Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:47 AM

529 posts, read 508,085 times

Advertisements

I've always been agnostic, but I would like to change. People seem like they are so happy when they firmly believe in GOD, and the precepts of a particular religion. I would like this happiness and ability to affirm/ continue on in the face of negative struggles. How to I become a believer?

Note: In general I have always been a very skeptical person and an outsider. You could type cast me as a loner who once had goals, but who ultimately fell into depression. I now have goals again related to employment, but for everything else I'm just generally unhappy or bored. I think religion could change this, but I am such a firm disbeliever...Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
I've always been agnostic, but I would like to change. People seem like they are so happy when they firmly believe in GOD, and the precepts of a particular religion. I would like this happiness and ability to affirm/ continue on in the face of negative struggles. How to I become a believer?

Note: In general I have always been a very skeptical person and an outsider. You could type cast me as a loner who once had goals, but who ultimately fell into depression. I now have goals again related to employment, but for everything else I'm just generally unhappy or bored. I think religion could change this, but I am such a firm disbeliever...Help
Do you have any particular kind of faith or belief about God?

Old 04-12-2016, 12:02 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,046,540 times
Quote:

You either believe or you don't. NO ONE can make you believe in a God/Jesus Christ if you don't want to.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:10 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,010,023 times
Become an environmentalist

Old 04-12-2016, 12:53 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:

I'd avoid authoritarian groups like fundamentalist/evangelical Christianity. Maybe find a Unitarian Universalist congregation to join.

Authoritarian groups and cults prey on emotionally vulnerable people, and implant phobias (like hell for non-belief) in order to keep people trapped. It's a way of gaining power by attracting obedient followers.

Have you considered seeing a professional therapist for depression? Self-medicating with religion can be dangerous.

Last edited by Freak80; 04-12-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 01:13 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:

Read Paul's treatise on Abraham beginning with Romans 4:1 to verse 25.

Paul builds up to verse 23 that what happened with Abraham was written because of us who are ABOUT TO BE BELIEVING HIM . . . . But believing Him about what? That Christ died because of our offenses and died for our sins, was entombed and was roused the third day.

Can you just simply believe God concerning this just as Abraham believed God concerning God telling him he would be the father of many nations?

God doesn't ask you to try to figure it all out theologically. He just wants you to simply believe Him that this is so, that Christ died for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day.

If you can simply believe God concerning this then you are saved and sealed with the holy spirit of promise for the day of deliverance. You are considered righteous.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-12-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 01:45 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
How to I become a believer?
Practicing wilful ignorance would be a must.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
People seem like they are so happy when they firmly believe in GOD, and the precepts of a particular religion.
Do they? What makes you certain they are actually happy? Are all the believers you know happy, or only some? Are they all happy more so than those who aren't believers, (other than you)?

My thought is that things other than religion determine whether or not a person has a "happy" disposition, or handles adversity in a healthy way. Some of it seems to be genetics, honestly, and some of it is learned behavior. Religious beliefs may help in some instances, but some religious beliefs actually can contribute to emotional instability. You might be better off simply doing some reading about how to cultivate a positive attitude. Once you've found that "happy place" within yourself, you'd be less likely to fall into a religion that will control you through fear and other unsavory tactics.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:03 PM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do they? What makes you certain they are actually happy? Are all the believers you know happy, or only some? Are they all happy more so than those who aren't believers, (other than you)?

My thought is that things other than religion determine whether or not a person has a "happy" disposition, or handles adversity in a healthy way. Some of it seems to be genetics, honestly, and some of it is learned behavior. Religious beliefs may help in some instances, but some religious beliefs actually can contribute to emotional instability. You might be better off simply doing some reading about how to cultivate a positive attitude. Once you've found that "happy place" within yourself, you'd be less likely to fall into a religion that will control you through fear and other unsavory tactics.
Christians have to pay lip service to being happy, despite how they really feel. This, to me is one of the biggest problems.

I suppose many take solace in the idea that God loves them and is going to take care of them. And even if God has to step aside in order for somebody else's "free will" to do them harm, somehow God is still in charge.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Christians have to pay lip service to being happy, despite how they really feel. This, to me is one of the biggest problems.
No. We don't.
Quote:

I suppose many take solace in the idea that God loves them and is going to take care of them. And even if God has to step aside in order for somebody else's "free will" to do them harm, somehow God is still in charge.
Of course he's in charge. If someone harms you, it's because he allows it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality