Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 09:53 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yeah...as if most reading my posts would assume I'm here to collect "reps"! HaHahHa.
I can count on one hand the amount of "reps" I've ever given (unless I did it by accident scrolling on my phone)...if I really dig a post I will give it props in open forum.
You won't see me giving "reps"...nor fishing for them. The few I get are usually from the Sweet Women on the board.
You won't see any "emoticons" or "Smilies" in my posts either. And I would never "report" a post or cry to the Moderators that someone wrote a post with content I did not at all agree with.
None of that has any tangible value IMO. So I couldn't care less about any of it.

Atheism IS a Religion when it is practiced the way many of you on this board practice it. Few practice their Religion with more dedication and devotion.
I don't "need to tell myself" the Mainstream Religious are "on the winning side"....a basic assessment of "The Way of The World" makes that fully evident. And THAT is the truth!!
You need to get hip to that.

You really believe The Mainstream Religious are "afraid" of Atheists?
Tell ya what...go say to those ISIS guys about Islam, Allah, and Mohammed what you say here about Christianity...see how "afraid" of you they are!
Well, you are the one always bringing people post counts and whatnot into the discussion, so I figured it mattered to you, otherwise, why constantly bring it up?

Atheism is no more a religion than talking about sports is a religion. I talk about sports and politics far more than I do religion. Not on this forum, mind you, as I have better places to do both of those things. I enjoy posting on the R & S forum, but it certainly doesn't mean I am religious about my non belief. If what we posted about on here were what we were religious about, then one could say you are religious about trolling people, or you are religious about posting the same 3 or 4 things under every thread you open, or that you are religious about making your posts hard to read, or any number of other things. See, you make the mistake of thinking you know how people live their lives outside of this forum. Here's a hint: you don't know jack.

I believe they are, yes. Why else would they hate us and find us untrustworthy? They certainly do not have a valid reason to do so, which leads me to believe it is something else. Are they afraid of atheists? Are they afraid of what atheists say? Are they so insecure with their own beliefs, that they hate those who speak against it, knowing in the back of their mind they could be right? It has to be something, because they have no valid, logical reason for thinking those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's a worldview. It may not technically be a "religion", but it has many of the same things that religions do. There are conventions for atheists...where people gather to hear speakers, they pay dues, they evangelize their worldview, etc.

Not every atheist could be said to be "religious" about it...I think most are simply unchurched, and they just don't care. But others are quite militant or "religious" about it.

Birders, stamp collectors, comic book fans all have conventions. I would guess the majority are unchurched if you mean what I am guessing you are meaning. People can be "religious" about Harley Davidson or John Deere too.

To all

In my opinion based on what I think, what I have seen, read, heard or smelt, the probablity of there being no gods or goddesses is much higher then the probabity of there being a god. And as you narrow to any specific god that probablity lessens. There is no need for knowledge of there being no god or faith that there is no god to come up with the opinion that there is more likely no god and certainly not the god of the Bible. I fail to see how religious people are unable or is it unwilling to accept that one can live their life without needing faith or proof to make a choice, one can use possibities, probablities or other means to come to a decision. If there is one God then the majority of people on this planet are wrong as no one religion has over 3.5 billion followers and if that is the case then what about the knowledge of those who are wrong.

As I said before if you claim you have faith that your god, whoever or whatever it may be, exists you do not need to have proof but once you claim that you have proof that it is your god that exists you should be able to provide that proof. I have no need to proof that in my opinion that no gods exists as I am not making the claim that he does not or cannot exist.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Birders, stamp collectors, comic book fans all have conventions. I would guess the majority are unchurched if you mean what I am guessing you are meaning. People can be "religious" about Harley Davidson or John Deere too.
But they don't have those conventions to discuss their philosophy on religion. Their groups revolve around a hobby.

Are you suggesting atheism is a hobby?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:16 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
But they don't have those conventions to discuss their philosophy on religion. Their groups revolve around a hobby.

Are you suggesting atheism is a hobby?

Or a convention on glaciology and I do not think scientists study glaciers for a hobby.

I have never been to an atheists's convention so I do not know if they discuss philosophy on any relgion. I am sure they might discuss the impact of religion on them but otherwise I do not think they would agree with you on what they discuss.

There are also conventions on security, military, computer, home etc and I doubt those are hobbies either. Sorry if I only gave examples of hobbies and you were unable or unwilling to extrapolate my intended message.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Or a convention on glaciology and I do not think scientists study glaciers for a hobby.

I have never been to an atheists's convention so I do not know if they discuss philosophy on any relgion. I am sure they might discuss the impact of religion on them but otherwise I do not think they would agree with you on what they discuss.

There are also conventions on security, military, computer, home etc and I doubt those are hobbies either. Sorry if I only gave examples of hobbies and you were unable or unwilling to extrapolate my intended message.

OK. My point is that people that claim to simply not have seen enough evidence to believe, or are "without belief" sure make a lot of effort to tell the world what their worldview is.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,721 times
Quote:

OK. My point is that people that claim to simply not have seen enough evidence to believe, or are "without belief" sure make a lot of effort to tell the world what their worldview is.
It seems very necessary, since judging by the posts here, very few theists, including yourself, have a clue. If we don't try to set the record straight, you guys will just continue making stuff up, or outright lying about us.

If theists would stop trying to use the government to enforce their religious views, stop trying to marginalize those different from you, and stop spreading falsehoods about us nonbelievers, then we wouldn't need to say much of anything.

-NoCapo

Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
It seems very necessary, since judging by the posts here, very few theists, including yourself, have a clue. If we don't try to set the record straight, you guys will just continue making stuff up, or outright lying about us.

If theists would stop trying to use the government to enforce their religious views, stop trying to marginalize those different from you, and stop spreading falsehoods about us nonbelievers, then we wouldn't need to say much of anything.

-NoCapo
I'm sorry...I just don't buy it. I've known plenty of atheists in the past that were perfectly happy to just live and let live. In previous generations this country was much more religious than it is now-but we didn't have people protesting every monument they saw in a park. The new breed of atheist today just isn't like that.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:41 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:

I notice that Christians certainly don't keep what they believe a secret, so why should we?

Tell me preacher if you also think not believing in the existence of mermaids is also a world view? Or perhaps believing in only one god out of the many thousands god myths...Is that also a world view and what if you have chosen the wrong god? I'm guessing that not collecting trading cards must also be a world view in your eyes....

Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
I'm sorry...I just don't buy it. I've known plenty of atheists in the past that were perfectly happy to just live and let live. In previous generations this country was much more religious than it is now-but we didn't have people protesting every monument they saw in a park. The new breed of atheist today just isn't like that.
Most Christians are also quite happy to live and let live, so why aren't you? Why the venom towards gays?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I notice that Christians certainly don't keep what they believe a secret, so why should we?
We're a religion. We like to evangelize. We are commanded to do so.
Quote:

Tell me preacher if you also think not believing in the existence of mermaids is also a world view? Or perhaps believing in only one god out of the many thousands god myths...Is that also a world view? I'm guessing that not collecting trading cards must also be a world view in your eyes....
I don't make a habit of going out and telling the world mermaids don't exist. I don't go to anti-mermaid conventions. I don't spend a lot of time on message boards to talk about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality