Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:56 PM

23,124 posts, read 10,422,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
It seems that more and more people are embracing creationism and / or pseudo science (vortex solar systems, spirit science). Why are people turning away from science to embrace these ideologies and conspiracy theories? The number of people believing in this is rising. Isn't this problematic for our future going forward?
The bible actually teaches evolution where God first resided in the skins of animals, this evolves to human skins and all the bible is doing from cover to cover is teaching us how to overcome the mind of a beast, that we should die to that mind and way of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 03:01 PM

23,124 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Here we go OP! More evidence of the scientifically illiterate folks.

Why is is so hard for you to google search "theory" vs. "scientific theory"? They are not one in the same...but how would you know?

LOL, Took my mom outside and pointed up at the milky way and said,'' That light you are seeing started coming here over a million years ago, how is the world only 6000 years old?''

She believes God put all that in place, that he created it already as it was with an earth full of dino bones that never really lived, God just put the bones in the ground as they are.

What was it that Morpheus says?

'' Once a mind gets a certain age, it is almost impossible to free.''

Or what Jesus said.

'' Put new wine in old wine skins and the skins will burst.''

Old 04-08-2016, 03:18 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
It seems that more and more people are embracing creationism and / or pseudo science (vortex solar systems, spirit science). Why are people turning away from science to embrace these ideologies and conspiracy theories? The number of people believing in this is rising. Isn't this problematic for our future going forward?
I don't suspect people are turning away from science....at least, not substantially more than turning TO science....but I would say technology (e.g. science) has made it easy enough for even science-deniers to use advanced forms of communication. Like the internet.

Think about how ubiquitous the internet is when you have people denigrating the very methodologies which permit their ability to disseminate such denigration. But of course the answer is always "oh not THAT science...that's real"

Old 04-08-2016, 03:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
turning away from science if like turning away from accounting.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:51 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
There is actually a science of why we don't believe science

The Science of Why We Don't Believe Science | Mother Jones

Old 04-08-2016, 06:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

That's a great article L8....thanks for sharing!

Old 04-08-2016, 07:10 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Exactly...and this is the issue I was trying to get over to Tzapkiel what he/she sees as 'insults'.

When one sees the persistent wilful scientific ignorance that we come across here on a daily basis.
When one keeps hearing fundies claiming that 'Evolution is only a theory'.
When it has been explained to them again and again what a theory is in scientific terms and yet they still persist in coming out with such blatantly idiotic statements as...'well if evolved from monkeys how come we still have monkeys' ... there comes a time when one just has to say, 'you're an idiot!' - because they ARE!
Rafius, i've never said any of those things. those are topics that do not interest me at all. it's like you have this one-sided conversation going on in your head and then you randomly pick people to vent your upset on, who have nothing to do with the one-sided conversation in your head. it's not rational. It's like you're mad at somebody in your head and you pick some random person to blame for it.

it's like my friend who got really mad at me, and I finally asked her why are you so mad at me and she said because in her dream last night i did something that upset her. What is going on in your head has nothing to do with the person you are talking to.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,281,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Rafius, i've never said any of those things. those are topics that do not interest me at all. it's like you have this one-sided conversation going on in your head and then you randomly pick people to vent your upset on, who have nothing to do with the one-sided conversation in your head. it's not rational. It's like you're mad at somebody in your head and you pick some random person to blame for it.

it's like my friend who got really mad at me, and I finally asked her why are you so mad at me and she said because in her dream last night i did something that upset her. What is going on in your head has nothing to do with the person you are talking to.

I don't think he is accusing you of saying those particular things, but accusing you of labeling his responses to those who say the stupid things as insults .

Old 04-08-2016, 10:54 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

Very interesting...

Old 04-09-2016, 12:51 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
...not only is the US full of scientifically illiterate people it also has it's fair share of information illiteracy.
What can you expect when ove 80% of the population thinks angels are real?

Quote:
If anyone wants to understand how this happens to a thriving economy just study the collapse of Arabic Golden Age.
Precisely! They were living in marble palaces with running water when the rest of us were living in mud huts...then came the fundies and look what happened. That's how people like Vizio and Jeff would have our future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Sorry old beast. I'm not saying that you said those things but that those are the sort of things we hear and it's those sort of things that tend to rile us up...well rile me up that is. I can't abide wilful ignorance.

Quote:
...it's like my friend who got really mad at me, and I finally asked her why are you so mad at me and she said because in her dream last night i did something that upset her. What is going on in your head has nothing to do with the person you are talking to.
LOL! I had a similar thing with an old girlfriend of mine. She dreamt that I had run off for a 'dirty weekend' with her friend...she didn't speak to me all day!
WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I don't think he is accusing you of saying those particular things, but accusing you of labeling his responses to those who say the stupid things as insults .
You have it Sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality