Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The problem is you present evolution as proven fact. It's not a theory huh? It's fact. Well once you play the fact card then the door is closed. There should never be any new discoveries that changes that position or else, you were fallible to call it a fact.

Atheists are so passionately defensive of evolution because you cling to it like a security blanket. No wonder you are heavily opposed to anything that calls it into question. We can't even use the term macro-evolution anymore because that would highlight the fact that no one has ever observed one species transforming into a completely new creature, complete with their own unique defense mechanisms.

OTOH, I can observe nature and it clearly looks like someone designed it. Almost like a great beautiful mosaic where each species has a part in the puzzle and role. How else would each creature have a special defense mechanism unless a creator knew in advance what it needed to defend against enemies?
If you had bothered to read about evolution you would know that evolution is both a theory and a fact and that the theory is a stronger position in science then is a fact. Theories are created from facts. Again you repeat that it is athesists that support evolution skipping the part that outside of the USA and perhaps sections of Australia that most Christians have no problem with evolution and again I tell you that it is taught in Catholic schools in Canada (unless Catholics are not Christians in your view). Another error you made is the macro evolution, that is a creationist term used to try to avoid the evidence of new species being observed. Your comment about new creatures with their own defense mechanisms just shows how little you understand how evolution works. You refuse to understand evolution and yet keep making claims that it is wrong without even knowing how it works. I too have taken walks in nature, but I have also studied it and worked in it, nature is far from perfect and is not stable but dynamic with species coming and going out of an ecosystem when the ecosystem either changes or a new species has entererd into it or a different one has left it.

IF you are observing nature you do know that it is not the same as when you claim that your God created it. Even if you ignore the fossil record, the pollen record and all other sciences that do not back your claim, how do you explain away the human observations that much of the nature of North America is quite different from when the Spanish first arrived in the New World and that is ignoring the evidence that the First Nations had already altered the ecosystems that they lived in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
The problem is you present evolution as proven fact. It's not a theory huh? It's fact. Well once you play the fact card then the door is closed. There should never be any new discoveries that changes that position or else, you were fallible to call it a fact.

Atheists are so passionately defensive of evolution because you cling to it like a security blanket. No wonder you are heavily opposed to anything that calls it into question. We can't even use the term macro-evolution anymore because that would highlight the fact that no one has ever observed one species transforming into a completely new creature, complete with their own unique defense mechanisms.

OTOH, I can observe nature and it clearly looks like someone designed it. Almost like a great beautiful mosaic where each species has a part in the puzzle and role. How else would each creature have a special defense mechanism unless a creator knew in advance what it needed to defend against enemies?

You do realize that I have replied to you that science is not about being proven but the best explaination that covers ALL the evidence. Do you even bother to read what others write? If you are such a strong follower of the Bible check out the little bit about not giving false testimony against your neigbours. Unless you are very litteral and only accept your next door neighbour as one you should not make false testimony against they you have falsely claimed that I present evolution as a proven fact not a theory.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Please tell me I am not the only one who sees the glaring irony/hypocrisy/stupidity in the bold?

Jesus, Jeff, you say this when your entire life and self worth revolve around clinging to your beliefs like a security blanket. You won't even entertain anything that goes against your beliefs. You wonder why you get mocked and whatnot? Well, I am here to tell you, stuff like this is why.
I am mocked because of this:

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved"

Matthew 10:22

Now let's play a little devil's advocate. Isn't that an odd verse for the bible fiction writers to make up?
Not really a great promotion tool to tell people that becoming a Christian means you are going to be hated huh?

Quote:

No one is saying evolution is 100% accurate.
You certainly are acting like it is.

Quote:

No one. Also, no one has ever observed a species transforming into another for one very obvious reason, at least to anyone with a grade school knowledge of science. It takes a heck of a lot longer for a species to evolve than the average lifespan. It takes longer than the amount of time we have had recorded history to get any meaningful change. The fact that you ignore, or purposely misrepresent these things speaks volumes about your honesty.
How convenient that you claim that humans come from a primate ancestor when we can't even observe it.
Just gotta take it on, what's that word, oh yea, FAITH.

Quote:

You say that you can observe nature and it looks designed. Based off of what exactly? Because you think it is pretty? Yea, that ain't evidence bruh. What about all of the terrible things about nature? Volcanoes, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, areas that can't sustain life? What about those?
I already told you what I base it on. Sure there are ugly things in this world because sin put a curse on God's creation.

Quote:

You show your lack of scientific knowledge every single time you post about these things. You are really showing why religion needs to stay the hell out of our schools too.
Ok, I got it for the nth time. You think I'm stupid in science. Can we move on, or do you feel the need to tell me another 20 times that I lack scientific knowledge?

Old 02-24-2016, 11:52 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
You really do live in a vacuum. Most religious leaders believe in a creator. Even in the scientific community, thoughts on evolution are debatable:

Why Haven't All Primates Evolved into Humans?

You want to tell me that it is proven fact that humans are primates when your experts can't even freaking agree on the timeline.
From another article on the same web site:

Darwin's Theory of Evolution: Definition & Evidence

Quote 1: "Evolution by natural selection is one of the best substantiated theories in the history of science, supported by evidence from a wide variety of scientific disciplines, including paleontology, geology, genetics and developmental biology."

Quote 2: "All life on Earth is connected and related to each other," and this diversity of life is a product of "modifications of populations by natural selection, where some traits were favored in and environment over others."

Quote 3: "Even though scientists could predict what early whales should look like, they lacked the fossil evidence to back up their claim. Creationists took this absence as proof that evolution didn't occur. They mocked the idea that there could have ever been such a thing as a walking whale. But since the early 1990s, that's exactly what scientists have been finding. The critical piece of evidence came in 1994, when paleontologists found the fossilized remains of Ambulocetus natans, an animal whose name literally means "swimming-walking whale." Its forelimbs had fingers and small hooves but its hind feet were enormous given its size. It was clearly adapted for swimming, but it was also capable of moving clumsily on land, much like a seal."

So, for all the people claiming that no transitional fossils have been found, there it is. They were found over 20 years ago.

Thanks, Jeff. If you hadn't posted your link, I wouldn't have thought to look and see what else that web site had to offer.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
You do realize that I have replied to you that science is not about being proven but the best explaination that covers ALL the evidence. Do you even bother to read what others write? If you are such a strong follower of the Bible check out the little bit about not giving false testimony against your neigbours. Unless you are very litteral and only accept your next door neighbour as one you should not make false testimony against they you have falsely claimed that I present evolution as a proven fact not a theory.
Didn't you tell me sometime back that you would stop responding to me? Isn't that false testimony? I really don't need another log on the fire.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Didn't you tell me sometime back that you would stop responding to me? Isn't that false testimony? I really don't need another log on the fire.

No it is called changing one's mind and that is allowable in this life and on this fourm. If I claimed that I never responded to your posts or that you never responded to mine that would be false testimony.

Returning to the fact or theory aspect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolut...act_and_theory

Actionbioscience | Evolution: Fact and Theory

Evolution Resources from the National Academies

Evolution is a Fact and a Theory

These are the first four links that came up when I Googled evolution fact or theory. You may want to pick one to find out why we dismiss your argue that evolution cannot be both a fact and a theory and why a theory is the more powerful term. Pick any one of them and read it. Not even asking you to agree with evolution being both a fact and a theory, simply learn what the two terms mean.

Believe it or not Jeff but I am actually trying to make it so that you can present better arguements to back you creationist view. It is more enjoyable to debate some one who does not accept evolution but knows what it actually is then some one who constatly misrepresents what evolution is in order for his opinion to be acceptable.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:49 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
On a couple of threads I have seen comments from Christians about how atheists are mean to them, persecute them, intrude into the religious lives, and so forth. When I asked for examples of this intrusion , excepting things that Christians tried to do that are violations of the Constitution, all I got was that the mean atheists wouldn't let Christians put the 10 Commandments up in a park, presumably a public funded park, which of course is a constitutional issue.

So then, would anyone else like to take a crack at it? In what exact ways are atheists, secularists, humanists, being mean and persecuting Christians ? Again, excepting things that Christians try to do that are violations of the Constitution .

Christians are mainly just upset that their unconstitutional status as the defacto official religion of the United States is going away. For decades, Christians have been given special treatment and access to public property, been allowed to proselytize and mandate Christian prayers in public schools/city council meetings, had Christian "Sharia Law" enshrined in civil law on issues like gay marriage and blue laws. Now that the tide is turning and they are being forced to abide by the Constitution and compete fairly in the marketplace of ideas they are freaking out.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:
I am mocked because of this:

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved"

Matthew 10:22

Now let's play a little devil's advocate. Isn't that an odd verse for the bible fiction writers to make up?
Not really a great promotion tool to tell people that becoming a Christian means you are going to be hated huh?

You certainly are acting like it is.

How convenient that you claim that humans come from a primate ancestor when we can't even observe it.
Just gotta take it on, what's that word, oh yea, FAITH.

I already told you what I base it on. Sure there are ugly things in this world because sin put a curse on God's creation.

Ok, I got it for the nth time. You think I'm stupid in science. Can we move on, or do you feel the need to tell me another 20 times that I lack scientific knowledge?
You are not mocked because of Jesus. Many non theists admire the person of Jesus . You are mocked because you say stupid stuff in defense of your brand of Christianity that is on par with believing in a flat earth, alien abductions, and a moon landing hoax. And because you are dishonestly selective in what areas of science you dispute , and your obvious intent on remaining willfully ignorant of the actual facts of the ToE .

In all my years spent participating in religious discussion sites I have seen Christian mocked over 2 things . Creationism and the ignorance based denial of evolution , and their pathological obsession over gays . Both of which are based on their own actions and NOT because they claim to be followers of Christ . Many Christians go through discussions on these sites their entire time with the utmost respect of non theists , because they earn it

Last edited by wallflash; 02-24-2016 at 01:09 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 01:00 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Not to mention selectively ignoring posts or parts of posts like they didn't exist.

This thread is a hoot.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You are not mocked because of Jesus. Many non theists admire the person of Jesus . You are mocked because you say stupid stuff in defense of your brand of Christianity that is on par with believing in a flat earth, alien abductions, and a moon landing hoax. And because you are dishonestly selective in what areas of science you dispute , and your obvious refusal to ever consider the actual facts of the ToE .
You are entitled to that opinion and it's expected since I've never once seen an atheist admit that a Christian was right. It is unfortunate that you have offered absolutely nothing to combat a single point I've made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality