Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:47 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It was a jab at the KJV-only movement. Growing up IFB, I was taught to believe that the King James Version is the only inspired English Bible, and all others water it down. The KJV, per this belief, is the only English Bible translated from the texts actually used by the apostles. The saying is that "if the KJV is good enough for Peter and Paul its good enough for me."

Independent Fundamental Baptists are the most politically active and influential Christian group, so per them, the KJV would be the official version.
Oh...got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 02:45 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
I can hear the sound of all of the high tech industries preparing to move out of state, along with the entire educated segment of the population.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:31 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Apparently Mississippi passed a law that even allows medical doctors to refuse service. I only read a comment about it so it may not be as bad but 5he commenter claimed that the laws was the worse of all of the anti gay state laws.

Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes. It pains me to say so as America has been good to me in my career...but these days!!!
I've visited the US two or three times a year since 1974, and I have enjoyed my time there very much. But over the last two or three years I've noticed a sort of gradual form of group madness that is very disturbing. I have to admit that these laws put forward by some southern states do not surprise me at all.

Last edited by albion; 04-01-2016 at 01:10 AM..

Old 04-01-2016, 01:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Unfortunately it's becoming the laughing stock of the world.
We're already there!

I never thought I would grow up to find myself in a country that is sinking as I watch in horror.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:19 AM

All one has to do is look at other countries on this planet that are ruled by religion to see that this is a bad idea.

Our forefathers were intelligent enough to learn from what they observed during their place in history.

This news is terrifying.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:31 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I've visited the US two or three times a year since 1974, and I have enjoyed my time there very much. But over the last two or three years I've noticed a sort of gradual form of group madness that is very disturbing. I have to admit that these laws put forward by some southern states do not surprise me at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
We're already there!

I never thought I would grow up to find myself in a country that is sinking as I watch in horror.
Quote:
All one has to do is look at other countries on this planet that are ruled by religion to see that this is a bad idea.

Our forefathers were intelligent enough to learn from what they observed during their place in history.

This news is terrifying.
Unfortunately, I must concur chaps. That the most militarily powerful country in the world has so many people that think angels are real and who would happily blow us all to smithereens if they thought that was what their imaginary friend wished, is indeed terrifying!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:42 AM

On second thought this is interesting, but I doubt it will pass constitutionally. While the First Amendment indicates Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..."

The Supreme Court has ruled that it applies to the States as well. Establishing the Bible as the State book, is the establishment of religion.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:38 PM

Yes finally some sanity in politics!!!

It would have been a total violation of the First Amendment passing this bill! Thank the Universe that the Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam put a stop to this insane christian fundamentalist bill.

Quote:
Haslam noted that he disagrees "with those who are trying to drive religion out of the public square," but said it'd be a violation of both the Tennessee and U.S. Constitutions to make a sacred text the official state book.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Haslam Vetoes Bible Bill

I knew all along this could not pass...I am just surprised that any politician would even try. Just goes to show how desperate fundamentalists are becoming in the US.

Last edited by Matadora; 04-14-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:

This news is terrifying.
"Our forefathers" is why this Country is so Religiously oriented.
The Indigenous People were not at all Religious...so, guess how it got to be that way?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality