Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 01:23 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The more important question is, do you believe Jesus? For example, John 3:16.
You'd love the world more if you DIDN'T commit assisted-suicide-child-sacrifice fusion for it, but just benignly educated it with overwhelming love and capability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
The more important question is, do you believe Jesus? For example, John 3:16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Perhaps so. What you believe may be more important than which church you attend.
Church attendance is just an extension of the Christian life. It's a place to meet with other believers to worship, study God's Word and participate in ministry. It doesn't have to be a building with a steeple on top, but every believer should meet together with other believers, so that "iron sharpens iron". There are no "lone ranger" Christians.

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 03-28-2016 at 08:36 AM..

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Church attendance is just an extension of the Christian life. It's a place to meet with other believers to worship, study God's Word and participate in ministry. It doesn't have to be a building with a steeple on top, but every believer should meet together with other believers, so that 'iron sharpens iron". There are no "lone ranger" Christians.
Except that in my experience it is not so much iron sharpening iron as it is making nice, going along to get along, and avoiding the violation of numerous taboos, lest some fragile ego perceive an existential threat where none exists.

The metaphor "iron sharpening iron" is supposed to evoke knocking each other's rough edges off but in practice it is "provoking one another to good works", which is a nice way of saying "guilting each other into doing their duty".

Of course you will inevitably claim that your church is different -- everyone does -- but at the end of the day the purpose of "gathering together" is simply to reinforce each other's confirmation bias and conformity to the norms of that particular sub-society.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Except that in my experience it is not so much iron sharpening iron as it is making nice, going along to get along, and avoiding the violation of numerous taboos, lest some fragile ego perceive an existential threat where none exists.

The metaphor "iron sharpening iron" is supposed to evoke knocking each other's rough edges off but in practice it is "provoking one another to good works", which is a nice way of saying "guilting each other into doing their duty".

Of course you will inevitably claim that your church is different -- everyone does -- but at the end of the day the purpose of "gathering together" is simply to reinforce each other's confirmation bias and conformity to the norms of that particular sub-society.
No one is forced to attend a particular church. I suspect if a person really wants to find a church home, they can. If a believer can't find a suitable church to serve from, the problem lies within said believer, not the church.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Church attendance is just an extension of the Christian life. It's a place to meet with other believers to worship, study God's Word and participate in ministry. It doesn't have to be a building with a steeple on top, but every believer should meet together with other believers, so that "iron sharpens iron". There are no "lone ranger" Christians.
Yes, I'm with Mordant, there. The purpose of Churches is to reinforce the membership -feeling. On you own one can drift away. Tracie Harris' video talk on Christianity and "good for families" is an eye -opener on the way Church attendance keeps the faithful n line.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Most people who leave the church and never go back have unforgiving against the people of God and then God himself , as Jesus is one with His people ..... So it is best to forgive the church and God as unforgiving can be a grave error if nothing is done ........ Still you could find a new church with those who obey Jesus commandments
Off topic, but I am curious why a lot of Christians post this same type of gibberish. Does growing up in a certain church or faith teach you this weird language and phrasing? What does unforgiving against the people of God even mean? I see a lot of similar oddities in many posts in this forum and they all seem to have a devout Christianity background. Is this a special lingo you pick up after years attending certain Christian churches?

Old 03-28-2016, 04:06 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
Off topic, but I am curious why a lot of Christians post this same type of gibberish. Does growing up in a certain church or faith teach you this weird language and phrasing? What does unforgiving against the people of God even mean? I see a lot of similar oddities in many posts in this forum and they all seem to have a devout Christianity background. Is this a special lingo you pick up after years attending certain Christian churches?
I'm always amused by the habit of posting an argument or opinion or exhortation in the form of Bibletext. Don't see it so much these days.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:11 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
It's called 'rhetoric' and no one knows what it means. This probably includes the user of the rhetoric.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:14 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm always amused by the habit of posting an argument or opinion or exhortation in the form of Bibletext. Don't see it so much these days.
This often means (not always) that the person is incapable of expressing any of their own thoughts.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:51 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
No one is forced to attend a particular church. I suspect if a person really wants to find a church home, they can. If a believer can't find a suitable church to serve from, the problem lies within said believer, not the church.
As a believer, I always used to say that if I ever found the perfect church, I'd join it and ruin it ;-)

I don't therefore avoid church because it's "full of hypocrites" because that's just a way of saying it's full of people. I suck as much as the next person. I avoid belief systems that don't justify my belief, which is another matter altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality