Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
In Islam, isn't the punishment for apostasy, death? Far worse than shunning.
Shunning has terrible psychological effects on people. Any organization that forces you to choose between family and their ideologies is a cult.
Amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 03:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Thanks. I really appreciate the support I have gotten on this site. My main goal is to get some healing out of telling my story. These groups are hyper adapt and silencing their victims. The ones still stuck inside can't speak so we advocate for them on the outside. .This is my big FU to the Watchtower and it's misery machine.
I can't rep you L8Gr8Apost8, but I agree with you 100%! JW's take the FU train...

Old 06-01-2016, 05:38 AM

97 posts, read 55,687 times
To those who are shunned who were JWs - if they have committed a serious sin (adultery fornication stealing slander etc) they are disfellowhsipped then shunned. If the person concerned refuses to repent they are removed. Remove the wicked man from among you. This keeps the congregation clean and free from those influences. Paul said a little leaven ferments the whole lump. Some JWs think they are shunned but they are probably not theyve just become inactive and lost their way. I know of many who were in that situation. Theres more hope for inactive than disfellowhsipped ones. The last regional convention had a brochure Return to Jehovah. Available on JW Library jw.org is visited by 1.6 mil a day and 1.5 mil downloads a day occur.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:02 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrin57 View Post
To those who are shunned who were JWs - if they have committed a serious sin (adultery fornication stealing slander etc) they are disfellowhsipped then shunned. If the person concerned refuses to repent they are removed. Remove the wicked man from among you. This keeps the congregation clean and free from those influences. Paul said a little leaven ferments the whole lump. Some JWs think they are shunned but they are probably not theyve just become inactive and lost their way. I know of many who were in that situation. Theres more hope for inactive than disfellowhsipped ones. The last regional convention had a brochure Return to Jehovah. Available on JW Library jw.org is visited by 1.6 mil a day and 1.5 mil downloads a day occur.
So we should put you firmly on the "Shunning is A-Okay with me!!" train then, huh? Religion does terrible things to the brain, and people that talk like this prove it.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I've read or heard of hundreds of cases of religious families shunning non-religious relatives.

Yours is the first I've heard of the opposite.
You should really pay more attention in life. It happens quite often that a non-religious family doesn't know how to handle it when a kid starts to show interest in religion and they react very negatively.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:17 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You should really pay more attention in life. It happens quite often that a non-religious family doesn't know how to handle it when a kid starts to show interest in religion and they react very negatively.
How do you know this? Have you taken in homeless children thrown out by irreligious parents?

A church I once went to used to provide free busing to Sunday School and Vacation Bible School ... with an emphasis on reaching the children of "the unchurched". In my experience there was no resistance on the part of "unchurched" parents. If anything they were glad to have supervised activities for the kids and have a couple hours of peace and quiet.

Somehow I smell a stereotype here that all irreligious parents are angry at god, hate church and church people, and/or know they "should" be going and are embarrassed that they're not; and so, by god (ha!) THEIR kids are not going to go to any durn-fool holly roller meetin'!

In my experience, then and now, most people don't go to church due to a far less flatting and interesting reason: they're indifferent and disinterested in it, if not totally ignorant concerning it. So if their children wanted to go and if someone makes it easy for them to go, they are not going to lock the kid up in his bedroom closet over it.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
How do you know this? Have you taken in homeless children thrown out by irreligious parents?
I have known people that were shunned by non-religious family. I have been the guy that lost all of his non-religious friends because I believed in Jesus.
Quote:
A church I once went to used to provide free busing to Sunday School and Vacation Bible School ... with an emphasis on reaching the children of "the unchurched". In my experience there was no resistance on the part of "unchurched" parents. If anything they were glad to have supervised activities for the kids and have a couple hours of peace and quiet.
And likewise, there are kids in town that ride their bikes to my church for Sunday School. The parents are happy to let them come, although they don't come themselves. But I'm not suggesting that all non-believers or unchurched practice shunning. I'm saying some do. Of course, at this point they're just cute little kids that don't really try to tell their parents that their beliefs are wrong. That might change as they get older.
Quote:
Somehow I smell a stereotype here that all irreligious parents are angry at god, hate church and church people, and/or know they "should" be going and are embarrassed that they're not; and so, by god (ha!) THEIR kids are not going to go to any durn-fool holly roller meetin'!
I've never said that, have I?
Quote:
In my experience, then and now, most people don't go to church due to a far less flatting and interesting reason: they're indifferent and disinterested in it, if not totally ignorant concerning it. So if their children wanted to go and if someone makes it easy for them to go, they are not going to lock the kid up in his bedroom closet over it.
I completely agree. I have had people look me in the eye and tell me they are simply too lazy to come to a 10 am service. I realize that it's not always simply that they're angry at God.

Having said that, I also realize that there is a population of angry atheists that are very bothered by the idea of their kids actually going to church. I'd expect you'd find a lot of those folks at the "Reason Rally" that someone posted on another thread.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:29 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I realize that it's not always simply that they're angry at God.

Having said that, I also realize that there is a population of angry atheists that are very bothered by the idea of their kids actually going to church. I'd expect you'd find a lot of those folks at the "Reason Rally" that someone posted on another thread.
Some, doubtless. A lot? I highly doubt it. Besides, that Rally is promoting the social and political influence of non-religious secularists, of which atheists are only a subset.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 AM

97 posts, read 55,687 times
southernbored With respect I was one of those disfellowhsipped twice - then shunned but if one is in that state you can repent and be accepted back into the fold again. When you've thought over things and miss your warm relationship with Jehovah and close family and friends you do all you can to fix things to have that closeness back again.
Put it this way When Jesus came he taught a new way of worship. He taught his disciples love. And yet before he arrived if anyone was an adulterer or fornicator etc they were STONED. His death did away with the Mosaic law and the many 600 or so laws that went with that code. He nailed the Law to the stake. Col 2:13 Furthermore though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh God made you alive together with him. He kindly FORGAVE US ALL OUR TRESPASSES and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way BY NAILING IT TO THE TORTURE STAKE. So in the first century there were instances when removal of anointed Christians did take place. 1 Cor 5:1-12 But now I am writing to you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner not even eating with such a man. For what DO I HAVE TO DO WITH JUDGING THOSE OUTSIDE? DO YOU NOT JUDGE THOSE INSIDE while God judges those outside? Vs 13 Remove the wicked person from among you. JW follow the same pattern of shunning as Paul and the early Christians did. 2 Cor 2:7-11 The man who had been removed had repented and accepted back in the congregation. They were to confirm their love for him. The purpose of disfellowshipping is to keep the congregation and organization clean from immoral and spiritually harmful influences. While there is time they can repent and turn around and serve God again. The parable of the prodigal son is a lesson in Jehovahs mercy. He knows some of his servants may leave, lose their way get lost in Satans world or are disfellowhsipped (1 John 5:19,20 ) but just like the father in the parable Luke 15:20 he saw his boy while he was a long way off. His father was searching for his return moved with pity ran fell on his neck and tenderly kissed him. Thats the way Jehovah feels when we return. Even the angels rejoice Luke 15:4-7
With respect you dont know my brain only my God does and that's enough for me. Regards

Old 06-03-2016, 11:35 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrin57 View Post
southernbored With respect I was one of those disfellowhsipped twice - then shunned but if one is in that state you can repent and be accepted back into the fold again. When you've thought over things and miss your warm relationship with Jehovah and close family and friends you do all you can to fix things to have that closeness back again.
Put it this way When Jesus came he taught a new way of worship. He taught his disciples love. And yet before he arrived if anyone was an adulterer or fornicator etc they were STONED. His death did away with the Mosaic law and the many 600 or so laws that went with that code. He nailed the Law to the stake. Col 2:13 Furthermore though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh God made you alive together with him. He kindly FORGAVE US ALL OUR TRESPASSES and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way BY NAILING IT TO THE TORTURE STAKE. So in the first century there were instances when removal of anointed Christians did take place. 1 Cor 5:1-12 But now I am writing to you to stop keeping company with anyone called a brother who is sexually immoral or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner not even eating with such a man. For what DO I HAVE TO DO WITH JUDGING THOSE OUTSIDE? DO YOU NOT JUDGE THOSE INSIDE while God judges those outside? Vs 13 Remove the wicked person from among you. JW follow the same pattern of shunning as Paul and the early Christians did. 2 Cor 2:7-11 The man who had been removed had repented and accepted back in the congregation. They were to confirm their love for him. The purpose of disfellowshipping is to keep the congregation and organization clean from immoral and spiritually harmful influences. While there is time they can repent and turn around and serve God again. The parable of the prodigal son is a lesson in Jehovahs mercy. He knows some of his servants may leave, lose their way get lost in Satans world or are disfellowhsipped (1 John 5:19,20 ) but just like the father in the parable Luke 15:20 he saw his boy while he was a long way off. His father was searching for his return moved with pity ran fell on his neck and tenderly kissed him. Thats the way Jehovah feels when we return. Even the angels rejoice Luke 15:4-7
With respect you dont know my brain only my God does and that's enough for me. Regards
Again.... So you are firmly in the camp that thinks shunning is perfectly okay, and you are showing what religion does to someone's brain/mind/rational thinking/etc. You merit no more response, as you have shown in just the few posts I have seen you make, that you are brainwashed and incapable of having a conversation without using Bible verses. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality