Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
according to Trout Dude, is there a creator of the observable reality or not ?
I don't know.

Next!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't know.

Next!
If you don't know, then why do you overbearingly
disparage those who believe there is a creator ?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
If you don't know, then why do you overbearingly
disparage those who believe there is a creator ?
I do no such thing.

I disparage those who insist the psychotic mass murderer of the bible is that creator.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
The answer seems obvious to me
And what would that answer for deliberately creating humans defectively when the proper design was already in place and had to be purposefully broken be?

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I asked you to prove your assertion that when Einstein said "God doesn't play dice with the universe" that he wasn't talking about God.
We have answered this question many times in these fora, though I don't recall if you were the one posing the question. Einstein stated quite unambiguously over and over again that he did not believe in a personal interventionist god and felt such beliefs to be childish (his word) and primitive. He was essentially in the tradition of Spinoza, a sort of intellectual pantheist. When he used the word "god" he was referring to the natural world.

For example:
Quote:
Einstein expressed his skepticism regarding an anthropomorphic deity, often describing it as "naïve" and "childlike". He stated, "It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I feel also not able to imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere. My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly. I believe that we have to content ourselves with our imperfect knowledge and understanding and treat values and moral obligations as a purely human problem—the most important of all human problems."

On 24 April 1929, Einstein cabled Rabbi Herbert S. Goldstein in German: "I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the harmony of all that exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind." He expanded on this in written answers he gave to a Japanese scholar on his views on science and religion, which appeared as a limited edition publication, on the occasion of Einstein's 50th birthday:

Quote:
Scientific research can reduce superstition by encouraging people to think and view things in terms of cause and effect. Certain it is that a conviction, akin to religious feeling, of the rationality and intelligibility of the world lies behind all scientific work of a higher order... This firm belief, a belief bound up with a deep feeling, in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God. In common parlance this may be described as "pantheistic" (Spinoza).
So there you have it. Einstein did not believe in anything like your personal interventionist god. He was a pantheist. According to him. And elsewhere he expressed exasperation at Christians such as yourself attempting to mischaracterize his beliefs and turn him into your personal mascot.

I trust that you will stop making the unqualified claim "Einstein believed in god" to suggest that he was in any way in your corner. Even if he were, you would simply be marking an argument from authority.

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I do no such thing.

I disparage those who insist the psychotic mass murderer of the bible is that creator.
The Holy Bible says mankind brought evil and death upon itself.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:01 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Who?

When I say ID, I mean a creator of some sort. Someone/something that sparked the universe/life. Everything has a cause-why wouldn't the universe/life?

So when you say ID you don't really mean ID, and have no idea what ID says, you just believe in a creator.

OK then , did the creator make us out of other earlier primates or as a special creation not related to the primates ?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:06 AM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
That's nice. Do you have an actual logical argument or proof to offer concerning this assertion?

And how does that justify or explain the morality of ANY actor ... including your god ... who engages in and commands genocide? If a thing is immoral, it's immoral ... regardless of the actor. Actions are what are or are not moral. Unless you're introducing yet another special pleading for your deity that exempts him from the very morality he imposes on you.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Here is post #121:
That is not the assertion I wanted you to prove. I asked you to prove your assertion that when Einstein said "God doesn't play dice with the universe" that he wasn't talking about God.

Here is your assertion:
Did you click on the link?

Old 03-15-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So what?

The bible says a lot of ridiculous things. It's chock-full of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality