Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:01 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times

Advertisements

On a couple of threads I have seen comments from Christians about how atheists are mean to them, persecute them, intrude into the religious lives, and so forth. When I asked for examples of this intrusion , excepting things that Christians tried to do that are violations of the Constitution, all I got was that the mean atheists wouldn't let Christians put the 10 Commandments up in a park, presumably a public funded park, which of course is a constitutional issue.

So then, would anyone else like to take a crack at it? In what exact ways are atheists, secularists, humanists, being mean and persecuting Christians ? Again, excepting things that Christians try to do that are violations of the Constitution .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:20 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
On a couple of threads I have seen comments from Christians about how atheists are mean to them, persecute them, intrude into the religious lives, and so forth. When I asked for examples of this intrusion , excepting things that Christians tried to do that are violations of the Constitution, all I got was that the mean atheists wouldn't let Christians put the 10 Commandments up in a park, presumably a public funded park, which of course is a constitutional issue.

So then, would anyone else like to take a crack at it? In what exact ways are atheists, secularists, humanists, being mean and persecuting Christians ? Again, excepting things that Christians try to do that are violations of the Constitution .
Given the fact that Christians use to burn people who did not agree with them at the stake, it hard to feel bad for them when their plans occasionally become disrupted.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:

They show them where they are wrong and have actual facts to support their statements that what they practice doe not reflect what they claim to believe.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:45 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

Probably when they make fun of people for believing, but that's not all that mean. It's to be EXPECTED because hey, they are atheists, and if you're not a believer, it does sound pretty funny.

Sometimes it can get old and childish, like the tired, overused "sky daddy" references, but let it roll off your back. It's hardly worth getting upset over.

Christians in the U.S.A. are FAR from persecuted and should be ashamed of applying the term to themselves here.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Given the fact that Christians use to burn people who did not agree with them at the stake, it hard to feel bad for them when their plans occasionally become disrupted.
Well, first of all, the people who did that are not people who are alive now, so that really makes no sense to pin people living now with responsibility for the actions of people long dead. Secondly, Christians burned one another at the stake for being the wrong type of Christian far more than they burned nonbelievers.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Fundamentalist ideologues need a Bogeyman, and an enemy.

This month it is the mean Atheists. However, ideologues want us to know they are happier than Atheists in a study, or something.....nah, na, na, na, na. Strange what an ideologue cares about.

Next week it will be women making independent reproductive health choices without their permission. Let me not forget those mean LGBTQ couples who want cake.

It is always about them. I am thinking they need a motto. I'm not happy till you're not happy.

Old 02-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Fundamentalist ideologues need a Bogeyman, and an enemy.

This month it is the mean Atheists. However, ideologues want us to know they are happier than Atheists in a study, or something.....nah, na, na, na, na. Strange what an ideologue cares about.

Next week it will be women making independent reproductive health choices without their permission. Let me not forget those mean LGBTQ couples who want cake.

It is always about them. I am thinking they need a motto. I'm not happy till you're not happy.

Perfect!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:48 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,730 times
Atheists are not the ones ringing doorbells and waking people up at 8 a.m. on a Sunday in order to try to convert them. Now THAT is mean!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:

I have yet to see a single atheist EVER be nice or friendly to a Christian. Not once. More specifically, you have a group like the Freedom from Religion Foundation who takes the Constitution and molds it to force communities to surrender any remotely trace of faith. You know it's a group that wants to tear down Christianity when their slogan is "nothing fails like prayer". It serves absolutely no benefit to society to demand things like removing a cross memorial from a 9/11 museum. That is pure meanness as many ppl could actually get comfort from such a memorial.

Your charge that such attacks do not count because it involves Constitutional law is not fair because they are misinterpreting the Constitution to their advantage. Any remote display or act of a religious nature does not automatically equate to a government office endorsing a particular religion. The Supreme Court has ruled this way too. So groups like FRRF operate only out of pure meanness and spite for Christians. Funny how they don't see to go after Muslims or other religions.

Last edited by jeffbase40; 02-18-2016 at 09:25 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 09:00 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Atheists are not the ones ringing doorbells and waking people up at 8 a.m. on a Sunday in order to try to convert them. Now THAT is mean!
Or disturbing us at any time on a Sunday or any other day of the week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality