Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:16 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Seems everyone has a story to tell. Not only are "atheists" converting, but evangelicals seem to be saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..

Salvation was attached to belief, and in order to protect my belief I had to censor my thoughts. The book of Mark says that “whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”. So I was careful to never even think a thought that could be considered blasphemous. This was profoundly exhausting; and while I was mostly successful at repressing my intellectual curiosity during the day, once sleep came I lost all security clearance to my own mind.

Raised under the dark bubble of religious fundamentalism, Josiah Hesse recalls a childhood filled with gloom, doom and preparing for the end of the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 10:06 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
It's a story that's all too common, unfortunately.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:08 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems everyone has a story to tell. Not only are "atheists" converting, but evangelicals seem to be saying ENOUGH IS ENOUGH..

Salvation was attached to belief, and in order to protect my belief I had to censor my thoughts. The book of Mark says that “whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”. So I was careful to never even think a thought that could be considered blasphemous. This was profoundly exhausting; and while I was mostly successful at repressing my intellectual curiosity during the day, once sleep came I lost all security clearance to my own mind.

Raised under the dark bubble of religious fundamentalism, Josiah Hesse recalls a childhood filled with gloom, doom and preparing for the end of the world
I'm sorry that you were taught a religion of fear instead of a religion of rest. I just preached Hebrews 4 last week. Jesus is our rest--we don't have to worry about pleasing God -- because Jesus did it for us. If we trust in Christ, he will never cast us out.

I'm sorry that your experience in a "Christian" church has taught you to fear and distrust religion.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sorry that you were taught a religion of fear instead of a religion of rest. I just preached Hebrews 4 last week. Jesus is our rest--we don't have to worry about pleasing God -- because Jesus did it for us. If we trust in Christ, he will never cast us out.

I'm sorry that your experience in a "Christian" church has taught you to fear and distrust religion.
You have said that all humans deserve to be killed by your god, and that only a cosmic human sacrifice can save them.

That's not exactly puppies and kittens.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
You have said that all humans deserve to be killed by your god, and that only a cosmic human sacrifice can save them.

That's not exactly puppies and kittens.
Considering that God offers forgiveness completely free and without strings, I'd say it's even better.

I have 2 cats. They're kind of crazy sometimes. Especially when I'm trying to sleep and they decide to play tag across my chest and face at 2 am.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Considering that God offers forgiveness completely free and without strings, I'd say it's even better.
No strings? Really? You don't think craven submission to a mass-murdering psychopath counts as strings?

Your god operates in the same manner as a Mafia boss: he commits random acts of terror on the populace, and then offers to save people from his own wrath in exchange for money and unconditional obedience.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
No strings? Really? You don't think craven submission to a mass-murdering psychopath counts as strings?
No strings. No mass-murdering psychopathic behavior, either.
Quote:
Your god operates in the same manner as a Mafia boss: he commits random acts of terror on the populace, and then offers to save people from his own wrath in exchange for money and unconditional obedience.

Actually, he judges the guilty and punishes the wicked, but it's amazing how even the most evil of criminals think the police are bad when they're on the wrong side of the law.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
No strings..
Ok, so you don't mind if I don't attend church then, right?

Quote:
No mass-murdering psychopathic behavior, either.
There's plenty of it in the Old Testament.

Quote:
Actually, he judges the guilty and punishes the wicked, but it's amazing how even the most evil of criminals think the police are bad when they're on the wrong side of the law.
I don't think the people killed by your god were given a fair trial. And it's funny how he had to use the Israelites to do his dirty work.

Do you think that your god used the US military to dish out his righteous wrath against the native Americans? The natives were non-believing heathens, as you know.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Ok, so you don't mind if I don't attend church then, right?
Anytime you're in south central Nebraska, message me and I'll be happy to have you visit my church on a Sunday morning. Heck, I'll show you around on a Tuesday afternoon if you'd like.
Quote:

There's plenty of it in the Old Testament.
No..there really isn't. We've been through this.
Quote:

I don't think the people killed by your god were given a fair trial. And it's funny how he had to use the Israelites to do his dirty work.
Considering he made them and he is omniscient, it was plenty fair.
Quote:
Do you think that your god used the US military to dish out his righteous wrath against the native Americans? The natives were non-believing heathens, as you know.
I would not begin to make such a statement. I know of no verse or doctrine that would suggest that God would so such a thing.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Gee, I see you attended my childhood church too. They always talked about "good news" and "salvation" and "god is love". As a child, all I ever could make of it is that it was anything but good news, it was more like a horror story that never ended. According the bible they preached from, wide is the path to destruction and narrow is the path to salvation. The "good news" included goats and sheep as well as a very judgmental all powerful entity who didn't want to ever see you again if you didn't worship him correctly or believe exactly as you were instructed. Translation, most people you know are going to hell and will experience eternal never ending pain, suffering and agony.

How the hell is that good news ? It was beyond me as child, and now as an adult it's makes me angry that this crap is still being espoused and taught to people seeking meaning in life and who just want a little bit of understanding and hope in their lives.

There is a great energy in the universe. It is all that is and that includes us....all of us humans and all that is. We aren't separate from "it"....we ARE it. No one will be suffering eternally. It may take us many lifetimes/experiences to remember who we really are, learn our lessons and experience any karma we need to work off if we've doing terrible things to others...but I do have good news for you. In the end, we ALL win ! No one will be "lost" or cast into any horrible eternal and painful "lake of fire". Can you imagine doing that to any of your children/friends/neighbors ? And yet, we're called the "fallen" and "sinful". Makes me angry to think people have been and are in some cases being taught this crap.

Last edited by jasper1372; 04-08-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality