Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 01:19 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Ah. The first cause argument.

The Big Bang - according to evidence. So what caused the big bang and the matter it was made from? Nobody knows - not me, you, science or the Creationists. Unexplained does not mean 'Goddunnit' is the explanation.

It could be a god. Nobody can disprove that. Apart from showing that the universe doesn't actually support an intelligent creator. Which is really what the argument is about. That's the best answer I can give.
ID makes more sense than a cosmic accident, which is really the only two choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 01:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God give here daily miracle which cleanses the evil spirit out which can causes pain and heaviness right out of my body , as every time I pray this prayer of the authority of the believer Jesus spirit moves these evil spirit out of my body ...... like just yesterday I was eating and got the hiccups , so I prayed the cleansing prayer in Jesus name and the hiccups disappears after two hiccups , not the usually ten or more , but only two ........... See God is alive on my life and even the church were I attend , how could I not believe ..... The church were I go is an evangelical fellowship church

This is why I don't believe in the Christian God. Even still IF he did (which I don't believe.) IF he's real then why would he waste time with your silly hiccups & not curing my mom of terminal stage 4 cancer who has believed in him all her life? Same goes for others with this life taking disease. Might want to be careful on how you answer this.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I think it was a giant turtle that caused the Big Bang. What created the giant turtle? An even bigger turtle, of course! And so forth. It's turtles all the way back.
"Big bangs have little bangs
in order to ignite'em.
And those bangs have smaller bangs.
And so ad infinitum."

Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This is why I don't believe in the Christian God. Even still IF he did (which I don't believe.) IF he's real then why would he waste time with your silly hiccups & not curing my mom of terminal stage 4 cancer who has believed in him all her life? Same goes for others with this life taking disease. Might want to be careful on how you answer this.
Sorry to hear about your mother.

My mother also died of cancer and she was a believer in God (Not the Christian God though).

IMO, believing in God does not make you a supernatural human being or an immortal entity.

We all are given a specific time on this earth, when our time is up, life ends - whether we believe in God or not.

Sickness, disease and hardship - no one is free from it. Some get it more than others, others get more than others.

The idea is count your blessings and make the most out of what you have. Whether it's the hardship or comfort - it will end!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
ID makes more sense than a cosmic accident, which is really the only two choices.
Well only if you dismiss the question of where a god came from. The result of a cosmic accident? It grew out of nothing, gradually evolving? A fully formed existing intelligence which did not need to come from anywhere is actually less sensible than a gradual appearance of what we call 'matter' (and energy, which is simply what matter does) out of nothing. since matter is nothing pretending to be something.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Sorry to hear about your mother.

My mother also died of cancer and she was a believer in God (Not the Christian God though).

IMO, believing in God does not make you a supernatural human being or an immortal entity.

We all are given a specific time on this earth, when our time is up, life ends - whether we believe in God or not.

Sickness, disease and hardship - no one is free from it. Some get it more than others, others get more than others.

The idea is count your blessings and make the most out of what you have. Whether it's the hardship or comfort - it will end!
Yes. Both mine went from cancer. Neither were believers and neither became believers. They just accepted what was - including the discomfort. So do I, as I get older. We do agree on a lot, don't we?

Old 01-26-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well only if you dismiss the question of where a god came from. The result of a cosmic accident? It grew out of nothing, gradually evolving? A fully formed existing intelligence which did not need to come from anywhere is actually less sensible than a gradual appearance of what we call 'matter' (and energy, which is simply what matter does) out of nothing. since matter is nothing pretending to be something.
The bolded (above) is where I have a problem. It's not logical.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Yes. Both mine went from cancer. Neither were believers and neither became believers. They just accepted what was - including the discomfort. So do I, as I get older. We do agree on a lot, don't we?
Yep, it's actually very nice and pleasant feeling to know that a believer and a non-believer can have things in common, and they can discuss their reasons as to why they do or do not believe in something without trying to dismiss each others reasons.

It's more like knowledge sharing and finding the common ground rather than getting into a hosing down contest.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:54 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Causation makes much more sense that "casual chain" (code for accident).
You didn't address most of my points and the one you did address you completely misconstrue. Purposely at some level, I am reasonably sure. You also assume to much. I was not encoding anything. Chains of events are observable phenomena that we draw conclusions from.

You can't generalize about first causes from everyday cause and effect. The nature of spacetime has been demonstrated mathematically to be extremely weird the closer you get to the big bang. We don't fully understand it yet. If you want to insert your particular god in that particular gap, go ahead. But don't expect better outcomes than with all the other gaps god has been evicted from. And also, don't expect, for the very first time ever, that theologians will correct science concerning reality.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You didn't address most of my points and the one you did address you completely misconstrue. Purposely at some level, I am reasonably sure. You also assume to much. I was not encoding anything. Chains of events are observable phenomena that we draw conclusions from.

You can't generalize about first causes from everyday cause and effect. The nature of spacetime has been demonstrated mathematically to be extremely weird the closer you get to the big bang. We don't fully understand it yet. If you want to insert your particular god in that particular gap, go ahead. But don't expect better outcomes than with all the other gaps god has been evicted from. And also, don't expect, for the very first time ever, that theologians will correct science concerning reality.
All I'm getting here is, we don't know what it is, but it ain't ID. That's weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality