Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:01 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I called it correct last night. This thread was created for one single purpose. Create a trap "gotcha" situation for any Christian who dares to defend the passage. Then you are falsely labeled as someone who supports rape. Absolutely no interest in trying to understand what really is going on here or why God would say something that at first glace appears out of His character compared to the rest of the Bible.

An immoral evil God most certainly wouldn't have sacrificed part of his own being to endure physical torture for hours so we could have a chance to escape the finality of death.
It isn't a trap, Jeff. It is simple, really. You either condone the rape of women, or you don't. It seems you condone the rape of women. Must suck to worship something that allows/threatens people with rape, and then have to defend it or realize your religion is wrong.

God didn't "sacrifice" anything. Here, let me explain...

Sacrifice- an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.

Now, God gave up nothing of value. After all, once Jesus died, he simply rose to Heaven and was back where he came from. Now, as an "immortal" being, a few days of pain is hardly sacrificing anything. This is what you describe, and see no issue with....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 03:04 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
That's an assertion or a curse without an argument. Is that all you can do in a public forum for discussion?

Hey he will discuss the Toronto Blue Jays with you, being that he is from Canada.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:07 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
I'm not surprised. There is also a passage about how the sexual abuser's punishment is to marry the woman he has done that to.

This is the whole premise of the religion. In order to truly punish the bad apples, we must hurt innocent people in the process which is as we've said many times before..preposterous since god is all powerful so he would have other ways of punishing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
News flash for ya....Death is and always has been final....There is NO escape.
Yeah that's why I have thanatophobia. If this god exists, why did he not make it so I could avoid it entirely? Who says I wanted to go to heaven either?
Esp if it is described as a place where you "glorify the lord". I don't remember what passage that was I'm not an avid bible reader but I do recall it being there. Glorify him for what? "Thank you lord for letting people step all over me to the point I have had a dark cloud over my head many years of my life"

Old 03-07-2016, 03:11 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
It isn't a trap, Jeff. It is simple, really. You either condone the rape of women, or you don't. It seems you condone the rape of women. Must suck to worship something that allows/threatens people with rape, and then have to defend it or realize your religion is wrong.
No it is not simple. If you are going to throw gross disgusting accusations around then you better well know the cultural and language context. I would never condone rape and it is a mute point anyways (not to mention a disgusting way to attack my character) because I see nothing here to tell God forcing rape to happen. What happened happened because of man's sin, not God.

God didn't "sacrifice" anything. Here, let me explain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post

Sacrifice- an act of giving up something valued for the sake of something else regarded as more important or worthy.

Now, God gave up nothing of value. After all, once Jesus died, he simply rose to Heaven and was back where he came from. Now, as an "immortal" being, a few days of pain is hardly sacrificing anything. This is what you describe, and see no issue with....

Giving up a vacation day is a sacrifice. Sacrifice of time. Enduring extreme physical torture is a sacrifice of one's sense of well being at the very least.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:16 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
No it is not simple. If you are going to throw gross disgusting accusations around then you better well know the cultural and language context. I don't appreciate your blatantat offensive lies about me either. I would never condone rape and it is a mute point anyways because I see nothing here to tell God forcing rape to happen. What happened happened because of man's sin, not God.
And yet you conveniently avoid the argument that many atheists and I have explained time and time again.

Who created man? You and other Christians said it yourself "god created man" so by default god was the cause of this sin. The only way the Christian god would not be at fault is if he does not exist but you guys claim he exists so if he does, whatever happened in this world would always be primarily his doing.

Old 03-07-2016, 03:20 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The OP is wrong no one is given the wives to rape in full view of everyone ........ This sin is that King David ordered a man Uriah to go and fight a battle the Ammon were Uriah was killed , then King David took the wife of Uriah and made her King David wife and then Nathan, King David friend and relation to the Old King Saul rebuked King David and cursed His baby with death from his wife who was married to Uriah before because King David had Uriah killed in a hopeless battle ...............Then King David repented and prayed , but the baby died , which was supposed the judgment from God .........Were the OP says the unmoral god of the bible had threatens rape with was not true , no where does the bible say this

Old 03-07-2016, 03:34 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times
Quote:
No it is not simple. If you are going to throw gross disgusting accusations around then you better well know the cultural and language context. I would never condone rape and it is a mute point anyways (not to mention a disgusting way to attack my character) because I see nothing here to tell God forcing rape to happen. What happened happened because of man's sin, not God.
So God giving those women to another man to be raped was not God's fault? You see no flaw in that logic? You see no issue with God "giving" a man's innocent wives to someone else because he was mad at the guy?? And please, explain to me how it is "out of context". Did he, or did he not "give the women to the men so that he could have sex with them in broad daylight"? If he "gave" them to the man, that means the women did not CHOOSE to go to the man. That is rape, Jeff.

You are damn right I will attack the character of someone who condones rape, which is what you are doing, right here, right now.

Quote:
Giving up a vacation day is a sacrifice. Sacrifice of time. Enduring extreme physical torture is a sacrifice of one's sense of well being at the very least.
I don't think you get what I am saying here, Jeff. What did he actually give up? A few days of being human, knowing he was going to float back up to Heaven anyways? Give me a break. If you told me I could save a lot of people by dying, then coming back in 3 days, I would do it. I guess that makes me as good as your God, huh?

Point is, all Jesus "gave up" was 3 days of being human, KNOWING that he was just going to rise in 3 days to go back home. Oh yea, HUGE sacrifice there......

Old 03-07-2016, 03:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
I called it correct last night. This thread was created for one single purpose. Create a trap "gotcha" situation for any Christian who dares to defend the passage. Then you are falsely labeled as someone who supports rape. Absolutely no interest in trying to understand what really is going on here or why God would say something that at first glace appears out of His character compared to the rest of the Bible.

An immoral evil God most certainly wouldn't have sacrificed part of his own being to endure physical torture for hours so we could have a chance to escape the finality of death.
It's hardly out of character for the OT god.

Atrocity, torture and mass-murder is how he whiles away his down time. What's a little rape to a remorseless killing machine like that?

Old 03-07-2016, 04:18 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Why would God uses innocent women, and single them out to be molested in public in the first place?

My question is not gotcha. It is honest and sincere.

It is nice to see you understand there was a different definition of marriage in David's time.

However it still does not explain the expressed violence to the women.

Innocent my eyeball, God is bringing out in to the light so David can get the fill of his sinful nature way. He is supposed to be a man above reproach as he is to be the leader of Israel and he is acting this way, so bring his sin out of darkness in to light. God even casts a curse on him by having his new born son die. No way was this rape but to teach David about deception, about deceiving God. He thought he was gettiing away with his misdeed, it backfired in his face.

Last edited by perry335654; 03-07-2016 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 05:10 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's hardly out of character for the OT god.

Atrocity, torture and mass-murder is how he whiles away his down time. What's a little rape to a remorseless killing machine like that?
You only have a few OT stories where God takes action out of judgement against sin versus the rest of the Bible where God is loving and giving to those who put their faith in him. Your characterization of God is flat out wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality