Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:25 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Freedom from religion means everything to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Such intolerance.
I'm sorry. How does that even begin to equate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,171,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Fundamentalist types of religion persist (and spread) by indoctrination of children. Fundamentalists of various religions know this, so they get 'em while they're young. Some churches even have their own schools, so that children can be indoctrinated without outside interference.

Quite a few people on here (both religious and secular) have expressed disapproval of fundamentalist types of religion. As we have seen, fundamentalist religions are harmful to both individuals and society. One way to slow it would be to legally protect children from religious indoctrination. This seems reasonable: we don't allow parents to abuse children physically. Why should parents be allowed to abuse children emotionally, whether intentionally or not?
I think this is a dangerous game to play. I don't think imparting fundamental religious doctrines to a child is comparable to physical abuse, thus I don't think our actions against physical abuse lead to any conclusions about how we should handle fundamental doctrines.

Parents teach their kids broad ranges of ideas, and some of them are crazy. I don't like the idea of the government monitoring those sorts of teachings so long as they aren't dangerous to society or, at least in a very direct sense, to the kids themselves. One reason I think fundamental teaching is not nearly as problematic as physical abuse is that kids eventually become adults, and adults have the capability of eschewing their fundamental upbringing. This is no given, but it certainly happens enough that the problem is not as bad as it might seem on its face.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:53 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
How's about you define "Fundamentalist" so we can have an idea what exactly you're disapproving of and attempting to discriminate against?
I think we would be better off defining abuse. We do it already when it comes to parents and children. I think is all that really needs to be done is expand the definition of abuse (just a little actually) and then apply it to how parents choose to indoctrinate their children. Religion has been getting a free pass to dire consequences. The religion I grew up is obvious manipulative to anyone on the outside. They are not the only ones either.

Old 03-23-2016, 04:56 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think this is a dangerous game to play. I don't think imparting fundamental religious doctrines to a child is comparable to physical abuse, thus I don't think our actions against physical abuse lead to any conclusions about how we should handle fundamental doctrines.

Parents teach their kids broad ranges of ideas, and some of them are crazy. I don't like the idea of the government monitoring those sorts of teachings so long as they aren't dangerous to society or, at least in a very direct sense, to the kids themselves. One reason I think fundamental teaching is not nearly as problematic as physical abuse is that kids eventually become adults, and adults have the capability of eschewing their fundamental upbringing. This is no given, but it certainly happens enough that the problem is not as bad as it might seem on its face.
What would you consider evidence that it is actually harmful to the child? Who is really benefiting from this indoctrination? The Parent? The child? Society? The Church?

Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I think we would be better off defining abuse. We do it already when it comes to parents and children. I think is all that really needs to be done is expand the definition of abuse (just a little actually) and then apply it to how parents choose to indoctrinate their children. Religion has been getting a free pass to dire consequences. The religion I grew up is obvious manipulative to anyone on the outside. They are not the only ones either.
I've known some atheists that are quite abusive. The religion they claim is not an indicator.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:24 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
One of the primary weapons of fundamentalist-type religions is the ability to indoctrinate children. Children generally believe whatever they're told to believe by trusted adults, no matter how crazy the belief.

If fundamentalist types continue to have more children than liberal religious people and secular people, the future will look a lot like the past: a new Dark Age with wars faught over religion.

A lot of people complain about fundamentalism, but if we're going to allow it to keep reproducing, why complain? It's not going to stop, and it may even rule the day once again as it did in the Middle Ages.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:28 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
One of the primary weapons of fundamentalist-type religions is the ability to indoctrinate children. Children generally believe whatever they're told to believe by trusted adults, no matter how crazy the belief.
Weird...I have often thought the same of the atheistic liberal progressive worldview that is so prevalent among public education today.
Quote:
If fundamentalist types continue to have more children than liberal religious people and secular people, the future will look a lot like the past: a new Dark Age with wars faught over religion.
Those wars would have still been fought. Religion was just one of the things they used.
Quote:
A lot of people complain about fundamentalism, but if we're going to allow it to keep reproducing, why complain? It's not going to stop, and it may even rule the day once again as it did in the Middle Ages.
AGain....I say the same about the liberal progressive atheists in our country that are indoctrinating our kids in the school system.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What would you consider evidence that it is actually harmful to the child? Who is really benefiting from this indoctrination? The Parent? The child? Society? The Church?
I didn't claim it was harmful to children (although I do believe it probably is). I have no idea what would constitute evidence that a fundamental upbringing is harmful to children. I would imagine that a simple questionnaire might do the trick. Holding a lot of false yet consequential beliefs, such as the entire world is going to hell if the child isn't successful enough at converting them, would obviously be detrimental to mental health.

Who is benefiting from this indoctrination? I have no idea. When did I suggest that anyone was benefiting from the indoctrination?

Old 03-23-2016, 05:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:

So what are your proposals?

Education. Libraries. The internet. Each will do more to combat the effects of fundamentalism then having Big Brother deciding what can be told to children. The aptly named Slick's daughter, who decided her father was wrong, being exhibit number one.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
We have more options than simply "do nothing" and "make it illegal." Bad ideas, unless presently dangerous, should be countered with good ideas. That's how we have made significant strides against racism, sexism, etc. Society is not becoming increasingly fundamentalist. It's actually moving in the opposite direction. Your cataclysmic fears are unfounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality