Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM

19,773 posts, read 13,311,795 times

Advertisements

Personally I am, in principle, willing to consider Christianty's claims of transformed lives on more of an overall basis. But ... sadly, Christians are not under-represented in prison populations, evangelicals have higher divorce rates, etc.

Besides, when you consider the extravagant claims of Christianity concerning being "made new" and getting "discernment" via the Holy Spirit, etc., you really do have to wonder about extreme examples like this. The OP is right, these guys should never get hired in the first place. Lightning bolts from heaven should fry them for even making pretense to godly leadership. Yet somehow, they not only get hired on a regular basis, they are often excused and enabled and their crimes swept under the rug.

Of course that is always Someone Else doing it; it could never happen at MY church.

And yet ... it does. My childhood church hired a pastor whose last name, ironically, was Kindheart. He was anything but. Split the church, took off with the funds and half the members, saying he was going South to "build a tabernacle" someplace. Eventually his followers came back, thoroughly fleeced. A classic con man who made it past the "discernment" of our Board of Elders. My guess is that he was cheap and charismatic, and that carried the day. He promised to liven up our moribund little country church, and in a sense, boy did he deliver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 09:30 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,912,470 times
They have a tough sheriff in Maricopa County that sets up a tent- city desert -like- dwelling for inmates and feeds them out-of date bologna. I hope this individual(won't call him pastor) gets fleeced while in prison as inmates like to confiscate others commissary. If he does the fleecing himself, he will have to answer to Bubba, a sad day that will be. He better find the good book and stick to scripture.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:33 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,912,470 times
Like I have said before God is the final judge.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:34 AM

261 posts, read 155,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
It really is time that an independent screening board be set up for all of these "men of god" who have and keep falling by the wayside. The religious privilege needs to stop.

Walter White Lives! Indiana Pastor Pleads Guilty to Producing Almost 100 Tons of Synthetic Drugs

Using his church to manufacture drugs? (His brother was arrested for a similar charge running a drug operation in Sheriff Arpaio's Maricopa County). Seriously, where is the screening, and I mean deep screening, that occurs? Why are the churches not stepping up and looking at these guys before they even get accepted into seminaries, never mind preaching.

Arggggh.....

You don't have to be religious to be a bad person, but it helps!

Old 04-01-2016, 09:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
You don't have to be religious to be a bad person, but it helps!
Being religious / evangelical does seem to make it so easy (and forgivable) to sin against your neighbor..

Old 04-01-2016, 09:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,034,648 times
Quote:
I'm aware of that, but it seems many of the evangelicals hold him up as a virtue of how justice should be done, especially against those darn illegal Mexicans.
His fans have bought into what he sells (himself) and turn a blind eye to his law-breaking and malfeasance. There are none so blind and those who will not see.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,109,556 times
Quote:
It really is time that an independent screening board be set up for all of these "men of god" who have and keep falling by the wayside. The religious privilege needs to stop.

Walter White Lives! Indiana Pastor Pleads Guilty to Producing Almost 100 Tons of Synthetic Drugs

Using his church to manufacture drugs? (His brother was arrested for a similar charge running a drug operation in Sheriff Arpaio's Maricopa County). Seriously, where is the screening, and I mean deep screening, that occurs? Why are the churches not stepping up and looking at these guys before they even get accepted into seminaries, never mind preaching.

Arggggh.....
It's a sad day when unbelievers masquerade as pastors and give Christians a bad name.

I have no idea what this guy's credentials look like. I can tell you that I did have to apply to seminary and my life was looked at by the profs when I was there. I did an internship in a church, and in the past 3 years I have been accountable to a number of other pastors. When I go before my ordination council next month I will be questioned on my life.

The sad thing is though, it's like any other area of life--there will be impostors.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,091,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's a sad day when unbelievers masquerade as pastors and give Christians a bad name.

I have no idea what this guy's credentials look like. I can tell you that I did have to apply to seminary and my life was looked at by the profs when I was there. I did an internship in a church, and in the past 3 years I have been accountable to a number of other pastors. When I go before my ordination council next month I will be questioned on my life.

The sad thing is though, it's like any other area of life--there will be impostors.
Yet every day a new group take to the air waves and other assorted media and set up shop and start the cycle all over again--selling salvation for dollars and fear for prayers...

Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,109,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Yet every day a new group take to the air waves and other assorted media and set up shop and start the cycle all over again--selling salvation for dollars and fear for prayers...
OK? And why do you believe that represents Christianity? Guys like you claim we don't do enough to condemn them. The sad fact is, when we DO condemn them and say they're wrong and that they're fleecing the flock, and that there IS a difference between charlatans and Christians, then we get people telling us we can't judge and that anyone that claims to be a Christian ought to be taken at their word. So which is it?

Can we or can we not actually agree that words have meanings and that sometimes people will falsely claim to represent a religion?

Old 04-01-2016, 03:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,879,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK? And why do you believe that represents Christianity? Guys like you claim we don't do enough to condemn them. The sad fact is, when we DO condemn them and say they're wrong and that they're fleecing the flock, and that there IS a difference between charlatans and Christians, then we get people telling us we can't judge and that anyone that claims to be a Christian ought to be taken at their word. So which is it?

Can we or can we not actually agree that words have meanings and that sometimes people will falsely claim to represent a religion?
Vizio, I'm pretty sure that among normal, good Christians, that they cannot agree how to represent the religion. We wouldn't have all the different sects if we did. Heck, even the Anabaptists have 3 or more different interpretations on how to proceed. You have at least 2 groups of Mennonites, 3 groups of Hutterites, and even the Amish are segmenting, all with different approaches what it means to be an Anabaptist, never mind a Christian.

So whose definition is the 'right' definition of what it means to be a Christian. Every sect has a different answer, they all think they are the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality