Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 01:28 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times

Advertisements

The answer is yes you are putting yourself in harm's way. I have no interest in your beliefs or your theology. And I will not participate in this thread further. But what you are doing is very dangerous. Please use a different example. We like you and want you to continue to be here with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 01:42 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I do pray. For one, I pray because God commands it.

How robotic.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Maybe it means that God ordained that I would pray.
So then the same God ordained that Ted Bundy would rape and kill women.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
So then the same God ordained that Ted Bundy would rape and kill women.
Only in the sense that he permitted it. He did not prescribe it or decree it.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Has the probability of God making it happen increased?
Quote:
I have said that God will not have his arm twisted and be forced to do anything. Yet, he tells us to pray, and we know that God has answered prayers. I'm speculating here, Freak--I told you that I honestly don't know exactly how it all works out.
Prayer sounds more like begging than demanding (i.e. twisting his arm or forcing him to do something). So I'm not suggesting that prayer is forcing the Christian God to do something.

You believe that there is a chance that God will grant a prayer request. So logically you must believe that I am more likely to be involved in a fatal car accident than I was before I prayed. No?

Or does the Christian God (hopefully, for my sake) ignore the prayers of atheists?

Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Prayer sounds more like begging than demanding (i.e. twisting his arm or forcing him to do something). So I'm not suggesting that prayer is forcing the Christian God to do something.

You believe that there is a chance that God will grant a prayer request. So logically you must believe that I am more likely to be involved in a fatal car accident than I was before I prayed. No?

Or does the Christian God (hopefully, for my sake) ignore the prayers of atheists?

Actually...now, there's a good point. I should have pointed that out from the start. The Bible says that all non-Christians are at odds with God. He doesn't listen to your prayers. I'm sorry...but he just doesn't. That's why we need a mediator -- Jesus. Without Jesus he wouldn't listen to my prayers, either.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:26 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
The answer is yes you are putting yourself in harm's way. I have no interest in your beliefs or your theology. And I will not participate in this thread further. But what you are doing is very dangerous. Please use a different example. We like you and want you to continue to be here with us.
This thread is simply an example of the foolishness and arrogance of youth. It is part of the invincibility syndrome coupled with absolute conviction that his beliefs about the non-existence of God and irrelevance of prayer are correct. Only young fools can be so certain. I've been there done that.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,959,911 times
Quote:
Dear Christian God,

Please kill me in a fiery car wreck on the way home from work this evening.

In Jesus's name I pray,

Amen.

Has my risk of a car accident increased because of my prayer?
Why not put feet on your prayer? Maybe drive 140 miles per hour and run your car head on into a semi truck. You won't because you know deep down inside that God loves you and desires the best for you.

Now then, if I pray that God will save all the atheists and former Christians, I know He will. Paul the apostle requested we pray for all mankind because God will have all mankind to be saved. Therefore, since I am praying in accord with God's will, I know it will come to pass.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
My insurance company disagrees. They don't take prayers to the Christian God (or any other god) into account when determining accident probabilities. They say I am no more likely to be involved in an accident than before I prayed.

It is possible that I will, in fact, be killed on the way home from work tonight. And if (by small chance) it happened, many of the superstitious people on this forum would no-doubt see it as divine smiting. All of the other data points would be ignored: the amputees who are never healed, all of the times that prayers are not answered, etc. Prayer works by the tendency to ignore data/results that do not support one's existing beliefs. That's called Confirmation Bias. And we never get to hear the stories of people who prayed in a desperate situation and did NOT survive. That's called the Survivorship Bias.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

If I do die in a car wreck tonight, word would get out on how God is REAL, how he can hear our thoughts, read our minds, and can punish us at any time. See how religion works? It's based on superstition. And it naturally leads to fear. It would be perfectly rational to live one's life in fear if there really is an Invisible Man watching our every move, reading our thoughts, with the ability to punish us at any time in any way. And of course, humans have learned how to use this fear to gain power, money, and control.

Last edited by Freak80; 04-08-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why not put feet on your prayer? Maybe drive 140 miles per hour and run your car head on into a semi truck. You won't because you know deep down inside that God loves you and desires the best for you.
Actually I suspect he doesn't do it because he is confident god would not intervene. Because the non-interventionist god is indistinguishable from the god the god that doesn't exist.

The better test is for anti-science believers to jump off buildings while praying for god to catch them while violating gravity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality