Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 PM

18,494 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

It's no secret that quite a few of God's self-appointed human representatives are of dubious integrity. We see deliberate ignorance of science, deliberate use of common logical fallacies, using fear and threats to bully people into accepting their theological position, etc.

What's going on? I would expect a perfect and holy God to have better employees here on earth. Maybe God needs to do a better job when screening applicants to be his mouthpieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Just like some people have decided to make fool of, and deceive other people through the channels of politics and big corporate businesses, there are some people who have made a choice to make fool of, and deceive other people through the channel of religion and in the name of God to achieve their personal goals and benefits.

This is the choice they have made based on free will, and they will be responsible for their choice.

However; it's not solely their fault if they deceive you.

Just like you would use your intelligence to research the best doctor for your healthcare needs, or you would use your intelligence and research to find the best broker before investing in stocks,,or research the best schools to meet your acsemic needs, you must also use your intelligence to research a scholar who meets your faith needs IF u feel u have a faith need, that is.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:03 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
can ask the same thing about our secular leaders.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:57 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
The apostle Paul witnessed the same problem in his day. He prophesied this:

Act_20:29 for I have known this, that there shall enter in, after my departing, grievous wolves unto you, not sparing the flock,

Php 1:15-18 Some indeed preach Christ even out of envy and strife, and some also out of good will. (16) The former insincerely preach Christ from selfish ambition, thinking that they add affliction to my chains; (17) but the latter out of love, knowing that I am appointed for the defense of the Good News. (18) What does it matter? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed. I rejoice in this, yes, and will rejoice.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's no secret that quite a few of God's self-appointed human representatives are of dubious integrity. We see deliberate ignorance of science, deliberate use of common logical fallacies, using fear and threats to bully people into accepting their theological position, etc.

What's going on? I would expect a perfect and holy God to have better employees here on earth. Maybe God needs to do a better job when screening applicants to be his mouthpieces.
IMHO it is because the do NOT believe in a god and are just modern snake oil sales people...

Old 01-26-2016, 05:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
If there were actually a "God" I would hope he wouldn't approve of the manner in which his people are spreading the good word.

I get told often that I'm going to hell simply because my beliefs are different. If there is a god, and he "created" me, that's no way to treat a fellow being is it?

What people call faith, I call a sorry excuse. I'll bow to your "king" when he shows himself

Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

1 Corinthians 1:26-29 For you are observing your calling, brethren, that there are not many wise
according to the flesh; not many powerful, not many noble, (27) but the stupid ones of the world God
chooses, that He may be disgracing the wise, and the weak ones of the world God chooses, that He may
be disgracing the strong, (28) and the ignoble and the contemptible oness of the world God chooses, and
those who are nobodies, that He may be discarding those who think they are something, (29) so that no
flesh at all should be boasting in God's sight.

1 Timothy 4:1-3 Now the spirit is saying explicitly, that in subsequent eras some will be withdrawing from
the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and the teachings of demons, (2) in the hypocrisy of false
expressions, their own conscience having been cauterized;" (3) forbidding to marry, abstaining from
foods, which God creates to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who believe and realize the truth,

God is in charge. This is why He does these things:

1Co_11:19 For it must be that there are sects also among you,
that those also who are qualified may be becoming apparent among you."

Old 01-26-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
If there were actually a "God" I would hope he wouldn't approve of the manner in which his people are spreading the good word.
Some are not "His people."
Quote:
I get told often that I'm going to hell simply because my beliefs are different. If there is a god, and he "created" me, that's no way to treat a fellow being is it?
That is correct that that is no way to treat a fellow human. Why would God throw anyone into some sort of Dantean Hell for not believing when, after all, it is God Who gives faith in the first place to be believing? God loves you and in fact is fond of you and has told us "He will have all mankind to be saved . . . for Christ gave Himself a ransom for all" (1 Timothy 2:4-6). So, you have been ransomed and therefore one day you will be saved.

Quote:
What people call faith, I call a sorry excuse. I'll bow to your "king" when he shows himself
Indeed, you will.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:15 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Because they are human, and therefore flawed- just like you.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Because they are human, and therefore flawed- just like you.
If that was meant for me, I have no problems admitting I am flawed. Everyone has flaws and I am no exception. But I definitely do not go around telling people they're going to hell, it's not right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality