Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Once a fundie gets an idea, they can't let go, no matter how delusional is.
A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind. ---- Robert Oxton Bolton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 01:48 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind. ---- Robert Oxton Bolton
so atheists are possessed then?

Old 04-10-2016, 01:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Read the quote again. Slowly. So. It. Sinks. In.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, when an idea possesses the mind it is often the birth of delusion and cannot be changed...This is most often seen in religion and conspiracy theories....

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.......Unknown

Old 04-10-2016, 02:46 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Interesting, and somewhat thought provoking short article in Huff Post.

On Religion
In the article you linked to Dana Agmon or is it Dana Sekhmet? wrote:

God isn’t going to solve our problems. We are the only ones responsible for our behavior. We as individuals first and foremost, and those who tell you that one person cannot make a difference are exactly wrong. It is an individual work that requires all of us to practice it to gain the powerful result of peace.

And just how does Dana know God isn't going to solve our problems? Who made her the final say-so on that? What is her proof? Dana doesn't want us to believe God that He is in charge. Yet she wants us to believe her.

And how did Dana come to understand the latter two sentences? She has no proof we are the only ones responsible. The Bible doesn't say humanity is responsible for their behavior. It just says all will give an account (account = logos [word] in Greek) and such a word does not address responsibility.

If there is ever peace on this earth, it will only come about by God bringing it about by causing humans to get along.

Dan_4:35 All abiding on the earth are reckoned as naught:According to His will is He doing in the army of the heavens and with those abiding on the earth. And no one will actually clap with his hands and say to Him, "What doest Thou?

I think I will believe God's word over that of a fallible human such as Dana.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:49 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Let me rephrase to show you the problem...

Atheism = lack of belief in a god.

So, "Is the lack of belief in a god a thought or a knowledge?"

And the answer is, neither! There is no claim to either believe there is no god or to know there is no god, there is simply a lack of both regard the positive existence of god. I don't think there is a god, I don't know there is a god, I don't believe there is a god.

The reason you can't get a "straight" answer is that it is a dishonest question.
-NoCapo
No.
Let's look at this way.

Our death is a common denomator. Both a believer and the atheist cannot deny it. Both know that they WILL die on day. (Unless you now bring a new twist to the tail that Atheist lack the belief in death too)

Now, A believer believes that because God exists, after my death I will meet God.

Lack of this believe means, an Atheist BELIEVES that since God does not exist, I am not going to face God.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:15 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
Let's look at this way.

Our death is a common denomator. Both a believer and the atheist cannot deny it. Both know that they WILL die on day. (Unless you now bring a new twist to the tail that Atheist lack the belief in death too)

Now, A believer believes that because God exists, after my death I will meet God.

Lack of this believe means, an Atheist BELIEVES that since God does not exist, I am not going to face God.
Is all atheist means is that a person doesn't see evidence for a deity.

What seems most reasonable to me now is that when we die our energy is broken down and recycled just like our physical bodies. I don't have any solid evidence for that so it is likely to change as time goes on. So saying I do or don't believe about God is not the same way as you say you believe there is a God. You are coming from a knowledge position where I am not.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,786,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No.
Let's look at this way.

Again, this is simply wrong. I don't have to have a positive belief here either. If I lack a belief in God, I will of course lack a belief that it will judge me... You are trying to sneak the assertion, or positive belief that God does not exist in the back door. Why the dishonesty, the attempt to make me say what I have already rejected?

I still have not taken a faith or belief position, so the question of gnosis ( thought or knowledge) doesn't even enter the picture.
It is amazing to me how hard believers fight to portray every one as a believer. You guys work so hard to deny the possibility of unbelief. Why?

-NoCapo

Old 04-10-2016, 03:49 PM

There is a basic difference between atheists and theists....An atheist accepts that he is mortal and death will end his existence , but a theist because of fear, or other reasons will not accept his/her mortality.

Gods were all invented because people feared the unknown and death.

Old 04-10-2016, 04:42 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In the article you linked to Dana Agmon or is it Dana Sekhmet? wrote:

God isn’t going to solve our problems. We are the only ones responsible for our behavior. We as individuals first and foremost, and those who tell you that one person cannot make a difference are exactly wrong. It is an individual work that requires all of us to practice it to gain the powerful result of peace.

And just how does Dana know God isn't going to solve our problems? Who made her the final say-so on that? What is her proof? Dana doesn't want us to believe God that He is in charge. Yet she wants us to believe her.

And how did Dana come to understand the latter two sentences? She has no proof we are the only ones responsible. The Bible doesn't say humanity is responsible for their behavior. It just says all will give an account (account = logos [word] in Greek) and such a word does not address responsibility.

If there is ever peace on this earth, it will only come about by God bringing it about by causing humans to get along.

Dan_4:35 All abiding on the earth are reckoned as naught:According to His will is He doing in the army of the heavens and with those abiding on the earth. And no one will actually clap with his hands and say to Him, "What doest Thou?

I think I will believe God's word over that of a fallible human such as Dana.
Sorry, just because we don't know something about our universe, does not mean you get to pull the god of the gaps card. Goddunnit is not a theory, and not even a plausible hypothesize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality