U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:50 PM

16 posts, read 725 times
Default The heathens quote back

Atheists are often charged with blasphemy, but it is a crime they cannot commit… When the Atheist examines, denounces, or satirizes the gods, he is not dealing with persons but with ideas. He is incapable of insulting God, for he does not admit the existence of any such being… We attack not a person but a belief, not a being but an idea, not a fact but a fancy.

[G.W. Foote, "Who are the Blasphemers?" in Flowers of Freethought]

NOTE: The above quote would apply to those believers who love to ask, "well if you don't believe in god why are you even in here or discussing things relating to him."

Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers.

[Bruce Calvert]

Beware of the man of one book.

[Thomas Aquinas]

Biblical higher criticism "is preserved in the particular enclave of academic Christian scholarship and is thought to be too unfruitful to share with the average pew-sitter, for it raises more questions than the church can adequately answer. So the leaders of the church would protect the simple believers from concepts they were not trained to understand. In this way that ever-widening gap between academic Christians and the average pew-sitter made its first appearance."

[Bishop John Shelby Spong]

Burn the libraries, for their value is in this one book (the Koran).

[Omar I, 2nd Caliph, at the capture of Alexandria]

…so long as the people do not care to exercise their freedom, those who wish to tyranize will do so; for tyrants are active and ardent, and will devote themselves in the name of any number of gods, religious and otherwise, to put shackles upon sleeping men.

[Voltarine de Cleyre]

There is virtually nothing which the Christian will accept as evidence of God's evil. If disasters that are admittedly 'unmerited, pointless, and incapable of being morally rationalized' [quoting Hick] are compatible with the 'goodness' of God, what could possibly qualify as contrary evidence? The 'goodness' of God, it seems, is compatible with any state of affairs. While we evaluate a man with reference to his actions, we are not similarly permitted to judge God. God is immune from the judgment of evil as a matter of principle.

[George Smith, Atheism: The Case Against God (Buffalo, NY: Prometheus, 1989), p. 86]

A dogma is the hand of the dead on the throat of the living.

[Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays]

A mystic is a person who is puzzled before the obvious but who understands the nonexistent

[Elbert Hubbard]

A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.

[Oscar Wilde]

A society without religion is like a crazed psychopath without a loaded .45

[the Advocate, spring 1994]

All great truths begin as blasphemies.

[George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), "Annajanska" (1919)]

All religions are founded on the fear of the many and the cleverness of the few.

[Stendhal]

All religions die of one disease - that of being found out.

[John Morley]

America... just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable.

[Hunter S. Thompson]

An apology for the devil: it must be remembered that we have heard one side of the case. God has written all the books.

[Samuel Butler]

Anything you don't understand, Mr. Rankin, you attribute to God. God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it.

[Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 166.]

As "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make one drink," so also, "You can drag a Christian to the truth, but you can't make one think.

[Delmar Coughlin]

Christian Fundamentalism: The doctrine that there is an absolutely powerful, infinitely knowledgeable, universe spanning entity that is deeply and personally concerned about my sex life.

[Andrew Lias]

Christians say that—without exception—their God answers all of their prayers; it's just that He sometimes says "yes" and other times "no," "maybe," or "wait." Of course the same could be said of the rain-god,"Bob.

[Rev. Donald Morgan]

Church: A place in which gentlemen who have never been to Heaven brag about it to people who will never get there.

[H.L. Mencken]

Civilization has come about by going to school more than to church.

[Lemuel K. Washburn, Is The Bible Worth Reading And Other Essays]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 PM

16 posts, read 725 times
Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits.

[Dan Barker]

Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.

[Richard Dawkins]

Fear believes — courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays — courage stands erect and thinks. Fear is barbarism — courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science.

[Robert G. Ingersoll]

Fear was the first thing on earth to make gods.

[[Lucretius (96?-55 B.C.)]

Few intelligent Christians can still hold to the idea that the Bible is an infallible Book, that it contains no linguistic errors, no historical discrepancies, no antiquated scientific assumptions, not even bad ethical standards. Historical investigation and literary criticism have taken the magic out of the Bible and have made it a composite human book, written by many hands in different ages. The existence of thousands of variations of texts makes it impossible to hold the doctrine of a book verbally infallible. Some might claim for the original copies of the Bible an infallible character, but this view only begs the question and makes such Christian apologetics more ridiculous in the eyes of the sincere man.

[Christianity in America, p. 121, Elmer Homrighausen, former Dean of Princeton Theological Seminary]

Few people can be happy unless they hate some other person, nation or creed.

[Bertrand Russell]

For every one man saved by the Lord, there are 1000 times that forsaken by him.

[C. Spellman]

Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 PM

3,086 posts, read 3,928,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunts View Post
Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence.
[Richard Dawkins]
Were you with Richard Dawkins when he wrote that?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Fear believes — courage doubts. Fear falls upon the earth and prays — courage stands erect and thinks. Fear is barbarism — courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, in devils and in ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science.

[Robert G. Ingersoll]
I doubt that what this guy's saying is true. Do you believe him?

Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers.

[Bruce Calvert]
The more I think about this, the more I don't believe it.

Seriously, tho.. you cannot truly believe if you do not think. You can parrot beliefs without thinking, but that is a different story.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM

206 posts, read 356,687 times
A neat thread.

I'll contribute a few favorites of mine:

Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing,"Yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.
[Dan Barker]

"...a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and forgiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!"

--Mark Twain (describing the Christian God)

Religion is all bunk. -- Thomas Edison

I don't believe in God, because I don't believe in Mother Goose. -- Clarence Darrow

It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain. -- Mark Twain

"My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."

-- Abraham Lincoln

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."
- Thomas Jefferson

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived."
-- Isaac Asimov

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Sir Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-1971)

"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

For my own part I would as soon be descended from that heroic little monkey, who braved his dreaded enemy in order to save the life of his keeper; or from that old baboon, who, descending from the mountains, carried away in triumph his young comrade from a crowd of astonished dogs -- as from a savage who delights to torture his enemies, offers up bloody sacrifices, practices infanticide without remorse, treats his wives like slaves, knows no decency, and is haunted by the grossest superstitions. -- Charles Darwin (The Descent of Man, 1871)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:13 PM

206 posts, read 356,687 times
And a few more:

I have often had people ask me, "If you don't fear Hell, why would you live a moral life?" This is just about the most insulting, patronizing, demeaning, question that can be asked. It implies and assumes that without fear of dreadful retribution, anyone will steal, rob, murder, lie, or do anything at all, to benefit the self.
- James Randi

Man is a Religious Animal. He is the only Religious Animal. He is the only animal that has the True Religion -- several of them. He is the only animal that loves his neighbor as himself and cuts his throat if his theology isn't straight. -- Mark Twain

One of the greatest tragedies in human history was the hijacking of morality by religion. -- Sir Arthur C. Clarke

I do not feel obliged to believe that same God who endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect had intended for us to forgo their use. -- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Old 02-05-2008, 04:30 PM

16 posts, read 725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I doubt that what this guy's saying is true. Do you believe him?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Hello, by the way. We talk again.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Makes perfect sense to me.

Hello, by the way. We talk again.
But... but... fear believes!!

What's so scary about Robert G. Ingersoll? Please confide your fears to me and I'll try to help you thru them.

(Hi! )

Old 02-05-2008, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
The more I think about this, the more I don't believe it.

Seriously, tho.. you cannot truly believe if you do not think. You can parrot beliefs without thinking, but that is a different story.
You're on the inside looking out CG81 It would e a little hard for you to see the truth of this statement. Check out the example below. Hope you can see the point.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality