Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 02:08 PM

18,438 posts, read 9,062,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The difference is that my morality is not based on my opinion or the opinion of another human being but is based on the opinion of our Creator.

Civil government does not make morality. It makes law.

What I'm asking is how you know that murder is bad? Why is it bad? If it's only your opinion that it is, then it's not binding on anyone else. Your inability to give an answer for that is what is very telling.
You define morality as "whatever the Christian God says is moral." Not everyone agrees.

I really don't understand your whole line of argument. The fact that no one has discovered a mathematical proof of some kind of irrefutable moral code isn't evidence for Ra, Thor, Allah, the Christian God, or any of the other deities that humans have believed in. You're attempting to use the "ignorance is evidence for God" fallacy again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:13 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,289,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I have zero reason to believe in Thor. I have numerous reasons to believe I serve the one true God. I've had supernatural experiences. I've wrestled with the enemy. My family and friends have had supernatural experiences. I've seen people healed through the power of prayer. But even ignoring all that, the message of the gospel even on a logical plane makes sense. One of those messages is that faith in Christ defeats fear. In your world, fear is just an emotion. In reality, fear is a force on a spiritual level that chokes the very life out of you the more that you give into it. It paralyzes people. Then there is the message of uconditional love and forgiveness. In your world, respect has to EARNED, love is conditional and so is forgiveness. That does not make for a pleasant society. I don't want to live in a society where I have to do things first before someone gives me some common decency and respect.

I'm not demanding that you accept my beliefs at all. You are free to believe whatever you want. I only stand for the truth and against the attacks of atheists and the OP here is one of the disgusting attacks.

Pain was brought into this world when sin was committed and put a curse on us. That's man's fault. Not God.

Thanks, that is one of your better responses. I do think that you do not have a clue what happens in "my world". First fear is yes an emotion, one that keeps a person from doing dangerous things or not escaping from danger. If when hiking and come onto a grizzley sow with twins, it is fear that pervents one from simpy walking up to them and ignoring the danger. As far as love and repect needing to be earned you are only partly correct. I do not give great respect to someone I do not know but I do give a different type of respect to that person and that is the respect to all people until they lose that respect by their actions or words. Your use of love to me dilutes the word IMHO. I love many people but I do not love people I have never met and will never do so. I don't love my co-workers, and yet we get along great and they awere not mistreated by me simply because I did not love them. I see the meaning for the word love differently then you do but in essence I doubt there is any real difference between you meeting a stranger and me meeting that same stranger in as far as that stranger is concerned. But when dealing with some one like yourself who refuses to listen to others about what is and is not evolution that person loses any respect due to that. It would be like me claiming that Christianity is the following of the teachings of Johah and refusing all the corrections from people who know what Christianity. You are showing disrespect to each and every one who sides with science when you do that. Now you need to earn that respect by being honest about what is evolution and why you do not accept it not by making up what it must mean to us.

I live in a society in which religion plays a very small part, small enough that I only accidently know who is and who is not religious and yet it is a very polite, respectful and decent one. It is unfortutate that you have such a mistaken idea of what atheists are like and how we live. The OP might be disgusting in your view but how do you not see the threads you start on how mean athesits are when you do not even know if the person involved is an atheist, or the posts you make claiming that we cannot value life, that we must look at other people just like bugs etc.

My point with Thor etc is the other gods are the truths to their believers and I have no reason to believe yours anymore than you do not believe theirs and yet you claimed that if I if I ever had felt pleasure then I must thank YOUR God. You see that as the only possiblity I guess. I personally do not think there is any evidence for any gods but I do beleive that you believe in your god to be true but I also believe that Hindu person does the same for their gods and I will not judge that one of you is true and the other is a false god like you have claimed in the past.

If you truly stand for truth then you should stop making claims that evolution is about the origin of life and that science needs to prove evolution beyond a shadow of a doubt as neither of those statements are true. You have been told that many times, send links to show you that and if you keep making those wrong statements we will keep hammering at you as you are showing total disrespect to the truth (not saying you need to accept evolution but you need to accept that evolution does not cover the origin of life and that religious people also accept evolution).

I have seen the love and respect you show to gays and lesbians, atheists and the more liberal Christians. That is not a world I wish to live in thanks. But again thanks for the thoughtful response, when you do so they are much better than those others by you.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,588,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
You're supposed to, aren't you?
Viz lives under the poverty level by choice. His wife does not work, by choice. Viz has a good gig. Viz is the only one in the family with a good gig. His choice is to make his children poor, and less well nourished.

He works for an organization more than content to have their employees work below the poverty level. That is the real sin here.

The rest is a bit of selfish. Viz does not see himself as being taken advantage of. He sees it as his calling and forgets his children are below the poverty level which makes them vulnerable. His children, living in poverty, pay the price of his choices. These little girls must submit to his authority. God tells him so.

I actually keep his children in my heart and thoughts. I hope they survive his choices.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,107,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You define morality as "whatever the Christian God says is moral." Not everyone agrees.
Great. So give me an alternative--one that is universal and objective -- not based on your's or anyone's opinion.
Quote:
I really don't understand your whole line of argument. The fact that no one has discovered a mathematical proof of some kind of irrefutable moral code isn't evidence for Ra, Thor, Allah, the Christian God, or any of the other deities that humans have believed in. You're attempting to use the "ignorance is evidence for God" fallacy again.
umm....what?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:16 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,042,519 times
Quote:
My family and I live beneath the poverty level. I don't know what kind of "pretty good gig" you think I have.
I lived below that line most of my life. It's not such a hardship. Every suit or sports jacket I ever wore from the late 70s to two years ago was purchased at either Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Lots of people exchange high-paying, high-stress jobs for less money and more time to smell the roses.

Obviously, it's important for you to have enough spare time to write many thousands of ill-thought-out posts over the past few years. So, you chose an easy gig that doesn't pay well but affords you plenty of free time to hunt deer, kibbitz with the guys over at the post office and tell strangers on the internet they're going to hell.

So yeah, seems like a pretty good gig.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,034,648 times
Quote:
My family and I live beneath the poverty level. I don't know what kind of "pretty good gig" you think I have.
So what? You chose the job and you chose to not work a second job. You're poor? So are the people picking tomatoes when it's 110 and digging ditches when it's minus 10. Cry me a river... People doing manual labor would love to have your gig.

Why you keep telling us you're poor I don't know. Big whoop. Millions of people are poor. You chose to be poor....and seem to enjoy wearing the hair shirt.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-08-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So what? You chose the job and you chose to not work a second job.
You're poor? So are the people picking tomatoes when it's 110 and digging ditches when it's minus 10. Cry me a river....people doing manual labor would love o have your gig.
You're absolutely correct. I am not complaining, nor am I suggesting that I have a horrible life. I would not trade it for anything.

But I hardly have a "good gig", as was insinuated...as if I'm a megachurch televangelist pastor making a million a year.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:23 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,583,850 times
Quote:
You're absolutely correct. I am not complaining, nor am I suggesting that I have a horrible life. I would not trade it for anything.

But I hardly have a "good gig", as was insinuated...as if I'm a megachurch televangelist pastor making a million a year.
So god gave you a skill that would earn you a 6 figure salary and you chose to not use that skill to at the minimum give it away to feed starving children?

Really?

you are quite the roll model for your kid, sport.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
So god gave you a skill that would earn you a 6 figure salary and you chose to not use that skill to at the minimum give it away to feed starving children?

Really?
Why do you believe that God would value that more?
Quote:
you are quite the roll model for your kid, sport.
Actually, I'm kind of round. I'm working on that, but I'm still pretty round. I can roll pretty well.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:49 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,583,850 times
Doh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality