Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 07:47 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Not really as I grew up in Houston and I would not say that it fits the bill at all.

I much prefer these types to have the whole planet of Mars for themselves. Out of sight out of mind.

First, being from TX myself, its not in the Deep South. South, but not the Deep South. Second, Houston isn't representative of much of east TX in terms of religion and mindset. Too cosmopolitan. Has one of the largest gay communities in the nation ( yes, in Texas!). One of the others is here in Dallas.There are places one hr away from Houston that don't realize the Civil War is over and the South lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
First, being from TX myself, its not in the Deep South. South, but not the Deep South. Second, Houston isn't representative of much of east TX in terms of religion and mindset. Too cosmopolitan. Has one of the largest gay communities in the nation ( yes, in Texas!). One of the others is here in Dallas.There are places one hr away from Houston that don't realize the Civil War is over and the South lost.
I know it's not the Deep South but it is one of the Cotton States.

Most think that Texas is a Deep South state but I know it's not. Most think that Houston is in the bible belt but that is also not correct...Houston is certainly surrounded by the bible belt but it's not part of it.

I can't imagine the religious mindset in East Texas. Thankful I did not grow up there.

Still I would love to help the Deep South progress...therefore I still choose Mars.

Last edited by Matadora; 02-28-2016 at 08:35 PM..

Old 02-28-2016, 10:04 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Freak...

I just wanted to call your attention to my Post #60, which I had expected to see a comment from you on by now, particularly since it clearly points out your misunderstanding of how Mormons view other religions.
It was my understanding that most Mormons were very conservative. Usually that means exclusivity, or thinking that ones own religion is the only right way.

You seem to be a more liberal Mormon.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mormonism has both liberal and conservative factions, much like Christianity does.

That's a whole new topic though. If you'd like to discuss it we can, but it'd be best to do that in a new thread.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
So anyway, back to the original topic:

Why do conservative Christians believe that Muslims are worshiping a false god, when clearly Allah is answering millions of prayers daily?

If millions of Muslims are delusional (as Vizio suggests), then how do we know that conservative Christisns aren't also delusional?

Is it only possible for Muslims to be delusional about answered prayers? Or is it possible for conservative Christians to be delusional about answered prayers too?

Old 02-28-2016, 10:16 PM

Christianity is all exclusive...which means they discredit anyone but their own. Exactly what you find in cults...all exclusive.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
What I was calling crazy was this statement.

GlnRule came in with the sweeping assumption that a fifth of the planet believes this. Which is why I told him that he does not know what one 5th of the world actually thinks...but if one 5th of the world believes the statement above then I stand by my words.

That statement posted by Vizio is absolutely wrong no matter how you want to slice and dice it. It's just as crazy as many other things that the bible claims.
Apologies. I misinterpreted your post.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It was my understanding that most Mormons were very conservative. Usually that means exclusivity, or thinking that ones own religion is the only right way.

You seem to be a more liberal Mormon.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Mormonism has both liberal and conservative factions, much like Christianity does.

That's a whole new topic though. If you'd like to discuss it we can, but it'd be best to do that in a new thread.
That won't be necessary. I just wanted to make sure you saw the article, because I can pretty much guarantee that nothing of that sort would EVER happen in a fundamentalist Christian church.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Christianity is all exclusive...which means they discredit anyone but their own. Exactly what you find in cults...all exclusive.
I'm a Christian. How are my beliefs exclusive? (Oh, wait... you don't know what my beliefs are, do you?)

Here are some quotes from a couple of my Church's former leaders (both are deceased):

“The great religious leaders of the world such as Mohammed, Confucius, and the Reformers, as well as philosophers including Socrates, Plato, and others, received a portion of God’s light. Moral truths were given to them by God to enlighten whole nations and to bring a higher level of understanding to individuals.” (President Spencer W. Kimball)

“While the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is established for the instruction of men, it is ONE of God’s instrumentalities for making known the truth; yet God is not limited to that institution for such purposes, neither in time nor place. He raises up wise men and prophets here and there among all the children of men, of their own tongue and nationality, speaking to them through means that they can comprehend; not always giving a fulness of truth such as may be found in the fulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ; but always giving that measure of truth that the people are prepared to receive. Mormonism holds, then, that all the great teachers are servants of God among all nations and in all ages. They are inspired men, appointed to instruct God’s children according to the conditions in the midst of which he finds them… Whenever God finds a soul sufficiently enlightened and pure; one with whom His Spirit can communicate, lo! He makes of him a teacher of men.” (Apostle B. H. Roberts)

Every year, a huge, free interfaith gathering is held in Salt Lake City. I've been to several of these, and they are anything but exclusive. Prayers, sermons, songs and dances are performed by people from a wide variety of faiths. The venue -- the Mormon Tabernacle -- is the LDS Church's offering to the event.

Please don't paint all Christians with the same brush.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm a Christian. How are my beliefs exclusive? (Oh, wait... you don't know what my beliefs are, do you?)
I was strictly speaking about the religion of Christianity. I have no clue what your interpretations are.

Christianity teaches that there is only one very narrowly constrained way to go about worshiping or pursuing spiritual growth and development. That "one way" is their way Period END OF CONVERSATION, according to them. You are deemed an outcast to suffer if you don't follow and believe in their "truth" exclusively.

All exclusiveness is exactly what christianity teaches. It professes to be the only one with the truth with no questions asked. It professes that there is only one god and it's exclusively the christian god.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Christianity teaches that there is only one very narrowly constrained way to go about worshiping or pursuing spiritual growth and development. That "one way" is their way Period END OF CONVERSATION, according to them. You are deemed an outcast to suffer if you don't follow and believe in their "truth" exclusively.
Yes, some denominations of Christianity do teach that. Others don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality