Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:45 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Forgive the silliness, it's just how I roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Please note that my reputation ratio to number of posts is somewhat better than yours. What does that say?
That you are boastful?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That you are boastful?
And much about his value system - or lack thereof.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
That you are boastful?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And much about his value system - or lack thereof.
Citing facts is boastful. Interesting new concept. Thanks.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
You asked the question - I replied with a suggested answer. Why else would you have mentioned your rep to post ratio? But let's not labor the point.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:39 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
It also says much about the company you keep.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:55 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I didn't bother answering at all for the simple reason that your questions didn't come across to be as a sincere interest in gaining new information. I've learned over the years that you can't take all "questions" at face value.
Good insight, and the response you were replying to surely proved your assumption in that regard. It's always an interesting view into someone's character when you see how they respond to receiving replies to something that they floated - responses that don't conform to the kind of replies they thought their inquiry was setting up.

Quote:
Which is what prevents you from becoming all that you can be. And will ultimately consign you and your ilk to a tiny footnote in history.
We'll all ultimately be consigned to a tiny footnote in history, and deluding one's self into thinking otherwise is not necessarily "better" or "worse" in the grand scheme of things, when taken in isolation. Blind, unsubstantiated faith doesn't especially correlate with personal misery. The crux of the issue is the impact that "prevention" from "becoming all that you can be" you referred to has on other people, i.e., the extent to which concentrations of blind, unsubstantiated faith has a deleterious impact on others.

Quote:
The problem with your line of thinking is the 2000 year old (and counting) track record of Christanty.
Christianity doesn't have a 2000 year track record. Christianity, despite its recurrent, fervent efforts to remain unchanged, is dragged forward through history like a derailed caboose of a runaway train. Today's ultra-conservative Christians would have been considered heretics by the ultra-conservative Christians of 500 years ago, and today's liberal Christians, even those Unitarian Christians and Universalist Christians whose belief systems resemble my own more than yours, will perhaps be viewed as conservatives 500 years from now. Christianity's longevity stems not from any special status for its belief, but rather stems from how readily the brand has been co-op'ed over and over again through time.

Quote:
Your opinion is fine. I however, am no fundie. I just figure the Bible is true.
Except you don't, not really. You've adopted this year's issue of selective interpretation of the Bible as truth. See the interchange with Vizio to realize just how a more fervent interpretation fares in the light of the crucible of actual truth.

And don't get me wrong: There's nothing wrong with joining a popular club. In the end, it all comes down to how you behave as a member of the popular club: Do you wear your popularity like a tiara and lord over those who have made other choices? Or do you regard those other choices as legitimate and worthy of respect as you expect to be afforded your choice?

Quote:
Your lack of self-confidence is noted.

I know you meant it as a joke, but you're actually right on-target. It's easy to please people with what one says when one spends most of the time talking about petty matters like cars and money, and providing useful insights in that regard, but the fact that one does so lends no legitimacy to one's comments on other matters. Moreover, pleasing people with what one says, even when one is talking about more weighty matters like justice and the human condition, isn't correlated with credibility, but rather with popularity. The two shouldn't be confused with each other.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:48 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There is plenty of evidence to believe in God. You may not agree--but you obviously haven't SEEN all the evidence, or any evidence that convinces you.
Vizio, can you give your number 1 piece of evidence that convinces you that god exists?

Just your number one,top shelf, piece of evidence please.

Quote:
He also gives man the freedom to make choices which result in those things.
Unless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He predestined me to be a Christian.
Or god decides to harden ones heart

Quote:
GOD'S WORD® Translation
Therefore, if God wants to be kind to anyone, he will be. If he wants to make someone stubborn, he will
biblehub.com/romans/9-18.htm

Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 AM

Quote:
The problem with your line of thinking is the 2000 year old (and counting) track record of Christanty. Your hope that this religion will just fade away in a 100 years, but current trends say otherwise.
Government forced religion and death to those that are not bilievers.

Wonderful religion you had no free will to believe in.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
1. Why do you care? My beliefs do not affect your life.

Get it? Betting not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality