Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:08 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You do not own the LEGAL definition of marriage. I don't care how you define it in your own church or your own life, but according to the state I am legally married.

If you honestly didn't care you wouldn't care that I can now go to city hall and get a marriage license.
Then why isn't a civil union good enough? Oh wait, it has everything to do with forcing everyone to socially accept gay marriage as normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 03:11 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then why isn't a civil union good enough? Oh wait, it has everything to do with forcing everyone to socially accept gay marriage as normal.
Why is/was there a need to set up a second separate form of legal union between adults when one already existed that works perfectly fine when extended to all people of every sexual persuasion ?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Back in my day, it already was a label that was a little broad for my taste, as I thought the Christianity Today crowd for example was a bit too theologically liberal / social gospel-y. But conservative Christians entering the political arena struck me then and now as mostly way more conservative than that, so that we really should be using the word "fundamentalist" here. It's just that "fundamentalist" has picked up the connotation "knuckle-dragger" and "evangelical" is a bit less pejorative, I'm guessing, so it has come to be used to talk about that voting bloc. "Conservative Christians" or "conservative Christianity" might be more accurate terms perhaps.
Good summary. I'll go with that.
Quote:
Agreed. Now is the winter of our discontent, and it isn't limited to Christians. It is more of a "99%" thing ... people who aren't wealthy and privileged vs those who are. The irony of course is that Trump is ... wait for it ... wealthy and privileged. And entitled. And narcissistic. So I doubt that many people are thinking clearly about who exactly has the moral authority to take up their cause. Or even to be clear on what their cause is. It's all rather unfocused.
You could say the same of those that are rooting for Bernie. The 99% want what they think is their's...and they're getting behind a rich, old, white guy.
Quote:
I'm gratified that you, and by extension, others in the faith, are not supporting demagoguery like Trump's, although what he has in common with Obama is unclear to me, unless it's just that Trump is a closet liberal. But that is creeping off-topic for this forum, I guess.
My point in comparing them is that they both appeal to those that think they have been ignored by the political elites. Obama came along promising hope and change and didn't really give a lot of explanation of how he'd do it. He simply said he'd transform America. Meanwhile, Trump is saying that we don't win anymore, and he'll help us do it. He is full of promises, but no details. He's bragging about how many first-time voters are voting for him...just like we heard about Obama.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Why is/was there a need to set up a second separate form of legal union between adults when one already existed that works perfectly fine when extended to all people of every sexual persuasion ?
For starters, marriage has never been about sex alone.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
One because most states BANNED civil unions, including my state.
Two separate but equal never is actually equal.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Who said it was? Do you think same sex couples only get married for sex? I didn't realize that a marriage certificate was required for sex.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
One because most states BANNED civil unions, including my state.
Two separate but equal never is actually equal.
You've always been able to get married. Just like every other person. Ironically, though.....same sex marriage has created a special form of "separate but equal" that only gay people participate in.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You've always been able to get married. Just like every other person. Ironically, though.....same sex marriage has created a special form of "separate but equal" that only gay people participate in.
Blah, blah, blah face it the law was unconstitutional and discriminatory.

PS, you can marry someone of the same sex if you so choose so how is that separate but equal?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:21 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
Quote:
Who said it was for gays ? I personally know a gay couple whose main reason for marriage was the spousal benefits on such things as insurance , retirement, owning a house .

They also raised a fine young man front an infant that would have been brought up in a barrio gang lifestyle had they not taken him in . Instead because of them he married a CPA , has a wonderful kid of his own, and a college education .

You assume what you do not know .

So let's try this again. Why create a new institution when the existing one works just fine and could be much easier extended to all ?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,567 times
Quote:
To be honest, the term "Evangelical" is almost meaningless today. It's so wide of a term, it's hard to define who is and is not an Evangelical.

Having said that, I don't know that it's about controlling others as much a it is an interest in seeing a society that we would actually enjoy living in. I honestly don't care what someone does in their bedroom, and I don't know a single Evangelical that does. But we do not want to see a society that is hostile to our values. We just want to live life. Of course, that will directly clash with others that don't have the same values, but why must we cater to those values instead of our's? We are voters, too.

At least you are willing to admit that Evangelicals are very similar to the Taliban/ISIS and desire a Christian form of Sharia Law. What you said amounts to using the power of the government to force everyone to live according to the tenets of your personal religious beliefs whether they want to or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality