Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 11:40 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And no surprise that you must disagree with EVERY single sentence I write.
Of course! If you are wrong then I will call you on it. Why wouldn't I?

Quote:
Have you ever once agreed with any Christian?
Yes I have.

Quote:
All you are doing here is showing me that such a high degree of skepticism makes it impossible to prove that ANY history is valid in that time period.
No Jeff. All you have to do is provide evidence that is verifiable and objective. That is all I have ever asked you for, all anyone on this forum has asked you for...but as yet, you have consistently failed to supply it. You just can't grasp the fact the your Bible, as 'evidence', is neither verifiable or objective.

Quote:
You could simply make the same claim for Egyptian records, Babylonian etc...
No you couldn't because such records have supporting evidence.

Quote:
The point that authors do it all the time is irrelevant. The onus is on you to prove that authors in that time period did it all the time.
No Jeff. The onus is on YOU to show that the claims of your Bible are true.

Quote:
Then prove it. Show me archaeology that disproves the Bible.
Would there be any point Jeff. Would it just be the same as any other evidence you have been given...you would simply ignore it and then repeat the same claims that have been debunked? Go away and read about Joshua's 'alleged' destruction of the city of Ai. What extensive archaeological work at the site of Ai has revealed is that the city was destroyed and burned around 2400 BCE, which would have been over a thousand years before the time of Joshua. In other words, there was no Canaanite city there for Joshua to conquer.

...and it's not so much a question of the archaeology that proves the Bible wrong, it's more a bout the LACK of serious archaeology that supports it.

Quote:
If you are going to use the Spiderman fallacy (which you will of course because the root here is just plain hatred for God's Word) then the equivalent would be like this:

1. A thousand years from now, people are now questioning if Spiderman really existed. Thousands of people over generations have claimed that he was real.

2. No records exist anywhere to prove that the books of Spiderman were works of fiction.

3. Countless archaeology finds have been uncovered about Spiderman. A plague with the key to the city given to Spiderman. Other books and personal diaries from people who had encounters with Spiderman.

4. The books of Spiderman all describe events and places in detail that completely fit that time period.

5. Medical records and family history tree records of the Parker family have been uncovered as well
The same can be said for Brahma and the holy books of the Hindu religion.

Quote:
Now with all those factors in play, it would be a logical reason for the people in the future to conclude that Spiderman really was a person.
It may well be 'logical' for them to 'conclude' such a thing Jeff but the point would be...ARE THEIR CONCLUSIONS CORRECT?

Quote:
OTOH, You have ZERO nilch nada evidence the the Biblical authors just made it up.
OTOH, you have ZERO nilch nada evidence that the authors of the Vedas just made it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 01:00 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But it does work that way. We accepted Newton's ideas on gravity until Einstein proved him wrong.
Except it does not work that way. Maybe it does for you. It does not in the real world. If a text is found making a claim, then the claim of that text has to be validated. We do not accept the claim as true until proven false. That is just another move in your on going campaign to pretend the burden of proof..... philosophy 101 stuff for most of us.... is the exact reverse of what it is.

And no Newton was not proven wrong. Your science is, as usual, simply false. Our knowledge became more nuanced as to WHEN and WHERE Newtons laws apply, and where they break down, but they have not be "proven wrong" by any measure.

Quote:
If we went to court the judge would ask you to prove I owe you $100,000.00. Since I don't owe you and since you can't prove I do, the case would be dismissed.
Ehhhh yes that was his point. Do keep up.

Old 02-25-2016, 01:01 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Read the quote again, God does not cause the calamity but he use it for good in many cases.

Psalm 105:28: He sent darkness and made the land dark-- for had they not rebelled against his words?
Evil doesn't just create itself, does it? Evil doesn't just allow it's own existence, does it?

Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Read the quote again, God does not cause the calamity but he use it for good in many cases.

Psalm 105:28: He sent darkness and made the land dark-- for had they not rebelled against his words?
Hmmm...

Isaiah 45:7
Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these.

Psalms 105:28
He sent darkness and it darkened, and they did not disobey His word.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:01 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Hmmm...

Isaiah 45:7
Who forms light and creates darkness, Who makes peace and creates evil; I am the Lord, Who makes all these.

Psalms 105:28
He sent darkness and it darkened, and they did not disobey His word.
Psa 105:26-37 He sent Moses, His servant, And Aaron whom He had chosen." (27) He placed the words of His signs before them, And His miracles before the country of Ham." (28) He sent darkness, and it became very dark, And they could not defy His words." (29) He turned their waters to blood, And He put their fish to death." (30) Their country swarmed with frogs, Into the chambers of their kings." (31) He spoke, and there came a mixture of flies, Lice in all their territory." (32) He turned their downpours to hail, With fiery bolts blazing in their country." (33) He smote their vines and their fig trees, And He broke down the trees of their territory." (34) He spoke, and the locust came, And the young-locust and they were without number." (35) It devoured all the herbage in their country And devoured the fruit of their ground. (36) Then He smote all the firstborn in their country, The beginning of all their virility." (37) Thus He brought His people forth with silver and gold, And there was no one stumbling among their tribes."

Context is everything.

Yes, God creates evil and uses it for ultimate good.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 AM

Quote:

But it does work that way. We accepted Newton's ideas on gravity until Einstein proved him wrong.
Quote:
Except it does not work that way. Maybe it does for you. It does not in the real world. If a text is found making a claim, then the claim of that text has to be validated. We do not accept the claim as true until proven false. That is just another move in your on going campaign to pretend the burden of proof..... philosophy 101 stuff for most of us.... is the exact reverse of what it is.
But it does work that way.

Quote:
And no Newton was not proven wrong. Your science is, as usual, simply false. Our knowledge became more nuanced as to WHEN and WHERE Newtons laws apply, and where they break down, but they have not be "proven wrong" by any measure.
Einstein discovered flaws in Newton's work.

Quote:

If we went to court the judge would ask you to prove I owe you $100,000.00. Since I don't owe you and since you can't prove I do, the case would be dismissed.

Quote:
Ehhhh yes that was his point. Do keep up.
Your point was proven wrong. You were stating I owe you 100,000 dollars until proven otherwise in response to me saying "The Bible is correct until proven otherwise." I can prove I don't owe you $100,000 dollars. You can't prove the Bible is incorrect. Therefore the Bible is correct and you are incorrect.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Do try to use the quote function correctly, it looks like you are trying to dodge replies by hiding who you are replying to.

Quote:
But it does work that way.
No, it simply does not. Historical claims are never made solely on their own merits. They are corroborated and validated by any number of methods.

Once again: A text claiming something in isolation about the past is not something we ever assume true until proven false. Perhaps YOU do (in cherry picked cases that gel with your agenda and narrative) but that is a different issue. It is not something we do in History or Science. So no, it does not "work that way" at all.

Quote:
Einstein discovered flaws in Newton's work.
No. Repeating your error/lie does not suddenly make it true. I repeat: Einsteins work places CONSTRAINTS on how and where we can apply the work of Newton. Newtons work was not proven wrong. (Though I notice your back pedal from "proven wrong" to "showed flaws". Do you really think people never notice your little back pedal goal post moving?

What relativity does is clarify the range of physical conditions over which Newtonian theory applies. And we now also know that Special and General relativity has limits on it's applications and much like Einstein did for Newton, we expect in science a further level of Theory to clarify and explain the boundaries of Relativity.

So Einstein's theories build on and clarify Newtons. Further theories, we hope, will build on and clarify Einsteins. But in NO SENSE whatsoever was the work of Newton "proven wrong" as you misrepresent the reality. Alas an understanding of science at any level is not something you have displayed at any point on this forum, but I hope this clarification helps you somewhat.

And, unlike you with your Bible, Newton's theories are not just something we "accepted until proven wrong" anyway. So you are double wrong with your narrative here. We accept them because of the copious amounts of arguments, evidence, data and reasoning he put forward supporting the truth of them. So again "that is not how it works" stands true in the face of your failed rebuttal. One wonders how many layers of being wrong you can actually pile into one of your claims at this point.

Quote:
Your point was proven wrong. You were stating I owe you 100,000 dollars until proven otherwise
Please quote where I EVER said that. I asked you "do keep up". You appear to have done the exact opposite.

I await the quote or the retraction.

However you have not proven that you do not owe that money to the user who ACTUALLY said it. Which was his point exactly. You can show a lack of any evidence that you DO owe him, but you can show no evidence that you do not.

But this really is philosophy 101 stuff. That you do not get it despite being told numerous times over numerous threads where the "burden of proof" lies for people making claims..... is likely either because you do get it and pretend otherwise.... or there is more truth to your own admission to childhood head injuries than I suspected or feared.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:34 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
You can't prove the Bible is incorrect.
Yes we can. We have done it many times here. You just ignore it.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:

You can't prove the Bible is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes we can. We have done it many times here. You just ignore it.
Umm, actually you can't.
Disprove this:

"In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

I need to see your scientific proofs.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Do try to use the quote function correctly, it looks like you are trying to dodge replies by hiding who you are replying to.
I don't have to hide anything. I'm just saving you the embarrassment of you being so wrong.

Quote:
No, it simply does not. Historical claims are never made solely on their own merits. They are corroborated and validated by any number of methods.

Once again: A text claiming something in isolation about the past is not something we ever assume true until proven false. Perhaps YOU do (in cherry picked cases that gel with your agenda and narrative) but that is a different issue. It is not something we do in History or Science. So no, it does not "work that way" at all.
Sure, and you always pick cases you don't agree with. Uh huh. Yea, sure.

Quote:
No. Repeating your error/lie does not suddenly make it true. I repeat: Einsteins work places CONSTRAINTS on how and where we can apply the work of Newton. Newtons work was not proven wrong. (Though I notice your back pedal from "proven wrong" to "showed flaws". Do you really think people never notice your little back pedal goal post moving?
I am right. You are wrong.

Quote:
What relativity does is clarify the range of physical conditions over which Newtonian theory applies. And we now also know that Special and General relativity has limits on it's applications and much like Einstein did for Newton, we expect in science a further level of Theory to clarify and explain the boundaries of Relativity.

So Einstein's theories build on and clarify Newtons. Further theories, we hope, will build on and clarify Einsteins. But in NO SENSE whatsoever was the work of Newton "proven wrong" as you misrepresent the reality. Alas an understanding of science at any level is not something you have displayed at any point on this forum, but I hope this clarification helps you somewhat.

And, unlike you with your Bible, Newton's theories are not just something we "accepted until proven wrong" anyway. So you are double wrong with your narrative here. We accept them because of the copious amounts of arguments, evidence, data and reasoning he put forward supporting the truth of them. So again "that is not how it works" stands true in the face of your failed rebuttal. One wonders how many layers of being wrong you can actually pile into one of your claims at this point.
I think you need to read this:
Newton Proved Wrong! - Newton Proved Wrong - Movellas
Newton's laws work only in certain situations. Einstein's theory is different and upsets the Newtonian apple cart.

Quote:
Please quote where I EVER said that. I asked you "do keep up". You appear to have done the exact opposite.
It was 303guy who stated:
"Also, my claim that Eusie owes me $100,000 dollars is true until he can prove otherwise (I have it in writing - my own writing, which makes my claim even more true). "

I was answering that statement.

Quote:
However you have not proven that you do not owe that money to the user who ACTUALLY said it. Which was his point exactly. You can show a lack of any evidence that you DO owe him, but you can show no evidence that you do not.
303guy cannot prove I owe him 100,000 dollars and you cannot prove the Bible is incorrect.

Quote:
But this really is philosophy 101 stuff. That you do not get it despite being told numerous times over numerous threads where the "burden of proof" lies for people making claims..... is likely either because you do get it and pretend otherwise.... or there is more truth to your own admission to childhood head injuries than I suspected or feared.
303guy made the claim I owe him 100,000 dollars. According to you, he has to supply the burden of proof. Likewise, the person who makes the claim the Bible is nothing but fairy tales has to supply the burden of proof. Now if you take a little sugar with that medicine, it will help it go down.

Prove the Bible is nothing but a bunch of fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality