Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2016, 03:07 AM

11,022 posts, read 5,981,700 times

Advertisements

Creationist go on about the 'absence' of transitional fossils or 'absence' of transitional species - species evolving before our very eyes. Well, they are overlooking a transitioning happening not only before our very eyes (literally) but to us. We are transitioning from a primitive, superstitious, creation believing being into a scientifically literate, logical thinking, rational being. But the process (progress) is painfully slow. The majority of humanity have yet to transition it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:04 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I'm not laughing Eusie. It's not funny at all. It's actually very sad. Very very sad.

Now let's talk about your Miocene mass extinction. There wasn't one. The dinosaurs didn't take over at the end of the Miocene after a mass extinction. The dinosaurs all died out 65 million years ago - that's sixty million years before the end of the Miocene. There was however a disruption in the middle of the Miocene in which large reptiles (crocodiles) living far north during the warm period before the disruption, died out when the climate cooled. Some sea animals died out too.
Sorry. That may be my fault. It is the Triassic extinction that is the subject here, but I came bolt awake last might thinking..."****...did I say Miocene?"

Which is of course the mammal -dominated era that followed the Cretaceous extinction. Still whatever you call the one that let the dinosaurs dominate, it doesn't make Eusebius' reading of Genesis work, no matter what odd -sounding translation he may use.

"Gen 1:1 Created by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 Yet the earth became/was a chaos and vacant
,"

It is not the only time an apologists has selected the particular alternative reading in order to suit themselves. It does not make sense in the context and does not fit the evidence. So Eusebius can peddle that reading till his beard falls out. I doubt that anybody is going to buy it.

Strong's Concordance
hayah: to fall out, come to pass, become, be
Original Word: הָיָה
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hayah
a few examples of the usage.

Genesis 3:20
HEB: כִּ֛י הִ֥וא הָֽיְתָ֖ה אֵ֥ם כָּל־
INT: because he become/was the mother of all

Genesis 18:12
HEB: אַחֲרֵ֤י בְלֹתִי֙ הָֽיְתָה־ לִּ֣י עֶדְנָ֔ה
NAS: I have become old, shall I have pleasure,

Genesis 29:17
HEB: רַכּ֑וֹת וְרָחֵל֙ הָֽיְתָ֔ה יְפַת־ תֹּ֖אַר
INT: were weak Rachel become/was beautiful of form

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-21-2016 at 04:25 AM..

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times
Quote:
I'm not laughing Eusie. It's not funny at all. It's actually very sad. Very very sad.

Now let's talk about your Miocene mass extinction. There wasn't one. The dinosaurs didn't take over at the end of the Miocene after a mass extinction. The dinosaurs all died out 65 million years ago - that's sixty million years before the end of the Miocene. There was however a disruption in the middle of the Miocene in which large reptiles (crocodiles) living far north during the warm period before the disruption, died out when the climate cooled. Some sea animals died out too.

It wasn't my Miocene mass extinction. I never made the claim for one. My claim is that Genesis 1:1 where "God created the heavens and earth" could have been millions or even billions of years prior to Geneis 1:2 where the earth became chaos and vacant of all life. So there had to be life on our earth from Genesis 1:1 to 1:2 if it BECAME vacant. If it was already vacant, it couldn't become vacant.

And Isaiah wrote:
Isa_45:18 For thus says Yahweh, Creator of the heavens; He is the Elohim, and Former of the earth, and its Maker, and He, He established it. He did not create it a chaos. He formed it to be indwelt. "I am Yahweh, and there is none else."

The improper translation of Genesis 1:2 has it that "the earth was formless and void." However, the Hebrew word for "became" in verse 2 is used quite a lot after verse two as well.

It was not till around 6 or so thousand years ago that God began making the earth habitable again. So evolution is a non sequitur in that it does not logically follow that such a thing could occur in just 6 thousand years.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 AM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
It's so simple, so obvious, I cannot understand how anyone cannot grasp it. Evolution versus magic. What's to choose from?
It doesn't matter what the Christians think about what the author was writing, Genesis creation is a symbolic story and just because some people want to say it is literal, doesn't mean they are correct. The story of Creation was purposely shown to be symbolic in it's 6 days of creation because the author knew the reader would figure out that he was presenting a symbolic story with esoteric meanings and metaphors or he wouldn't have shown a single day as being centuries because a single day is 24 hours.

Just because fundamentalists want to take it literal doesn't mean much to me but you should know that there are plenty of bible scholars that support evolution and a fundi never will.

The bible is not wrong, the people who present the creation story as a literal 6-24 hour days are wrong when Moses clearly showed one single day to take centuries because of the fact that you can't name everything that lives in 24 years, much less, 24 hours, and in that same day, Adam tilled the ground, sowed his seed and made harvests, and this can't be done in a 24 hour period and the author was no dummy.

Everything about the bible teaches evolution from cover to cover, of what is being done in priests officiating in the temple to many pictures of a man standing inside an animal as Jacob stood in the skins of an animal to fool his father.

We are taught from cover to cover that we are born into a body with the mind of a beast and how to overcome that beastly mind.

God first dwelt in the skins of animals layer after layer, and that was the Tabernacle but the Tabernacles also evolved because where God had dwelt in the skins of animals, he now dwells in the skins of humans. The sins of the whole world are put upon the head of a beast and it is no coincidence what all those sacrifices represented in that we ourselves are to be sacrifices in that we die daily to the carnal mind of a beast.

The bible is a book of history but more than that, it is a book that can only be read by a very esoteric mind. Most people will never understand any of the parables and hidden mysteries of the bible or what it is really teaching unless they can read the poetry when you take anything and relay it about a man. A man is a goat, a lamb, a wolf, a calf, a serpent, oxen, and the list goes on with everything that lives, and then you begin with the plants and the trees and the vines and what they mean. A man is a tree of a particular fruit or maybe his fruit is wood, he is an olive tree that bears oil or a brumbling bush, O the cedars of Lebanon.

It is too esoteric for most people to get because it is a language within itself.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Sorry. That may be my fault. It is the Triassic extinction that is the subject here, but I came bolt awake last might thinking..."****...did I say Miocene?"

Which is of course the mammal -dominated era that followed the Cretaceous extinction. Still whatever you call the one that let the dinosaurs dominate, it doesn't make Eusebius' reading of Genesis work, no matter what odd -sounding translation he may use.

"Gen 1:1 Created by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth.
Gen 1:2 Yet the earth became/was a chaos and vacant
,"

It is not the only time an apologists has selected the particular alternative reading in order to suit themselves. It does not make sense in the context and does not fit the evidence. So Eusebius can peddle that reading till his beard falls out. I doubt that anybody is going to buy it.

Strong's Concordance
hayah: to fall out, come to pass, become, be
Original Word: הָיָה
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hayah
a few examples of the usage.

Genesis 3:20
HEB: כִּ֛י הִ֥וא הָֽיְתָ֖ה אֵ֥ם כָּל־
INT: because he become/was the mother of all

Genesis 18:12
HEB: אַחֲרֵ֤י בְלֹתִי֙ הָֽיְתָה־ לִּ֣י עֶדְנָ֔ה
NAS: I have become old, shall I have pleasure,

Genesis 29:17
HEB: רַכּ֑וֹת וְרָחֵל֙ הָֽיְתָ֔ה יְפַת־ תֹּ֖אַר
INT: were weak Rachel become/was beautiful of form

But "became" is the correct word in Genesis 1:2. Here are other verses in Genesis where "became" is properly used:

Gen_1:2 Yet the earth became a chaos and vacant, and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos. Yet the spirit of the Elohim is vibrating over the surface of the water.

Gen_6:9 These are the genealogical annals of Noah: Noah is a just man. Flawless became he in his generations. With the Elohim walks Noah.

Gen_30:42 Yet with the drooping ones of the flock he is not placing them. And the drooping became Laban's and the sinewy Jacob's.

Gen_31:40 So became I: In the day the drought devoured me, and the ice in the night, and flit did my sleep from my eyes.

Gen_40:13 In further three days Pharaoh will lift up your head, and restore you to your post, and you shall give Pharaoh's cup into his hand, according to the former custom, by which you became his cupbearer.

Gen_44:32 For your servant became surety for the youth with my father, saying, `Should I not bring him to you and set him before you, I sin against my father all my days..

Gen_46:32 And the mortals are graziers of flocks, for they became cattlemen, and their flocks and their herds and all that is theirs have they brought..

And here is just the first chapter of Genesis where "become" is used and the same Hebrew word for "come to be"

Genesis 1:1-31 by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth. (2) Yet the earth became a chaos and vacant, and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos. Yet the spirit of the Elohim is vibrating over the surface of the water. (3) And saying is the Elohim, "Become light!" And it is becoming light. (4) And seeing is the Elohim the light, that it is good. And separating is the Elohim between the light and the darkness. (5) And calling is the Elohim the light "day, and the darkness He calls "night." And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, day one. (6) And saying is the Elohim, "Become shall an atmosphere in the midst of the water, and coming is a separation between water and water. (7) And coming is it to be so. And making is the Elohim the atmosphere. And separating is He between the water which is under the atmosphere and the water which is above the atmosphere. (8) And calling is the Elohim the atmosphere "heavens." And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the second day. (9) And saying is the Elohim, "Flow together shall the water from under the heavens to one place, and appear shall the dry land." And coming is it to be so. And flowing together is the water under the heavens to one place, and appearing is the dry land. (10) And calling is the Elohim the dry part "land" [or "earth"] and the confluence of the water He calls "seas. "And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (11) And saying is the Elohim, "Verdant shall become the land with verdure; with herbage seeding seed for its from-kind and for its likeness. and with the fruit tree whose seed is in it yielding fruit for its from-kind on the land." And coming is it to be so. (12) And forth is the land bringing verdure; herbage seeding seed for its from-kind, and for its likeness, and the fruit tree whose seed is in it, yielding fruit for its from-kind, on the land. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (13) And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the third day. (14) And saying is the Elohim, "Become shall luminaries in the atmosphere of the heavens, to give light on the earth, to separate between the day and the night. And they come to be for signs and for appointments, and for days and years. (15) And there come to be luminaries in the atmosphere of the heavens to give light on the earth. And coming is it to be so. (16) And making is the Elohim two great luminaries, the greater luminary for ruling the day, and the smaller luminary for ruling the night, and the stars. (17) And bestowing them is the Elohim in the atmosphere of the heavens to give light on the earth, (18) and to rule in the day and in the night, and to separate between the light and the darkness. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (19) And coming is it to be evening, and coming to be morning, the fourth day. (20) And saying is the Elohim, "Roam shall the water with the roaming, living soul, and the flyer shall fly over the earth on the face of the atmosphere of the heavens." And coming is it to be so. (21) And creating is the Elohim great monsters and every living moving soul, with which the water roams, for their from-kind, and every winged flyer for its from-kind. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (22) And blessing them is the Elohim, saying, "Be fruitful and increase and fill the water of the seas. And the flyer is to be increasing in the earth. (23) And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the fifth day. (24) And saying is the Elohim, "Bring forth shall the earth the living soul for its from-kind, beast and moving animal and land life for its from-kind. "And coming is it to be so. (25) And making is the Elohim, the land life for its from-kind, and the beast for its from-kind, and every moving animal of the ground for its from-kind. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (26) And saying is the Elohim, "Make will We humanity in Our image, and according to Our likeness, and sway shall they over the fish of the sea, and over the flyer of the heavens, and over the beast, and over all land life, and over every moving animal moving on the land. (27) And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it. Male and female He creates them. (28) And blessing them is the Elohim. And saying to them is the Elohim, "Be fruitful and increase and fill the earth, and subdue it. And sway over the fish of the sea, and over the flyer of the heavens, and over the beast, and over all the earth, and over all life moving on the land. (29) And saying is the Elohim, "Behold, I give to you all herbage seeding seed, which is on the surface of the entire earth, and every tree which has in it the fruit of a tree seeding seed. For you it is coming to be for food. (30) And for all land life, and for every flyer of the heavens, and for every moving animal on the land, which has in it a living soul, all green herbage is for food. And coming is it to be so. (31) And seeing is the Elohim all that He had made, and, behold, it is very good. And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the sixth day.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 AM

261 posts, read 156,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
But "became" is the correct word in Genesis 1:2. Here are other verses in Genesis where "became" is properly used:

Gen_1:2 Yet the earth became a chaos and vacant, and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos. Yet the spirit of the Elohim is vibrating over the surface of the water.

Gen_6:9 These are the genealogical annals of Noah: Noah is a just man. Flawless became he in his generations. With the Elohim walks Noah.

Gen_30:42 Yet with the drooping ones of the flock he is not placing them. And the drooping became Laban's and the sinewy Jacob's.

Gen_31:40 So became I: In the day the drought devoured me, and the ice in the night, and flit did my sleep from my eyes.

Gen_40:13 In further three days Pharaoh will lift up your head, and restore you to your post, and you shall give Pharaoh's cup into his hand, according to the former custom, by which you became his cupbearer.

Gen_44:32 For your servant became surety for the youth with my father, saying, `Should I not bring him to you and set him before you, I sin against my father all my days..

Gen_46:32 And the mortals are graziers of flocks, for they became cattlemen, and their flocks and their herds and all that is theirs have they brought..

And here is just the first chapter of Genesis where "become" is used and the same Hebrew word for "come to be"

Genesis 1:1-31 by the Elohim were the heavens and the earth. (2) Yet the earth became a chaos and vacant, and darkness was on the surface of the submerged chaos. Yet the spirit of the Elohim is vibrating over the surface of the water. (3) And saying is the Elohim, "Become light!" And it is becoming light. (4) And seeing is the Elohim the light, that it is good. And separating is the Elohim between the light and the darkness. (5) And calling is the Elohim the light "day, and the darkness He calls "night." And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, day one. (6) And saying is the Elohim, "Become shall an atmosphere in the midst of the water, and coming is a separation between water and water. (7) And coming is it to be so. And making is the Elohim the atmosphere. And separating is He between the water which is under the atmosphere and the water which is above the atmosphere. (8) And calling is the Elohim the atmosphere "heavens." And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the second day. (9) And saying is the Elohim, "Flow together shall the water from under the heavens to one place, and appear shall the dry land." And coming is it to be so. And flowing together is the water under the heavens to one place, and appearing is the dry land. (10) And calling is the Elohim the dry part "land" [or "earth"] and the confluence of the water He calls "seas. "And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (11) And saying is the Elohim, "Verdant shall become the land with verdure; with herbage seeding seed for its from-kind and for its likeness. and with the fruit tree whose seed is in it yielding fruit for its from-kind on the land." And coming is it to be so. (12) And forth is the land bringing verdure; herbage seeding seed for its from-kind, and for its likeness, and the fruit tree whose seed is in it, yielding fruit for its from-kind, on the land. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (13) And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the third day. (14) And saying is the Elohim, "Become shall luminaries in the atmosphere of the heavens, to give light on the earth, to separate between the day and the night. And they come to be for signs and for appointments, and for days and years. (15) And there come to be luminaries in the atmosphere of the heavens to give light on the earth. And coming is it to be so. (16) And making is the Elohim two great luminaries, the greater luminary for ruling the day, and the smaller luminary for ruling the night, and the stars. (17) And bestowing them is the Elohim in the atmosphere of the heavens to give light on the earth, (18) and to rule in the day and in the night, and to separate between the light and the darkness. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (19) And coming is it to be evening, and coming to be morning, the fourth day. (20) And saying is the Elohim, "Roam shall the water with the roaming, living soul, and the flyer shall fly over the earth on the face of the atmosphere of the heavens." And coming is it to be so. (21) And creating is the Elohim great monsters and every living moving soul, with which the water roams, for their from-kind, and every winged flyer for its from-kind. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (22) And blessing them is the Elohim, saying, "Be fruitful and increase and fill the water of the seas. And the flyer is to be increasing in the earth. (23) And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the fifth day. (24) And saying is the Elohim, "Bring forth shall the earth the living soul for its from-kind, beast and moving animal and land life for its from-kind. "And coming is it to be so. (25) And making is the Elohim, the land life for its from-kind, and the beast for its from-kind, and every moving animal of the ground for its from-kind. And seeing is the Elohim that it is good. (26) And saying is the Elohim, "Make will We humanity in Our image, and according to Our likeness, and sway shall they over the fish of the sea, and over the flyer of the heavens, and over the beast, and over all land life, and over every moving animal moving on the land. (27) And creating is the Elohim humanity in His image. In the image of the Elohim He creates it. Male and female He creates them. (28) And blessing them is the Elohim. And saying to them is the Elohim, "Be fruitful and increase and fill the earth, and subdue it. And sway over the fish of the sea, and over the flyer of the heavens, and over the beast, and over all the earth, and over all life moving on the land. (29) And saying is the Elohim, "Behold, I give to you all herbage seeding seed, which is on the surface of the entire earth, and every tree which has in it the fruit of a tree seeding seed. For you it is coming to be for food. (30) And for all land life, and for every flyer of the heavens, and for every moving animal on the land, which has in it a living soul, all green herbage is for food. And coming is it to be so. (31) And seeing is the Elohim all that He had made, and, behold, it is very good. And coming is it to be evening and coming to be morning, the sixth day.

More GARBAGE.

Old 04-21-2016, 12:38 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

But that is become in the same sense of was, or came to be. You can see from your own examples that what becomes moved on from what was not there before, so refutes your suggestion that an entire creation was there, wiped out and the whole earth became as void and formless as it was when the first earth was created...which means that there is not the slightest reason to read other than that this is what the earth was/became from the start.
That of course is without the fossil record that fails to show any sign of this obliteration of a whole creation (for not even the bad reason of the Noachian flood) and exact re creation of a Triassic biosphere plus dinosaurs and minus the large reptiles.

It really doesn't work Eusebius and the ambiguity of hayah is just too thin a hook to hang a theory in defiance of the fossil and biblical evidence on.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
But that is become in the same sense of was, or came to be. You can see from your own examples that what becomes moved on from what was not there before, so refutes your suggestion that an entire creation was there, wiped out and the whole earth became as void and formless as it was when the first earth was created...which means that there is not the slightest reason to read other than that this is what the earth was/became from the start.
That of course is without the fossil record that fails to show any sign of this obliteration of a whole creation (for not even the bad reason of the Noachian flood) and exact re creation of a Triassic biosphere plus dinosaurs and minus the large reptiles.

It really doesn't work Eusebius and the ambiguity of hayah is just too thin a hook to hang a theory in defiance of the fossil and biblical evidence on.
You aren't making any sense. Of course the entire NEW creation is in 1:1 then in 1:2 the earth became chaos and vacant.

I never said the first earth of Genesis 1:1 was void and formless. My whole point is that it was teeming with life and then it became vacant of all life in 1:2.

I also don't know why you say the fossil record does not support these historic facts especially when there could have been millions or even billions of years elapsed between 1:1 and 1:2. Obviously not absolutely EVERYTHING was wiped out DURING 1:1. It was only when 1:2 came that the earth became a chaos and vacant.

Hayah is not ambiguous. It is only ambiguous to people like you and others who want to make it what it is not to prop up their own untenable position.

I am really getting tired of this balogna when over and over you don't get what I am saying and I've said the same thing over and over and over.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
More GARBAGE.
It is my understanding that a fool would make such a charge.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:12 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It doesn't matter what the Christians think about what the author was writing, Genesis creation is a symbolic story and just because some people want to say it is literal, doesn't mean they are correct. The story of Creation was purposely shown to be symbolic in it's 6 days of creation because the author knew the reader would figure out that he was presenting a symbolic story with esoteric meanings and metaphors or he wouldn't have shown a single day as being centuries because a single day is 24 hours.
Don't you find it very odd that this "god" would not pass along his very important message in a clear and precise manner? You know...with precision and accuracy so that everyone would be in agreement...no confusion, no holy wars, no dividedness, no fundamentalists, no creation of over 4000 religions.

A simple math problem of 2 +2 = 4 is globally accepted but the vital very important message that "god" gave to fallible corruptible humans is still being spread with different interpretations?

Why would an all powerful almighty god allow the continuation of these widespread falsehoods? It would be effortless for this "god" to correct all of this confusion. Think about it...there would not even be a need for this "god" to correct his message in the first place...Why? Because a perfect being would have gotten it right the first time.

It's clear by all the biblical interpretation disagreements that this "god" is telling all of you very different and very contradictory things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Everything about the bible teaches evolution from cover to cover, of what is being done in priests officiating in the temple to many pictures of a man standing inside an animal as Jacob stood in the skins of an animal to fool his father.
This is not evolution and no the bible does not teach anything about biological evolution.

Show me in the bible where it describes the process of Speciation.

Show me in the bible where it describes changes in the genetic composition of a population with the passage of each generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality