Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 02:22 PM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,679,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Mordantsplaining? That's a new one.
I know. It fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:26 PM

1,504 posts, read 848,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No, you are imaginative and creative. You aren't stupid unless you claim that this is anything other than your own thinking / preference / imagination or that you have testable evidence or logical argument in its favor simply because you assert it (or perhaps because others agree with you and make similar assertions, or because these assertions are ancient, etc. etc.).

You aren't maximally stupid unless you claim the right to decry others as idiotic / wrong / evil / devious for not imagining what you imagine, despite not being able to substantiate your claim as anything other than what it pleases you to believe is true.

One thing I have learned about being a know it all...is that no one has ALL the information to make a claim on what is perfectly true or not. No one has the claim on total reality or truth because no one will have all the information. I do not call atheists evil....I might call them arrogant or ignorant - because in my mind all is possible.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I know. It fit.
Can you please define "mordantsplaining?"

Old 04-04-2016, 02:42 PM

19,823 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
One thing I have learned about being a know it all...is that no one has ALL the information to make a claim on what is perfectly true or not. No one has the claim on total reality or truth because no one will have all the information. I do not call atheists evil....I might call them arrogant or ignorant - because in my mind all is possible.
For us all is possible too. Most of us don't make the knowledge claim that there is no god or that gods aren't possible. And I suspect we would all agree that there is no such thing as 100% objective certainty in any given matter.

The debate between us isn't about that though. It's about what constitutes a reasonable probability to assign to things like gods generally, your god specifically, or the odds that established and proven science, where it disagrees with a holy book, is apt to be wrong. And that begs the question: what is the best way to estimate probabilities? Should it be based on quasi disciplines like theology, failed epistemologies like faith, or on methodologies with a proven track record such as the scientific method and the branches of philosophy such as mathematics and logic that support it?

So now that I have explained to you that atheists generally embrace, as you claim to, that all knowledge is somewhat subjective and uncertain ... that it is not a matter of certainty but of probability ... and that we need to agree on a methodology that assigns fairly accurate probabilities to things based on proven methodologies that control for confirmation bias ... are you just going to fall back on spouting your beliefs and claiming I'm arrogant because I don't accept them? Or are you willing to acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, there is some validity to the methodology that causes the computer you're reading this on and the network it's connected to, to do its job?

Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM

18,461 posts, read 9,106,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
It's true that anything is possible. It's possible that Giant Space Crabs will murder you in your sleep tonight.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:43 PM

19,823 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
He is just riffing on the portmanteau "mansplaining" which is when a man explains something condescendingly to a woman. It's just a way of asking me if I've quit beating my wife.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
as a reader, my layman's take on it is "don't put words in my mouth"

Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We will raise people out of poverty, provide health care for all, and otherwise make the world a better place and when your head is done exploding you will notice that the sky will not have fallen and, in fact, there are aspects of your life that are better. And guess what? You will still be able to worship god any old way that you please. You will just not be able to marginalize and demonize people who don't worship the way that you please, or who don't worship at all.
If this is an example of mordantsplaining.... I'm a fan.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:18 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
How about mordstruating? Nothing but love for ya brother. I know you can handle it.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:32 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
But that is the point: The accusation is consistently directed against religious reactionaries but the behavior is practiced by atheists as well. It is anti-moderation itself that typifies the problem.

Do you realize that on a thread the use of the analytical mind between theist and non theist you quoted a non theist? I was actually trying to explain to TZ she was making a cognitive error in attributing this trait to atheists and not humanity in general. She kinda sorta agreed with me but then added this : I decline to use the phrase "human behavior" because that phrase implies it is behavior that is universal and shared by all humans. In this case, insulting others and belittling others and ridiculing others is by no means universal or desirable behavior.

Does that sound analytical to you? Can a person decide they don't like a certain behavior and change the definition of human and/or behavior to suit themselves and project it away on other people? I guess so. If you are going to use the argument that it is non theists leveling it against people CONSISTENTLY I think it would be to your advantage to choose an instance where a non theist is doing it and not one trying to talk a theist off the ledge.

PS you are doing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality