Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2016, 02:52 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The other arguments are equally cruddy. They argue that the pencil box design is 'terrible' and a boat -like design is far better. But Eusebius will recall that he was always arguing the stability of a pencil box shape, and nobody thought it was boat -shaped. In any case, even if it was, that would be because people knew more about boat -building than when the original myth was written (and being Sumerian, we are looking at before 2,000 bc) they had a smaller world, a smaller flood, a smaller number of animals and a more primitive boat would do.
Apparently, the original 'design' was for a circular craft so it's length and breadth would be equal. The 'boat' building technology of the day was circular craft and they worked quite well apparently.

A suggestion as been made that the Sumerian 'ark' could have been a raft of these circular 'boats' lashed together in which case a 'square' configuration would be feasible too although a rectangular one would seem to be more logical unless only four were lashed together. But that's all just speculation of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 03:08 PM

[quote=Eusebius;44458272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
OK then, the easiest and simplest way to present is to provide a link to a youtube video presentation.

Sorry but the Genesis account came first. The Gilgamesh account was written around 600 some BC.
There are four flood myths, watch the video and you'll see what they are and their dates. Go in to the 10 minutes point.

Noah's Ark and before that, Utnapishtim's Ark (Epic of Gilgamesh) and before that, Atra-hasis and the oldest know, Ziusudra.

Quote:
The standard version was discovered by Hormuzd Rassam in the library of Ashurbanipal in Nineveh in 1853. It was written in a dialect of Akkadian that was used for literary purposes. This version was compiled by Sin-liqe-unninni sometime between 1300 and 1000 BC from earlier texts.

The standard Akkadian version has different opening words, or incipit, than the older version.
Quote:
OK then, the easiest and simplest way to present is to provide a link to a youtube video presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_um6...w#t=777.258771

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-18-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 03:14 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
[quote=303Guy;44462912]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
There are five flood myths, watch the video and you'll see what they are and their dates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_um6...w#t=777.258771
Eusebius has the answer to that - take the mountains away.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Speaking of science and its influence on religion . . .

Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah! He has taught me never to give up (now to apply that lesson). Good ol' Eusie. I can't help wondering what he is like in real life. Probably not a bad guy.

He could drive one scatty though!
I have to admit that you guys do bring a smile to my face.
I think we all who have been interacting in this thread are all unique. I'm sure if we all got together in a pub over in England that we would have a fantastic time together, laughing and carrying on about our posts. These message boards are so darn impersonal. But anyway, I do enjoy what you folks have to say even if I don't agree with a lot of it.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I think we all who have been interacting in this thread are all unique. I'm sure if we all got together in a pub over in England that we would have a fantastic time together, laughing and carrying on about our posts. These message boards are so darn impersonal. But anyway, I do enjoy what you folks have to say even if I don't agree with a lot of it.
You know we are mates, even though I think you don't give the evidence I present enough credit. And maybe I try to make some of it look more telling than it really is. I am sure we'd all get along fine over a round of lady cocktails, Liked the joke by the way. I smiled.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You know we are mates, even though I think you don't give the evidence I present enough credit. And maybe I try to make some of it look more telling than it really is. I am sure we'd all get along fine over a round of lady cocktails, Liked the joke by the way. I smiled.
Yup, we all would have us quite a chuckle.

I gave him a rep for his joke. I do rep him when he gives a clever retort.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:56 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Eusebius is the King of the Poes.
The best I've ever come across.

Quote:
I've told Eusebius this before but he simply ignores it and produces the same old debunked arguments and denialist backchat when debunked all over again.
That's what POEs do my old cabbage!

Old 06-19-2016, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The best I've ever come across.

That's what POEs do my old cabbage!
Ha! Thanks. That is actually a nice compliment.

I think we all bring some really good stuff to the table to mull over. Heck, if we all believed exactly the same there would probably be something wrong with us. Even if I am wrong (which I don't think I am) but even if I were, at least I really believe in what I understand to be true and don't back down and am not wishy washy about it. And the good thing is that neither are you. That is something to be admired.

Happy Father's day to all of us who have fathered children!

Old 06-19-2016, 04:56 AM

As I have said before, nobody denies your guts and tenacity. The only real area of conflict is the validity of the evidence and the weight of it (there is never total proof, and sometimes no more than indirect, circumstantial and negative evidence) or (like another very immovable poster here) sidestepping Occam's razor and opting for an unnecessary entity rather than go with the explanation without it, and it is on a preference derives from a faith.

There is perhaps more that I would care to admit in wanting evolution to be true. But really, I can set that aside, and opt for the evidence, otherwise I would have rejected the suggestion that many dinosaur species may just be juveniles of the same ones, and many humanoid fossil species may turn out to be different individuals of Habilis. In a way being able to set aside bias and be able to accept whatever turns out to be the truth, is a lot easier on the arteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality