth claim.
Of course, burden of proof is on the one that makes a claim. And yet, time and time again, atheists make a claim, and we are expected to prove it, using only proofs they accept. Or they call us dumb idiots for only having certain tools to work with. Again, I say this is a rigged game.

So? Either retract any and all previous assertions that you have made without yourself providing proof. Or answer it anyway. I don't think you can, though.

Quote:
It is also kind of like when an atheist has said on these boards: "Jesus never existed." My response: prove it.
They can't. But they instead phrase it as "prove Jesus existed" knowing there is little evidence. I demonstrated why on a previous thread.

Quote:
There may or may not have been historical Jesus. But there was need for there to be a Jesus, because there is a human need to have a God that is like us. This is why we have anthropomorphic Roman deities with human flaws. This is why prior to Jesus, there was Mithra, then Buddha, and the trope is still in place, hence the popularity of Mina in the Dragonlance books.

Also, there would not be records of Jesus. He was born in a shed for animals, not in a hospital. The Romans had a census to register people, but the night or so after Jesus was born, Herod tried to kill children, and they fled their land. He spent most of his childhood abroad in Egypt. He moved back to Galilee, years later, and rather than an established trade, was a wandering priest and healer. The closest thing we would have maybe a record of his death, and if he was enough of a troublemaker (given that the Christians later infiltrated much of Roman culture, including their soldiers), they might have erased public records of him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnatio_memoriae

No record of him doesn't mean he didn't exist. It just means there was no record of him.
It is entirely possible that Jesus's followers were a big enough threat to the Roman gods that the Romans wanted to suppress records of him (since in ancient Rome, separation of church and state were unheard of). I cannot prove that, but it has happened several times in history. Hatshepsut? Egyptians tried to erase her.

Btw, there is very little record for my existence, aside from Facebook. I changed my name, moved several times over my life, and have done very little public. Prove my existence using birth records. Or marriage records.

Last edited by bulmabriefs144; 12-29-2015 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That's easy, according to Roman records Polarium was the true son of the God who was crucified on the cross.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's easy, according to Roman records Polarium was the true son of the God who was crucified on the cross.
Polarium is a puzzle game. Just goes to prove you cannot prove Jesus didn't exist.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Polarium is a puzzle game. Just goes to prove you cannot prove Jesus didn't exist.
It's named after the son of God mentioned in Roman records of the 1st century who was crucified and resurrected.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Whatever. I have no personal interest in the Greek gods. No do I care if atheists reject my proofs for God. Atheist seem to care deeply. They must live with the burden of their angst. Me? I am fine with life. No angst.
I don't believe you.

Your posts exude a false bravado which always indicates doubt.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
It's named after the son of God mentioned in Roman records of the 1st century who was crucified and resurrected.
Prove he was resurrected.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Prove he was resurrected.
Prove Jesus was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality