Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 07:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I believe in the creation account of the Book of Genesis as many Christians do. I do believe Darwin made some interesting discoveries in his work. He was a student of the Christian faith, which may have made his writing even more compelling and well done.
That's somewhat of a mischaracterization. Darwin was a originally an orthodox Christian, but developed doubts after he discovered the theory of evolution. After his daughter Annie died he could no longer reconcile his faith the the harsh realities of existence. Subsequently, he lost his faith entirely.

Darwin's complex loss of faith | Nick Spencer | Opinion | The Guardian

Last edited by PanapolicRiddle; 01-22-2016 at 07:52 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 PM

380 posts, read 201,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
However, I do not believe that complex species such as humans came from bacterium or "primordial soup"
Who is saying that complex species such as humans came from bacterium or "primordial soup"?
If someone would be pushing nonsense like this I would not believe in it either. Just like you don't.
But who is saying it? Where did you hear that? Who can be so stupid as to say that humans came from bacterium or "primordial soup"?
"Primordial soup" and humans are 13 billions years apart.

Quote:
I am a person of faith. I cannot see the wind but I can measure it. I cannot see bacteria, but I get sick. I cannot see electrons, but I am typing on a computer using them.

Great observations! Real things are real, even though we can not see them. We can not see them, but they do manifest themselves in reality in a very detectable way. And that's why we have no doubt that they are real.
Now can you point out how God manifests itself in reality in the same measurable, detectable way as wind or bacteria? You do that and I will know that God is real.

Quote:
Just because I never saw Abraham Lincoln doesn't mean someone made him up
Again. Who is saying that Lincoln is made up fantasy?
There is nobody on another side of this argument.

Now, if someone would be pushing an idea that Lincoln was real slayer of real vampires....
Now that's another story. I would not believe it unless I would have an iron clad proof.
Just like I have a proof of wind and bacteria.
Without proof I would ignore stories about Lincoln the vampire slayer the same way I ignore stories about God.

Hope that helps! Have a nice day.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:49 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutennis View Post
Who is saying that complex species such as humans came from bacterium or "primordial soup"?
If someone would be pushing nonsense like this I would not believe in it either. Just like you don't.
But who is saying it? Where did you hear that? Who can be so stupid as to say that humans came from bacterium or "primordial soup"?
"Primordial soup" and humans are 13 billions years apart.
You really think he was implying that man walked out of the slime. I sure he is aware that humans didn't directly coming out of the "primordial soup" but there were a few more steps, right?

A great NOVA was on recently.

NOVA - Official Website | Life's Rocky Start

Last edited by PanTerra; 01-22-2016 at 09:03 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 09:47 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
You really think he was implying that man walked out of the slime. I sure he is aware that humans didn't directly coming out of the "primordial soup" but there were a few more steps, right?

A great NOVA was on recently.

NOVA - Official Website | Life's Rocky Start
People who just can't understand basic Biology/Evolution never cease to amaze me.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:49 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
People who just can't understand basic Biology/Evolution never cease to amaze me.
Awww, theu just don't want to worry their pretty little heads about it.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:32 AM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
My SIL says she cannot understand how evolution can work therefore it is false and God did it!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:22 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
I don't know why they can't just say "god did it through evolution." I don't believe in their god but at least it would show they have some processing power. "Poof there it is" just doesn't match observations. Be it from a omni-dude or "from nothing". They can even use the proper definition of random and say their god set up all the solutions. silly millfundz.

they don't get that we are interested in "truth". And that "truth" can include personal emotional needs. We are here to heal not open the wounds. well, those of us that understand what's going on anyway. And we are outnumbered. want proof, do the math.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It also "documented" talking animals. That doesn't mean it is true.
And just because it also documented talking animals doesn't mean people didn't live over 900 years prior to the world-wide flood.

Quote:
All of your "explanations" are nothing more than you grasping at straws trying to explain away all of the feces that is piled around your holy book.
If you say so.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:47 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,379 times
I didn't notice before but I like your status Eusebius.

Careful with such things. You might start to erode your beliefs and become an atheist swine...which I'm told SMELL.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:09 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
I would think a supernatural god capable of creating the Earth and getting things started with a "primordial soup" and waiting billions of years to get re-involved could just as easily have popped it into place exactly as described in Genesis. No need to kill a few billion years waiting for humans to "evolve". I'm not even sure why He needed six days. Logically it would seem it's either He did it as per Genesis or someone made Him up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality