Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if you are religious and think your holy book is inspired by God, who do you think wrote the other holy books. I can't answer that one even though I was once involved with a Christian sect because I never thought about it. For example, if you are Christian do you think a human wrote the Quran or the Buddhist holy book or do you think it was something more sinister? Do you think these holy books were planted by Satan to mislead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
From the Islamic point of view, God's message of monotheism was revealed upon Jesus through Bible. And upon Moses through Torah.

Whether that message is preserved in its original form, is a matter of difference in opinion; however, Islam does not consider these two books as Satanic in anyway. Both these books were holy when they were in their original form.

Matter of fact, it's a part of Islamic faith to believe in the Prophethood of Jesus and Moses. You won't see or hear a true follower of Islamic faith attacking Jesus Moses Abraham Lot, Jackob Jonah etc, as these were all holy men of God who are placed on the highest echelon of humanity.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:16 PM

Thank you for explaining that. So do you see Christians as followers of Allah as well? What about other faiths like Buddhist that aren't Abrahamic in origin?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:42 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Thank you for explaining that. So do you see Christians as followers of Allah as well? What about other faiths like Buddhist that aren't Abrahamic in origin?
From the Islamic faith, there is only one God. In Arabic, the word used for God is Allah, and hence Muslims believe that Muslims, Christian and Jews follow the same God. Whether Christians and Jews believe the same, is their own opinion, which they are entitled to, and Muslims have no issue with it.

So far as the Budhism goes, Islamic faith believes God sent at least one prophet with the message of monotheism to every nation in the human history. I personally think that a prophet may have been also sent to those who are these days called Buddhists; however, over the course of thousands of years, the message of monotheism was slowly evolved into modern day Budhism. And the same goes with Hinduism. Again, that's my personal opinion, and I may be wrong.

There is a short and interesting video on YT which broadcasts an opinion of how holy men of God were turned into gods by their followers over the years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9OWjO97rk

Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the video. Can I have your commentary on?

Being raised the way I was I was just told everyone else was mislead by the devil so I know NOTHING about other's faith. That was one of the things that tipped me off something wasn't right. I would go to school and see there wasn't much different than me from worldly people. I just internalized that I must have the same black mark on me as worldlies and just couldn't see it. certainly nothing so special about me that I should live while others died. I like to think I am cooler than most, but doesn't everyone at some point? I just couldn't conceive of a way that I was so much cooler that I deserved something other's didn't.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post

So far as the Budhism goes, Islamic faith believes God sent at least one prophet with the message of monotheism to every nation in the human history. I personally think that a prophet may have been also sent to those who are these days called Buddhists; however, over the course of thousands of years, the message of monotheism was slowly evolved into modern day Budhism. And the same goes with Hinduism. Again, that's my personal opinion, and I may be wrong.

Actually, Buddhism is a nontheistic religion which started as an alternative to Hinduism with its many gods. Hinduism is not a monotheistic religion. Buddhism started as a nontheistic religion.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:42 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
I was wondering if you are religious and think your holy book is inspired by God, who do you think wrote the other holy books. I can't answer that one even though I was once involved with a Christian sect because I never thought about it. For example, if you are Christian do you think a human wrote the Quran or the Buddhist holy book or do you think it was something more sinister? Do you think these holy books were planted by Satan to mislead?
I think Holy books are Divine in nature.

I guess the main difference is that my religion doesn't preach that it's the only correct one or that other people can't have valid and true paths to God that differ from our own.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:04 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
When I was a believer in Christianity I assumed that other holy books were wrongly held to be holy, were authored by humans, and while they perhaps had some value as wisdom literature, were not inspired by any deity.

You know ... the same thing I now think about ALL holy books.

And there was an implicit thought that "other" holy books were "counterfeit holy books", and therefore deceptive and misleading and such harms were greater than whatever inherent value they might have.

Every person's holy book / religion / deity is sacrosanct; it's only the others that aren't.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:09 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
From the Islamic point of view, God's message of monotheism was revealed upon Jesus through Bible. And upon Moses through Torah.

Whether that message is preserved in its original form, is a matter of difference in opinion; however, Islam does not consider these two books as Satanic in any way. Both these books were holy when they were in their original form.
There is some understandable concern that parts of Islam have not exactly embraced Christianity and Judaism as alternate paths to spiritual truth or enlightenment -- your relatively liberal sentiments notwithstanding.

I wonder what Muslims think of atheists and their right to exist and participate equally in society?

Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

You know ... the same thing I now think about ALL holy books.
How dare you sir!!! How dare you hold yourself to the same standard you hold others to. JK I think that ability actually helped me achieve escape velocity as well. nice work.

I watched this video( doesn't he remind you of Vincent Price?) and it seems like a lot of what is going on between the Jews and Hindus is political. Very smart on their part to cooperate. It probably ticks off some True Believers, but they are usually ticked off no matter what anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3eMbItvrk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality